Sign in to follow this  
Black Widow

best number of reps/sets when bulking

Hey,

So I'm finally getting my shit together and taking this seriously. I've got my eating plan all worked out, all I need to do is hit the gym.

My question is, is there a number of sets/reps that I should be aiming for to ensure the best possible results?

I've always heard that around the 8 reps/3 sets, but recently, i've had a friend, not that it matters, but has competed at an amatuer level of Body building, say I should only be aiming for the 5-6 reps? Obviously this is with heavy weight (whilst still maintaining form)

Should i be aiming somewhere in between? Higher? Lower?

Feedback would be appreciated

The general concensus is that 8-12 reps give you bulk. But since your friend has mentioned that 5-6 reps for bulking. This i also agree with, however, it is more training for strength i.e. lifting heavier.

They both bulk. It's all dependent on what you want to achieve in terms of asthetics.

Sets don't really matter--> some body builders such as Dorian Yates will suggest to change exercises everytime you go to the gym, while others will recommend that you change your exercises every 8-12 weeks.

Also under the impression + stuck to the 5-8 rep rule.

Eg. Say you do 4 sets per exercise, you should be trying to lift heavy after you'v warmed up and really trying to get 8 reps in your first couple sets.

If you start to fall down to 5-6 in your last set or maybe 2nd last set that's fine, If your training with a partner they can help you push out to 8 anyway to complete that exercise.

If your smashing more than 8 easily you need to go up in weight. If your struggling to get 5 by your 2nd set for the exercise you need to go down in weight.

Lift heavy and 5-8 reps/4 sets and 4 exercises unless it's a smaller muscle group is generally how iv trained.

Promotes size.

More reps promotes lean muscle growth.

May come across a bit slapped together but shouldn't be too hard to understand.

brent understood perfectly mate.

I'm a fairly skinny dude (5'10", 72kg-ish - basically skinny with a small belly).

I'm moreso aiming to just increase general size/muscle mass at the moment. Any additions for me would be a great result lol. Next year I'd like to attempt to compete in my first bodybuilding comp, but we'll see what happens

Mate, eating is and will be your most

Important aspect. Train hard. Eat a f**k load. Sleep 10-12 hrs and you will maximize your efforts in gym.

What are your macros?

I think heavy/compound exerices are best for skinny people..i started off with a simililar dilemma and just expertimented between programs and rep counts until I found out what works me I like beteen 3-5 reps heavy lifting for strengh and then do a support exercise for the same muscle group with 2-3 reps of 8-10...hence i do no more than 2 (sometimes 3) exercises per muscle group during my workout...

whatever works and each to their own

Edited by skuma

I really don't know.

My meal plan is all pre-determined, as I am ordering pre-prepared meals through Muscle Meals Direct (Ordering through Mass Nutrition Seven Hills) - and for now it's purely a convenience factor (cant' find a pic of the meal plan at the moment, but it's definitely well set up. They have a 2000, 2500, and 3000 cal option (think i'd go 2000 since i'm smaller), and it's 6 days worth of food, 4 meals a day (they don't include breakfast).

They have macros online for body building and the amount of calories you need.

I think it's it's pounds x 18.

So if

You 72 kg what's that about 160 pounds x 18. Is the amount of calories you need.

Again this is roughly. You should really way more or less dependent on how your body feels.

Oh i worked that out based off kgs before. Whoops. No wonder it was so low.

Ok so 3000cal definitely.

Bw in pounds times 20 = number of calories.

Adjust up or down as needed as it is not a universal formula.

And there is no magic building rep range. I did no more than 4-5 reps and gained 14 kgs in 10 weeks.

Just lift eat sleep.

Bw in pounds times 20 = number of calories. Adjust up or down as needed as it is not a universal formula. And there is no magic building rep range. I did no more than 4-5 reps and gained 14 kgs in 10 weeks. Just lift eat sleep.

Ok so the 3000 cal SHOULD do me...although maybe I should just go 3500 to be safe...

Lol 14kg in 10 weeks. That's coz ur skinny and probably just started.

If I gain 4 kg in a year that's like amazing for me.

Lol 14kg in 10 weeks. That's coz ur skinny and probably just started.

If I gain 4 kg in a year that's like amazing for me.

78-92kg.

Start at 3000.

Yeh on gear.

You can't tell me you gained from 78-92kg in 10 weeks naturally. I know dudes that train for years and don't get that growth naturally.

I'm 20 yrs old now and I've been weight training since I was 13/14 and I'm only 88.

Mate if your telling me you gained 78-92 in 10 weeks naturally, ur talking crap.

Yeh on gear. You can't tell me you gained from 78-92kg in 10 weeks naturally. I know dudes that train for years and don't get that growth naturally. I'm 20 yrs old now and I've been weight training since I was 13/14 and I'm only 88. Mate if your telling me you gained 78-92 in 10 weeks naturally, ur talking crap.

Because clearly you're just the epitome of lifting/bodybuilding right?

No offence dude, but Dr Cranium is a respected member on here, pretty sure he's not gonna talk sh*t just to try and look good...

