Sign in to follow this  
Black Widow

best number of reps/sets when bulking

It seems you misinterpreted what i said.

Bulking from 78-92kg i took in 8000 calories per day.

Not what i eat every day.

Hey,

So I'm finally getting my shit together and taking this seriously. I've got my eating plan all worked out, all I need to do is hit the gym.

My question is, is there a number of sets/reps that I should be aiming for to ensure the best possible results?

I've always heard that around the 8 reps/3 sets, but recently, i've had a friend, not that it matters, but has competed at an amatuer level of Body building, say I should only be aiming for the 5-6 reps? Obviously this is with heavy weight (whilst still maintaining form)

Should i be aiming somewhere in between? Higher? Lower?

Feedback would be appreciated

Depends what sort of weight your lifting and how much you tax your CNS..

I've lately taken an interest in more-bodybuilding orientated training.

In summary, if you're eating big, then train big. Lots of reps, lots of sets, lots of exercises - but not shit. Free weights.

Press from many angles - Barbell flat regular bench, close grip and reverse grip bench, barbell incline and overhead press. Dumbbell, standing military press and flat bench.

Rows - bent over single arm, bent over barbell rows, bent over trap bar rows.

Squats - back squats, leg extensions

Romanian deadlifts

Dumbbell curls, lateral raises from front side and rear delts

bodyweight stuff - pullups, chinups, dips - achieve 20+ reps before you need to add weight to yourself, 5kg increments when you can do 20+ reps

cardio - kettlebell swings, UDL's, complexes,

Ghosty,

Thanks mate. That's awesome.

I've currently got my workout set out as such:

Chest: (keeping in mind I would love to include reverse grip bench in there too)

Flat Bench (DB & BB)

Incline Bench

Decline Bench

DB Fly

Shoulders:

Seated Military Press

Side/Front Raises (DB)

Back:

Wide Grip Chin

Romanian Deads

Wide Grip lat pulldown

Close Grip Lat Pulldown (I know you said free weights but i always find this exercise a good one)

Bent Over Rows

Legs:

Leg extension

Leg Curl

Squats

Leg Press

Bi's:

Curls (DB and Bar)

Hammer Curl (DB)

Preacher Curl

Tri's:

Rope pushdown

Skull crushers

Dips

Any advice you want to give in terms of what I could change there would be great

Don;t know what your workout routine is but that's too many exercises, esp for a beginner me thinks..i..e three exercises for small muscles like biceps?

I reackon you can knock off 2 bicep exercies, decline becnchpress, skull crusher, leg extension, and one of wide grip chin or wide grip lat pulldown at least

Don;t know what your workout routine is but that's too many exercises, esp for a beginner me thinks..i..e three exercises for small muscles like biceps? I reackon you can knock off 2 bicep exercies, decline becnchpress, skull crusher, leg extension, and one of wide grip chin or wide grip lat pulldown at least

But wouldn't only having 1 bicep exercise only promote growth in certain parts of the arm? Wouldn't I be better off atleast including hammer curls and bicep curls?

Don;t know what your workout routine is but that's too many exercises, esp for a beginner me thinks..i..e three exercises for small muscles like biceps? I reackon you can knock off 2 bicep exercies, decline becnchpress, skull crusher, leg extension, and one of wide grip chin or wide grip lat pulldown at least

But wouldn't only having 1 bicep exercise only promote growth in certain parts of the arm? Wouldn't I be better off atleast including hammer curls and bicep curls?

u can...but u just started yeh? your going to get tired/weak after exercises..hence should be focusing on building strength and body weight

plus your back exercises workout your arms too

people generally bulk and then do isloation exercises when they get to an intermediate/advanced stage...

skuma is right. It's really important to keep it simple when you're first getting into it. Your focus at the moment is excellent form, coordination and technique.

Start with compound exercises and only some isolation exercises.

For the first couple of months do similar to this

Cardio of whichever you enjoy - 5 minutes moderate to high intensity.

Compound

- DB squats or leg press

- bench press or seated chest press

- seated row or supported seated row

Isolation

- single DB press

- single DB curl

Compound sets first, 1 warm up set of 15 reps, 2 work sets of 10 reps.

Then isolation sets of 2 x 10 reps.

u can...but u just started yeh? your going to get tired/weak after exercises..hence should be focusing on building strength and body weight plus your back exercises workout your arms too people generally bulk and then do isloation exercises when they get to an intermediate/advanced stage...
skuma is right. It's really important to keep it simple when you're first getting into it. Your focus at the moment is excellent form, coordination and technique. Start with compound exercises and only some isolation exercises. For the first couple of months do similar to this Cardio of whichever you enjoy - 5 minutes moderate to high intensity. Compound - DB squats or leg press - bench press or seated chest press - seated row or supported seated row Isolation - single DB press - single DB curl Compound sets first, 1 warm up set of 15 reps, 2 work sets of 10 reps. Then isolation sets of 2 x 10 reps.

Not "just started" as such. I've been going to the gym and doing different things for probably 2years, but have never really taken anything this seriously before.

My previous workout regime (before I intended to start this) was:

Bench press - 5x10

Squats - 3x10

Deadlifts - 3x10

Wide Grip Chins - 5 to failure

Dips - 5 to failure

But i found by the time i'd get to say my 3rd exercise, my arms were too fatigued to do anything else effectively, and i was just losing motivation. I don't know what it is, but I find that isolating muscle groups (i.e. chest day, leg day etc), keeps me far more energised and motivated

Well if that's what you enjoy, then totally stick to it man.

