Sign in to follow this  
neil_se

Hardtuned Norwell Track Day #2 QLD - ONLY 9 SPOTS LEFT

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you coming or what?

• Yes, I'm the man of the house
    • No, Mummy said I can't come and play

Great day, the track is very challenging with double apex's, low speed and high speed corners. If there was to be any feedback I'd say some better grouping and another lap or two (per session) to try and get some consistency. Some things to add maybe to the entry list would be: running semi slicks, lap times at QR/Lakeside?

I got out in Pats 15 nearer the end of the day, and I did notice that the current setup did feel a little short. Only reason being is the fact that alot of beginners are bringing their near standard cars out (ie brakes, road tyres etc), and this is a very punishing course in that regard. The last thing we want is someone coming into that wall at turn 6!

That said, it is something we will be looking into next event. I didn't have a hand in the grouping like I did last time, but I'll see if we can adjust the entry form and get something sorted!

Any other points anyone thinks we can build on, let us know!~ We want to make the best event for YOU.

was a great day out again, i defo want my car on the road faster now. Hopefully when i get back from japan i'll be able to just throw dollars at it!

Sounds like a awesome day was had by all. Pity I haven't got my gearbox sorted yet, I really wanted to come out to this one. Good news for me is I've dropped my gearbox off to a place today to get it rebuilt :)

I had another great day there, it's a fun track. My 2c is more sprint sessions and less cruising time ;)

I had another great day there, it's a fun track. My 2c is more sprint sessions and less cruising time ;)

Couldn't agree more! The boss man wanted more cruises, and I had to do what he said. Will make sure this is not the case next time!

It was fun to take passengers but we were out there for heaps of laps and you're pretty much stuck with the 4 or so cars around you, so you just end up dragging the same guys over and over.

Great fun as always :) had a ball!! feathered tyres ended my day before the reverse session.. kinda wanted to drive home :lol: really should have had it wheel aligned before the day..

keen too see the times!

My only comment even though it didn't effect me this time due to my fuel

Issue is an extra hot lap in the session which will only add another 1-2 mins per session

^^ problem with an extra hot lap is peoples brakes are well on their way out by that stage...

could definitely do it, but it's potentially more dangerous.

I had another great day there, it's a fun track. My 2c is more sprint sessions and less cruising time wink.png

Couldn't agree more! The boss man wanted more cruises, and I had to do what he said. Will make sure this is not the case next time!

Has a few people screaming out for more cruise sessions so they could take people...

that said - at the last hour of the day, no one was doing sprints really - people could have easily gone out for 4 sprints in a row if they wanted!

How did people find 5 cars on the track during sprints?

Am thinking about raising that to 6 cars in each group for the next one with less groups so we get through sessions quicker & can fit more sprints in the time ?

top effort loz and everyone that made it possible. 5 cars was bearable. With the number of cars dropping out after the first/second run, 6 would be fine.

suggesting - get rid of "spacing" of the cars, artificial spacing means cars end up out of order and peoples laps get spoiled. just let us all out at once and everyone surely has enough common sense sort their own gap/order on the outlap.

Theres plenty of time while lining up to communicate with the other cars around you. Plus if a car manages to get near you, chances are theyre faster, so wave them through (BEFORE getting to the start/finish curve, so you dont spoil both of your next laps) - follow and try and copy what theyre doing.

Be cool if groups were sorted into lap speed rather than horsepower as Mase said.

But awesome fun day once again overall

I also think 6 per group would be fine. There's plenty of space to spread out especially if the groups are matched with people at a similar level. I do think this should be decided using previous lap times (QR and LS included) and experience; rather than HP.

1 or 2 more hot laps would also be good I feel. 3 seems a bit short to be honest. (As Mase said above)

Would like to see the final results if you could post up times?

Having attended both days and enjoyed them, I'll definitely be in for the next one :)

Edited by Ash147

that said - at the last hour of the day, no one was doing sprints really - people could have easily gone out for 4 sprints in a row if they wanted!

Because nobody was timing. Competition is a big driving force for me and I'm sure many others. So if we can't get into a group with cars at similar pace, and we can't compare our times against the clock then it's not as enticing. If we have more laps per session and better grouping, you'd drag the day out further and would make a great day even better.

Ash did you have the plates boss or something like that on the white civic? Full cage, rear wing etc. If so you did a 1.03 from what I saw. 2nd fastest on the day behind Callum.

Edited by Mase

Completely agree with what you said^, would definitely make for an even better day!

haha yeah that's me. Oh cool! Im Absolutely stoked with that time :) I'd also like to see how everybody else did on the day, were lots of amazing cars out!

+1 awesome job ash, flying mate :]

Also the argument re. brakes ... if theyre starting to fade, its pretty obvious! anyone who continues to drive at 10/10ths when their brakes are getting spongy is a bit of an idiot...

so maybe even a 5 lap stint could work, those with fading brakes can roll around and have a cool off lap (keeping an eye on their mirrors!) then one final hotlap before coming in.