A respected member is not a credential in itself is it? Does that mean every respected member doesn't talk crap?

I'm just taking the logical conclusions. I've prepared for comps and have helped mates prep for comps. Therefore, I also know how hard it is to gain and I'm just taking the logical conclusion.

Not at all, i'm sure there alot of people on here, who've been members for years and talk crap. But my point is, the perception of you (without reading your joined date), is that you're a noob, and noobs have a tendancy to talk ALOT of crap and start sh*t. In saying that, I have now read you've been on the site almost 2 years.

You have no backing to say that he hasn't gained 14kgs naturally through hardwork. There's nothing to say it's impossible.

Phil Heath (Mr. Olypia 2011) does 4 sets X 12reps.

There are so many different ways of training. Different things work better for different people. There is no golden rule. But the general consensus is 3sets X 8-12 reps, which has already been mentioned.

14kgs sure. But not 14kgs of lean muscle mass in 10weeks. Never heard of such a thing.

And by using that formula of BW(pounds)x20, I would be losing weight with my metabolism lol.

I need to eat at least double that to put on weight. So as Cranium said.. it's not a universal formula.

Edited by Shark

Hmm..my metabolism is fairly fast too..and if i go off that, I should be eating 3100cal...

I think his talking bout 14kgs..as in 14kgs body weight..its not 14kgs of muscle lol

Impressive amount of food then. lol..

Edited by Shark

Blackwidow. I know I've joined

For 2 years but I've

Never used this for posting. I only read the crap that people post, and I know exactly what u mean.

But regardless 14kg from 78-92 of even just fat is quite hard to gain.

So logically he is talking crap if he is even indicating it's muscular growth.

As I've said mate, I've been training for quite along time. I know how hard it is. And when people are full of shut, it fks me off.

Black widow. Call me a noob in respect to Bodybuilding is quite offensive particularly for people who's order meals and doesnt know how to bulk properly.

I've been in this game

Quite some

Time mate and I know how hard it is to gain. It is quite easy for pricks to talk big online without justification. I mean 78-92 kg of fat is hard enough to gain in. A period of 10 weeks let alone and indication of muscular growth.

Now I regret helping and giving you information.

14kg of wieght is a shit load of to gain in 2.5 months , that's not to say it isnt possible ..

Black Widow I think if your just starting out and are ecto you should stick to 5x5 rep range - compound movements , don't spend all day in the gym , 1 - 1.5 hours max , and eat !

If your not about to spew , you should be eating :thumbsup:

On australia day 2011 iweighed 78kg (official weigh infor a comp). 75 days later I weighed 92kg.

I could not care less if you believe me or not. It was not 14kg of muscle.

Talk shit to me when you can eat 8000+ calories a day every day, it was not easy!

And for the record I only went from a 32-34 waist, can't have been too much fat ;).

27.5 inch quads made it hard to find pants!

Edited by Dr. Cranium

Holy f**k.

The Doc knows how to eat!

Were you cutting weight or anything before the comp to read a lower number than you naturally were? Even though Rasian's grammar is horrible, he has a few good points.

A lot of studies suggest that the maximum muscle mass someone can gain per week is a little under half a KG (or a pound). So theoretically the maximum muscle mass you could have gained in 10 weeks is around 4.5 KG, which is still pretty crazy.

4.5 KG is pretty impressive. But any more than that, and the math just doesn't add up.

Were you cutting weight or anything before the comp to read a lower number than you naturally were? Even though Rasian's grammar is horrible, he has a few good points.

A lot of studies suggest that the maximum muscle mass someone can gain per week is a little under half a KG (or a pound). So theoretically the maximum muscle mass you could have gained in 10 weeks is around 4.5 KG, which is still pretty crazy.

4.5 KG is pretty impressive. But any more than that, and the math just doesn't add up.

Woke up in the morning and jumped on the scales.

The science also says i couldn't have squatted pulled and pressed 5 days a week without injury, if i didn't get injured then i should have gone backwards in strength and muscle mass.

I did it as a social experiment, and hot damn did it prove every hypothesis that i put down!

Yeh sozfor the shot grammar I'm on my iPhone and it spellchecks everything for me. I'm usually very good lol, I do law I swear hahahaha

And 8000 calories -.- at ur weight. Ur not making ur story straight mate.

My mate is a body builder at 116kg and he takes less than that when he bulks. He's at 6-7k

Jay colter is 140kg off season and his calorie count is just pushing 10000.

Assumig you are 78- 92kg I wouldn't think ur calorie count is 8000 lol

Yeh sozfor the shot grammar I'm on my iPhone and it spellchecks everything for me. I'm usually very good lol, I do law I swear hahahaha

And 8000 calories -.- at ur weight. Ur not making ur story straight mate.

My mate is a body builder at 116kg and he takes less than that when he bulks. He's at 6-7k

Jay colter is 140kg off season and his calorie count is just pushing 10000.

Assumig you are 78- 92kg I wouldn't think ur calorie count is 8000 lol

I forgot you're 20, and know everything.

My bad.