Sign in to follow this  
55psi

Breathing when weight training

Hey people,

When people do pretty heavy weights, and you hear them grunt, or some other noise, you'd probably find it pretty annoying. Ive thought about it for a quite a while, grunting or restricting your breathing out ("ssss" noises or blowing) during the positive part of the rep can help with form.

I have seen usually that people don't breathe out at all during the positive part of a heavy rep, making their head look like a tomato, and can cause some vessels to blow (has happened to me) and can even cause people to faint after the rep. It does make it easy to lift when u hold ur breathe, ur able to hold your core in a lot better, making ur body more rigid (im sure theres a more technical way of explaining it).

If you try and use ur lungs only to control your breathing, then it becomes hard to fully exert ur body for the positive part of the rep.

For me personally, i do do a combination of "ssss" noises or blowing noises to restrict airflow out the mouth to regulate the size of my lungs during the rep, i find it really does help keep control of ur form. And I guess instead of using ur mouth to restrict airflow, u see most people using their throat hence the grunting or the hnnnnnnnng! lol.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you do this?

Look at martial art "katas". Same idea, breathe in when drawing in/chambering, breathe out when striking/releasing.

Look at martial art "katas". Same idea, breathe in when drawing in/chambering, breathe out when striking/releasing.

Im talking about methods of controlling breathing. Im sure most ppl already know to breathe in on the negative and breathe out on the positive part of a rep...

I think a lot of people forget to breath when doing reps. What you're describing is ideal if you can coordinate it.

The thing is, this is weight lifting, not martial arts.

You don't want to breathe and move at the same time.

Draw the biggest amount of air in possible, lock tight, punch out a rep (or 5) on a single breath.

Once you need air, lock out a rep, refill and go again.

I disagree, the application of breath control may differ between martial arts and weight lifting, however the principal of core control and power output is still the same. If it wasn't for the chi gung classes I did when I used to practice kung fu many years ago I think the learning curve for me would have made for a longer transition into weight training.

I disagree, the application of breath control may differ between martial arts and weight lifting, however the principal of core control and power output is still the same. If it wasn't for the chi gung classes I did when I used to practice kung fu many years ago I think the learning curve for me would have made for a longer transition into weight training.

Huh? I don't even know if youre dissagreeing with me?

Where did I say core control and power output is not important?

I did however say, don't breathe and move if you're shifting decent weight.

Try putting 2X+ BW on your back and remember to breathe, not going to happen!

Huh? I don't even know if youre dissagreeing with me?

Where did I say core control and power output is not important?

I did however say, don't breathe and move if you're shifting decent weight.

Sorry for the misunderstanding mate (quickly sent from phone on train) , just stating that its not really any different to MA, just a variation of application.

I squat closer to 3x bodyweight.

Remembering to breathe isn't an issue as I don't breathe.

Valsava technique. It should be applied to all heavy lifting.

I squat closer to 3x bodyweight.

Remembering to breathe isn't an issue as I don't breathe.

Valsava technique. It should be applied to all heavy lifting.

wasn't talking to you specifically ;)