Sign in to follow this  
Element Unknown

Gaming Headsets - Whatcha got? (and semi TB XP500 review)

I have finally seen the light and spent the beans on a pair of Turtle Beach XP500's,

XP500_beauty04.jpg

totally changed the experience for me having only used regular Sennheiser stereo headsets and tv/hifi speakers.

Soundwhoreing like a boss all up in this shiz with Dolby 7.1 surround!

Answering phone calls from the missus like a champ without interrupting on-line game play!

Digital sound filtering, enhance footsteps and filter out other unwanted noise.

The sound quality isn't bad at all, have listened to misc and watched a couple of films as well on these , nothing to complain about.

Maybe could have a bit more midrange and bottom end balanced out, however I haven't fiddled around with the programmable pre-sets yet so I cant say if that can be boosted/trimmed or not.

Oh, you using these or something similar? please tell me how you like hearing people creeping up on you...

Meh to turtle beach....Astro Gaming headset is all the go. Apparently Ebgames are now authorized dealers as well.

I have the A40's but the new A50's are pretty cool:

1218-astro-a50.jpg

Edited by Hawker180

Ive got the TB PX3 and I've found them awesome! wireless gaming, and works on both the PS3 and PC and does 360 as well

0731855022403-crop-325x325.jpg

Ive got the TB PX3 and I've found them awesome! wireless gaming, and works on both the PS3 and PC and does 360 as well

0731855022403-crop-325x325.jpg

what a slut of a headset!

I have the wireless Astro A40s. great headphones for any use - bought an adapter cable and use them with my phone all the time.

really like the adjustable voice/game audio mix that allows me to change the balance easily too. its not totally 'wireless' but im not really concerned as the wires are long and i am not enough of a rager that i would run out of cord.

Recently ordered the new Razer Tiamat 7.1 surround sound. Been out of stock in vic for a while now.

razer_tiamat%20%282%29.jpg

Its got 10 discrete drivers and requires a 7.1 channel sound card.

Got this for the PS3

socomheadset.jpg

Works ok, nothing special. Would definitely prefer something that covered both ears. Only used it when I played with mates on Borderlands, DiRT 2, GT5.

Probably getting this for the PC soon when Starbound comes out. Few of my mates have got the same model and recommend it.

Logitech G330

17324.png

I have the logitech G930, pretty happy with them. The wireless range is good as well, better than i was expecting. Can wander out into the kitchen and get a drink or whatever and still be able to talk to people online

gaming-headset-g930.png

I bought the Astro A40 back in February. It's a good headset. Super comfy. My team (3 of us) used them for the 24 hour online GT5 race and they never once got uncomfortable.

The mic is nice and clear. I love the ability to adjust the game:voice ratio.

The audio quality sounds alright when you're playing games, but when you stick music into them, you see they are quite poor. There is the option of buying better quality headphones such as the Sennheiser PC 650's and using them with the Astro mixamp, which would probably make the sound quality a lot better.

Having said that, I use them for BF3 and GT5 and they do fine. Well worth however much I spent on them.

Edited by Dan.

Here's a very good read on the whole virtual surround VS true surround.

More drivers doesn't always mean better sound.

http://www.gamingzap...hich-is-better/

Just to note.. The only difference I hear when I turn off virtual surround on my A40's is a narrower sound stage. When a jet or heli is flying over me, I can't tell if it's going North-South or South-North. I think the whole virtual surround label is a bit of a gimmick. Yes it widens the sound stage, but I wouldn't say it replaces a typical surround sound speaker system.

Edited by Dan.

I honestly dont notice the surround sound that much unless I have the rear speakers right next to my ears. the only real difference the headphones make is that you can hear people creeping up on you in amongst the audio onslaught that is BF3.

Yeah i have noticed the same, more noticeably distinct footstep noise in a more directional sense for me, not necessarily pin point but accurate enough to react.

Haven't cracked out the custom levels yet, might do that later this week, let you all know i it make a huge difference.

Edited by HumanHefner

I have some cheap steelseries...nothing special but lets me abuse people on bf3 / dayz haha

Plantronics Gamecom777, gets the job done:

gamecom777.jpg