Sign in to follow this  
X Kyle X

Kyle Skuse

Hey guys, thought id chuck a portfolio up to track my progress along the way.......hopefully you guys can give me some advice, tips, feedback.....

id like to mention atm im not using any photoediting software, just iphoto on mac, and i dont have any flash gear atm either....so most of these shots are straight of the camera with little no no work and no use of flash

the first few shots are originally shot on my 1000D with Tamron 17-55 2.8

IMG_5186.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

about a week after taking these photos i purchased myself a canon 60D....twin lens kit and then my Tamron 17-55 f2.8

i tested out the 50-250 lens ont eh 60D body at a drift day at eastern creek, this was my first ever attempt at pan shots, let me know what you guys think.....i tried quite a few different shutter sped and aperture combo as well as ISO settings.....

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

i enjoyed pan shots so much that i thought id give them another go at WTAC...again give me your feedback...

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

next step was taking the trusty DSLR down to my property in Taralga NSW....i decided to take a few different shots, some longer exposures of the creek at the bottom of my property, some early morning shots in there aswell...

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

thats it for this installment...im hoping to get some star trail photography under my belt....i just purchased a remote shutter release so i can get some longer exposures, and hopefully some really good moon shots, im struggling with these shots atm.....id also like to get some flashes and start trying some freeze motion photography.......

let me know what you guys think......

Edited by X Kyle X

Got given aperture 3 today. So hopefully can start doing a few more shots within other editing

Would you recommend shooting in RAW now??

Would you recommend shooting in RAW now??

Pro's might have a different recommendation, but as a hobbiest I recommend shooting in whatever you find suits your needs. If your needs arent being met by JPG then give RAW a try and see if that suits you better.

Edited by 019

I would definitely say to shoot in RAW. aperture 3 is a great program to start editing RAW's in. Have a play around and see what you like.

If you're starting to get a bit more serious, i'd recommend getting a monitor calibration tool like a spyder 3 and an IPS monitor too.

Photos are looking good, some photos are soft so maybe try work on your focus/keep your shutter speed a bit higher.

It's all about capturing the moment and enjoying what you're doing. Looks like that's what you're doing, so good on you!

thanks kory....love the pan shots....its always a bit of a challenge especially at longer focal lengths....ill keep chipping away on it....im pretty happy considering ive only been thinking seriously about photography for around 3 months now

most recent adventure was to our Hit and run day down at wakey.....i really wanna branch out and take some different shots just not motorsport, but atm it is most convienient form for me atm.....anyway check my shots and let me know some feedback!

oh i shot in raw this time aswell..

JackSlide.jpg

Ollie180.jpg

Gav84M-2.jpg

tylerandbiggie.jpg

JoeyR32.jpg

TylerKE70.jpg

RAW vs JPG...

the battles will begin...

heres a quick summary as to why and why not...

RAW will fill a card quicker than you can empty it, so if your machinegunning shots.. then you will need LOTS of memory... and when you are done taking them, you can spend as much time preparing them as you did shooting them... Thats pretty much the only downside...

Why??

A raw is that, its an unprocessed file that the camera captures, it contains all the data that the CMOS sensor collected before the processor made a decsiion about white balance, contrast, colours and much much more... so its like a negative, or slide film... but better.

The advantage of a raw is this, say you took the photo as a jpg and when you got home realised that the white balance was off... you can in photoshop fix that with a filter.. but you would be removing details and clairty in your image while you do it...

Pull out the raw file, open it in an editor and any changes you make before you save it are undo able.. and will not effect the quality of the end result in any way.

if you dont like the manipultaion you have made change it... or start from scratch!

The pitfalls of this is you coudl spend hours editing one shot...

I use Photoshop CS6 (the real paid for version) and the raw editor in that is fantastic, allows sooo much scope for "fixing" a picture....

but wait theres more...

if you took a shot and you fluffed the exposure, (and i mean by 1 - 2 stops) in either direction... you can bring the file back and keep it instead of throwing it away...

ill post an example...

so yes, RAW has its advantages... but it will keep you in front of a computer for longer...

so heres what i do.. i shoot RAW and JPG, yes the file sizes are larger that way... but lets face it the jpg is 1/4 of the raw so it wont slow the camera down too much... if i get it right i dont do any processing, if i get it wrong i can play with the raw... its kinda like a saftey net...

Here is an image that i took at a beach shoot, we were waiting for the waves to crash behind her, while she sat on the rock, i was on the rocks with her, with a wide lens (10-22) i had the flash on as well, and i was in manual, as i wanted the flash to light her up and i was exposing for the back ground... however as we were shooting the sun come out from behind a cloud, the manual setting was too bright and well the result was the shot was blown out in the back ground... as you can see i managed to get the clouds back... albiet looking very moody.. and yes i have used the liquify tool to make her legs look smaller..

100313 Asheigh 153_2 before after.jpg

thats some pretty handy stuff....i checked out jared polin and that dude swears by RAW....im still undecided on the 2.....if on holidays id probs shoot jpeg to fit more images on the card...but local i see raw being pretty advantageous...but my editing skills are pretty sub par i only just got aperture 3 so im still learning.....

Best tip anyone can give you is to keep practicing. Keep taking pictures and getting feedback.

Keep it up!!

took the missus to Shelly beach....these pics were taking about 2pm....i would imagine this place wold be really good to take pics at wither dawn or dusk.....i still had a pretty good time...

picture9.jpg

picture5.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Edited by X Kyle X

Just thought I'd update.

Sony have picked up one of my photos.

(The one of jack in his 180 at Wakefield park pictured above)

They have used it on the packaging and promotion of there new Sony action cam!!!

Stoked as to have my pic used in such a massive way. I'll post up some pics of it all soon.