Sign in to follow this  
Higas

S14 SR20 coil pack ohm reading.

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Okay so, my car has been running sub-optimally recently. (Occasional misfire, dropped a cylinder twice, feels sluggish at times) And I want to check a few things before I start buying parts.

My friend had lent me 4 coilpacks which he had lying around so I'm trying to see which one of these is defective before I pull mine out, as he has told me that one of them doesn't work.

I want to check my coilpacks to see if they're functioning properly. I own a cheap multimeter and have read that you can check their functionality using said item. I've read quite alot about this process on the internet but I'm unsure as to the exact process for my coilpacks because the articles i've read are all about American Cars and their coilpacks look nothing like mine.

Here's what i've been doing thus far, I've placed my multimeter on 20,000 ohms and am placing the positive and negative connectors (it doesn't seem to make a difference which one i use on which pin, nor do i know why it should) on the 1 + 2 pins on the coilpacks. This gives me a reading of 0.02 on each coil. I'm certain there's something I'm missing here, I'm sure some of you have had experience using multimeters on coilpacks before, please tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Pic related.

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing.jpg

Hey mate, easiest way to check if your coilpacks are gone is to pull the connector of each coil pack indivually while the car is on. If the idle changes then that coilpack is working fine, however if the idle doesn't change - that coilpack is gone.

Problem with the coilpacks are that once they are hot, they may cause issues with backfiring and dropping cylinders. Although the coilpacks seem fine when cold, you should test out your friends coilpacks when it's hot to make sure their working fine.

Alternatively, you can test them with a multimeter; there are 3 pins on the terminal - 3,2,1 (with the coilpack terminal facing you)

coilpack.png

Thanks buddy, would you happen to know which ohm setting on my multimeter I'm meant to use? the multimeter has settings ranging from 200 ohms to 2,000,000

Shouldn't really matter. The ohm setting just shows the reading of resistance below the interval you set it as. For instance, if its set at 200 ohms, it will have a reading for resistance less than 200 ohms. Anything higher it will be 1. Just increase the resistance interval higher until you have a proper reading.