Compound exercises are simply to put the most amount of load, through the most amount of muscles, in the least amount of exercises.

BUT, if you don't enjoy something, don't do it.

Just consider doing less exercises that over-work individual muscles. For example if you do bench, chins, curls, deadlifts, dips and rows, you've worked your deltoids in every single exercise.

If you followed that up with any shoulder press - front/side raises - military press etc...your shoulders will be absolutely farked leaving you open to serious injury.

I'm not going to sit here like an arsehat and tell you what to do. I'm just throwing you some more understanding to help you work out what's best for you.

u can...but u just started yeh? your going to get tired/weak after exercises..hence should be focusing on building strength and body weight plus your back exercises workout your arms too people generally bulk and then do isloation exercises when they get to an intermediate/advanced stage...
skuma is right. It's really important to keep it simple when you're first getting into it. Your focus at the moment is excellent form, coordination and technique. Start with compound exercises and only some isolation exercises. For the first couple of months do similar to this Cardio of whichever you enjoy - 5 minutes moderate to high intensity. Compound - DB squats or leg press - bench press or seated chest press - seated row or supported seated row Isolation - single DB press - single DB curl Compound sets first, 1 warm up set of 15 reps, 2 work sets of 10 reps. Then isolation sets of 2 x 10 reps.

Not "just started" as such. I've been going to the gym and doing different things for probably 2years, but have never really taken anything this seriously before.

Bench press - 5x10

Squats - 3x10

Deadlifts - 3x10

Dips - 5 to failure

But i found by the time i'd get to say my 3rd exercise, my arms were too fatigued to do anything else effectively, and i was just losing motivation. I don't know what it is, but I find that isolating muscle groups (i.e. chest day, leg day etc), keeps me far more energised and motivated

Where did you get that program from?

3X10 deadlifts is a no-no, swap it for stiff leg deadlifts if you do it.

Let me put this to you;

Do both programs, 6 weeks each and compare the results.

I will put $100 down on the compound program bringing in better gains in strength, muscle mass and fat loss.

Well I mean I could remove the specific shoulder workouts since i'd be covering them in every other movement anyway.

But the way I was planning on working out was:

Day 1: Chest/Tri's

Chest:

Flat Bench (BB)

Incline Bench (BB)

DB Fly

Tri's:

Skull crushers (I find these work my tri's the most)

Dips

Day 2: Back/Bi's

Back:

Wide Grip Chin

Romanian Deads

Close Grip Lat Pulldown

Seated Rows

Bi's:

Curls (DB or Bar)

Hammer Curl (DB)

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Legs

Squats

Leg Press

Leg Curl

Calf Raises split with reverse arm curls as a superset

Day 5: Cardio

Edited by Black Widow

Bench press - 5x10

Squats - 3x10

Deadlifts - 3x10

Dips - 5 to failure

Where did you get that program from?

3X10 deadlifts is a no-no, swap it for stiff leg deadlifts if you do it.

Let me put this to you;

Do both programs, 6 weeks each and compare the results.

I will put $100 down on the compound program bringing in better gains in strength, muscle mass and fat loss.

Someone off here. Can't remember who... [EDIT] It was El Freako that provided me the program, HOWEVER, I clearly didn't pay enough attention to what he had written. It should be Deadlifts: 3x5

So you're backing that this would be more effective?:

Cardio of whichever you enjoy - 5 minutes moderate to high intensity. Compound - DB squats or leg press - bench press or seated chest press - seated row or supported seated row Isolation - single DB press - single DB curl Compound sets first, 1 warm up set of 15 reps, 2 work sets of 10 reps. Then isolation sets of 2 x 10 reps.

- single DB curl

Edited by Black Widow

No.

Squat (1X20, 1X10) pull (3X8) press(5X6) chin dip (5 sets to fail for both).

3 days a week.

Tried and true method.

Just try things, stop looking for the perfect program.

The worst program with 100% effort is still better than the best program with 50% effort!

Ghosty,

Thanks mate. That's awesome.

I've currently got my workout set out as such:

Chest: (keeping in mind I would love to include reverse grip bench in there too)

Flat Bench (DB & BB)

Incline Bench

Decline Bench

DB Fly

Shoulders:

Seated Military Press

Side/Front Raises (DB)

Back:

Wide Grip Chin

Romanian Deads

Wide Grip lat pulldown

Close Grip Lat Pulldown (I know you said free weights but i always find this exercise a good one)

Bent Over Rows

Legs:

Leg extension

Leg Curl

Squats

Leg Press

Bi's:

Curls (DB and Bar)

Hammer Curl (DB)

Preacher Curl

Tri's:

Rope pushdown

Skull crushers

Dips

Any advice you want to give in terms of what I could change there would be great

Stick to it.

There is alot of conflicting advice in here. (ie. no don't do that, you won't need it. Do this, it's better)

And alot that conflicts with my personal results.

Your program isn't bad. Because you are working out your back and bis on ONE DAY in the week.. sacrificing a bicep excercise isn't going to give you any more gains, but it's not going to hurt either.

superset the hammer curls straight after your normal bicep curls. Preacher curls maybe only after EVERYTHING (including back) if you still want to, but there's not really that much point.

Chinups take care of biceps aswell.

Edited by Shark

I don't know if it helps, but I always start my workout with compound exercises (which will be the heaviest weight for the workout). Then I'll hit the muscles from different angles with isolated exercises.

by "Pull" you mean deads?

No, i rarely tell a novice to deadlift.

Stuff leg deadlifts

BB Rows

DB Rows

High pulls

Cleans

Rack pulls

Shrugs

etc. etc.