Cracked rotors are a bit of a myth unless youre getting them REALLY hot which is pretty much impossible on street tyres unless youre riding them everywhere, even then, one cooldown lap would allow them to cool no worries

Edited by scooby36

Completely agree with what you said^, would definitely make for an even better day! haha yeah that's me. Oh cool! Im Absolutely stoked with that time :) I'd also like to see how everybody else did on the day, were lots of amazing cars out!

Good driving mate. You're always 1 second ahead of me!!! I think the S2000 and the supercharged civic did a 1.05 maybe but i'm not 100% on that.

another awesome day!! Cheers to everyone involved.

better grouping would be great. some people just dont get the f#%k out of the way when you've caught them quickly and are sitting on their bumper for a whole lap cos they've got a little more hp on the straights.

+1 for 1 or 2 more hot laps each session.

Loz,

the way a sprint should be run is like this,

Practice session, every body gets timed, the groups are done by their time, the cars are then let out with the same spacing, fastest car out first... 6 - 7 cars could be out in the same group, each car would never catch the one in front and vice versa...

its a little harder as the groups are changed after each session, so that faster cars move forward, it makes the guys who want to go fast go fast... and the slower ones go slower.. also is safer and has a bit of fun as you would see the fast guys and see whos slower...

its how the Sprints are run at the MSCA at Mallala and in most other states i have been to...

so there would be a list that shows what group your in after each session.

id be happy to write a spreadsheet that could do this for you... would require a few people dedicated to timing... or maybe some timing gear for the cars... wouldnt be too hard to organise...

i was happy to do a 1.12 with 80 rwkw WOOOOT

M

super fun day again, definitely agree on trying to get an extra hot lap in the sprint sessions as it all seemed to be over just as things were starting to link together nicely and as mentioned previously surely you are going to feel brakes overheating and know to back it off and get off the racing line if fade is becoming an issue

Norwell, Is not a high braking circuit, even looking at Callums on board he was maxing at 150 - 160 on the main straight, the curves after that are small dabs to settle car more than to really slow the car down, and the next big brake is into the hairpin going back ontot the main straight... i run red stuff and green stuff and they would have been untaxed over the day

simple solution to brake fade is to use the brakes less... :D

M

Norwell, Is not a high braking circuit, even looking at Callums on board he was maxing at 150 - 160 on the main straight, the curves after that are small dabs to settle car more than to really slow the car down, and the next big brake is into the hairpin going back ontot the main straight... i run red stuff and green stuff and they would have been untaxed over the day

M

you've got an mx5 with 80kw. try being in a faster car with better tyres, I know how hard those other guys jump on the anchors to get the low minute times.

Completely agree with what you said^, would definitely make for an even better day! haha yeah that's me. Oh cool! Im Absolutely stoked with that time smile.png I'd also like to see how everybody else did on the day, were lots of amazing cars out!

Good driving mate. You're always 1 second ahead of me!!! I think the S2000 and the supercharged civic did a 1.05 maybe but i'm not 100% on that.

Cheers man! You looked so smooth out there Callum, no way i could catch you haha.

Thanks Mase! Which Silvia were you in?

Heres's a quick bit of in-car footage from one of the sessions

Yeah i agree with what was said above, there is a lot of on/off the brakes through the tighter sections along with a couple of spots where hard braking is needed from around 170kmh.

As said above, if you do feel brakes overheating on the 4th or 5th hot lap it only takes some common sense to take a cooler lap and not drive at 110%.

I was in the orange sil80. Lapped a 1.04. Nice vid, very smooth driving!

Still makes me chuckle when you left the seat as we were braking into the hairpin Scotty. The new car has dual harnesses.

I do agree though, my wheels came back cleaner than any other track day I'd been to. The front tyres were smashed though.

Edited by Mase

The day was awesome !!!! I wouldnt change a thing .... The day is about considering everyone cruisers draggers sprinters and drift ....and keeping it fun.

For those wanting more sprints where were you at 3:30 onwards the track was a ghost town unlimited laps all to yourself untill 5 if you wanted as loz said....

Im sure loz will consider the thoughts put forward and make a judgement that keeps it safe and exciting for all those that attend .... I had an absolute ball ... Wouldnt change a thing... Its like a playground out there! Love it!

you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i finished the last sprint session (well so i thought) and was told that was it for the day. was sooooo keen to put some more laps in. wish i'd known we could have gone back out.

Haha yeh the track was a ghost town from about 4 on wards. Maybe saw 2-3 cars max. I was too busy having fun on the skid pan but will be bringing slicks to the next meet for sure. Trying to put down 450 through 205's just wasn't working haha

M

you've got an mx5 with 80kw. try being in a faster car with better tyres, I know how hard those other guys jump on the anchors to get the low minute times.

yep... i was doing 1.12's in a car with 80rwkw... that means i was braking later and harder than every body else who could go faster in the straights.. fast isnt just in a straight line...

M

M

yep... i was doing 1.12's in a car with 80rwkw... that means i was braking later and harder than every body else who could go faster in the straights.. fast isnt just in a straight line...

M

is there a polite way to say "pull your head out of your ass?"

No comment on everyone's excuses and opinions but just annoyed I have missed out on both of these so far.