Sign in to follow this  
Infidel

DIY Headlight Restoration

Did a DIY Head light restoration the other day. I tried to put this in the bodywork DIY section. It wouldnt let so hopefully a Mod can move this,I take no responsibility if you decide to copy me.

BEFORE -

The ugly yellow tinge.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

AFTER

20120730_111925.jpg

1. Bought this at Repco. $40. Pretty expensive but it came with enough stuff to do a couple cars. Only things its missing is maybe a disposable rag. Ill explain its use further on.

3-2.jpg

2. Use the paper and tape provided to mask up the surroundings of the headlights. Dont skimp on this, in retrospect my prep work could of been better. It be good it you got that extra wide masking tape. Outline the whole thing with it.

4-2.jpg

3. Once the tape is all done, sand it down with the sanding block. This is to remove the top layer of crap. Its not too rough, just enough.

5-1.jpg

4. It should look like this. You are probably thinking WTF. It looks even worse. You can see the top layer turning into yellow dust.

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

5. Oh dear god what have I done ...

8-1.jpg

6. Use some 600 grit sand paper. To smooth it all out. I wet mine so it didnt gum up. When you think you are done, get a wet rag and wipe it all over. Once it dries run your palm over it. It should be smooth. If its rough, or some parts look untouched, do it again.

9-1.jpg

7. Should look kinda like this now, after your done with application of the 600 grit. Wipe over it with a wet rag, paper towel thing and that sticky cloth thing. Make sure there are is no contaminants on the surface.

10-1.jpg

8. Now apply a layer of the Repco UV sealant. Shake it up for about 1 min. On the box its says 2-3 mins. Then spray a puff into the air, to make sure its good to go, I stuffed mine up a bit cause I didnt do this. Apply a 'dry' layer. Which is pretty much a thin layer. Dont let it get runny. Spray from one side to the other not back and forwards. Best technique IMO.

11-1.jpg

9. Wait 3 mins. Put your phone on stopwatch and do it again. Decent layer this time. But dont go over the top. Less is still better.

12-1.jpg

10. After the second application wait 5 mins should look like this now.

13-1.jpg

I did one more layer just to because I could.

The lights look real good now.The sealant should come on with kind of like a wrinkle paint texture.

You may still see blemishes on the headlight. Thats on the inside.

Took me about an hour to do maybe? Soon as I woke up drove to repco bought it, had some breakfast, then did this.

Also got some mother's wash and wax and a repco chamois. There's a sale on.

i did this not long ago, it ends up looking heaps better, but you need to stay ontop of it and give it a plastic wax thing every couple of months since you have sanded off the top layer of protective shit..

Nice write up bro :)

Thanks man. Yea it does. I thought about preserving the protective layer. But then I realised that the top protective layer has met its end.

Whole thing doesnt take long to do anyways

Cheers.

Nice one :)

Also moved as requested.

You could just go at it with 600 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, use cut and polish then cover with clear coat. Cost you a couple of bucks too, rather than $40-80.

Nice one smile.png

Also moved as requested.

Thanks a lot. More to come!

You could just go at it with 600 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, use cut and polish then cover with clear coat. Cost you a couple of bucks too, rather than $40-80.

The kit only cost me about $40 max. All those items you mentioned would equate to about $40 if you went and bought it as well wouldnt it?

I don't think so. $1.50 per sand paper sheet, $10 for cut and polish of any brand, can of good clear coat $5-10. So maybe $20-25. It was just an alternative that people might already have the items to do it without buying a "kit". And I've seen some kits a lot more pricey than $40.

$40 is cheap for the kit, it used to be more expensive until it came otu in the repco packaging which brought the price down.

Sign in to follow this