Sign in to follow this  
Ant Stefano

S15 Silvia Vs Chaser

Hey ladies & gents just wanting to get some opinions! I've been looking to buy a S15 Silvia for over 6 months now & just haven't come across one that I've thought was a great opportunity. Recently while searching for a Silvia I came across a Toyota Chaser mark II manual with 150xxx on the clock, for 15ono. Basically would like to hear from some owners of each, & really anyone who can put some helpful input into this, giving me some pro's cons etc. Thing would include: which car is better for Modding, power, handling, fuel consumption, strength, wheel offsets, getting parts for, resale value, & Insurance and Rego costs. Looks wise I'm personally more a fan of the Silvia, I think the interior looks a lot 'newer' and just a good looking car, the sr20det is a good motor, not a power house but it gets by, the 6 speed box from what I've heard is shit house.. fuel wise I'm assuming it would be much of a much? Anyway thanks to anyone for the input!

Lots of variables. Fuel consumption depends on how heavy your foot is and mods/tune you have

Sr20det can pull 300 safely with stock internals so it can pack a punch.

Personally I'd go the fifteen as the interior styling is what defines it for me cause they are both great cars having driven both on hundreds of occasions

Thanks for the reply fill! The Silvia's interior puts the Chaser's to shame! but I think the Chaser's running gear probably better. What did you find was a better drive?

S15 parts availability is much better, cheaper on fuel. Handling goes to the JZX, as well as power. Also, as for the SR not being a power house, you'd be surprised at what you can do with 180kw.

^

But then the chaser loses in the weight department. And I'm pretty sure it would guzzle fuel compared with the s15, which is great on fuel.

The s15 6-speed really isn't bad. My car makes 240rwkw and I've made my 6-speed last, I even did a few skidpans, granted I only run low boost these days. It has nice ratios, just don't treat it like a slurry and avoid pinning it through 4th gear.

Chaser is rare so it would probably turn more heads if you're into that.

I was in the exact same boat as you when looking for my car

very different cars and will depend on what you're looking for in them.

tow doors vs four doors, 4 banger vs 6 cyl, manual chasers are quite rare so resale value I imagine would be quite fine, fuel consuption would be quite different as wells the SR20 is quite good in that area

all depends really, chasers dont have as much "chuckability" if that makes any sense, they do feel quite big and heavy but not overly like a stagea or aristo for example, its more of a nice balance.

I used to get around 500-550km from a tank (around 65lt) in mine, was putting out a bit over 200kw with a front mount full exhaust and a boost up (13psi) but the torque and daily drivability was amazing. It would come onto boost very low in the rev range (basically fely like you were driving something with double the engine capacity) but would run out of puff in the top end.

I have never owned an S15 so i cant really comment on them but if you did go the chaser route im sure you would not be dissapointed thats for sure

Thanks everyone for the input, been a huge help hopefully I'll get to view the Chaser after work & see what it's like! I'm assuming the Chaser would be cheaper on insurance & get less unwanted attention. Which is a plus for me, I'm in a bit of a 60-40% 60 being the Silvia, but I'm liking the Chaser more and more as I find out more info

as said above, s15 parts are easily available and much cheaper compared to chaser parts.

eg. stock chaser front bar+lip ~ $300-350

also petrol is a killer for me, looking about 12L/100 which is average for a chaser. lower if on highway driving

15k is about the going price for a manual.

Also was it a chaser or a Mark II? (can only be one of the other)

series 1 (96-98) or series 2 (99-01)? only cosmetic differences ie front bar, rear bar, taillights, grill, dash.

looking about 12L/100 which is average for a chaser

That's pretty good considering that's what I was getting in a V6 Commodore, so it's not that bad,

Really depends what you're after. My brother's got a S15 and I've got a JZX100 Chaser. We both have basic mods in terms of power.

The Silvia is obviously a lighter and tighter car, when driving it, you can clearly tell that's the car you're after if you do plenty of hill runs/track days, etc. That's not to say the Chaser can't handle all of that either. I track my Chaser regularly and keep up to plenty of S chassis and evos (in the end it is the driver capabilities).

When it comes to power, the Chaser is definitely the winner from low down to the top. I personally felt that the silvia died up top whereas my car keeps pulling. Around town, there wasn't much difference besides the Chaser being more comfortable.

Now fuel, everyone says the Chaser guzzles fuel. It all comes down to your driving style but I average about 9.6ltrs/100km with about 65% highway and 35% city/street. Pure highway I have achieved 8.6ltrs/100km and that was gunning it while overtaking etc.

Parts for modding is easily given to the silvia. More parts at cheaper prices compared to the Chaser. Wheel offsets, my brother and I change wheels up all the time, the guards and what wheels it can take is fairly similar. The S chassis does seem to have more issues with coilover clearances.

It all comes down to what you're after.

Thanks for that it's a 97 Chaser I guess then, but has series two tail lights amongst other things. I personally don't thing 12lt per 100 is to bad & closer to 10 is even better! If the Silvia was anything like that I'd also be happy with it to be honest. Yes I thought 15ono was a good price for all the car you get, just wasn't sure if I would like the car I've been looking for go! As far as what I've been told and read their both really good cars so I cant really go wrong it seems, just comes down to looks and what not mostly. I'm actually liking the 4 door practicality of the Chaser at the moment aswel as the somewhat sleeper look compared to a 2 door S15, I feel like I'd hardly be hassled in the Chaser being more of an uncommon 4 door. Also still really curious on Insurance rough prices for ether car!

insurance can be a bit of a killer, i was quoted (27yo) by just cars (who didnt have it listed apparently) that full comp would be around the $1500 mark...

Not sure what s15's are though

Cant go wrong with the 1JZ VVTi, they are very very tough and sound f**king awesome!

brrrr Edited by Ceffy

Just get a quote for both cars before you buy them as you will already have all the details from the ads and weigh up the insurance costs

Love my chaser! It's certainly more comfortable for a daily than a Silvia, and I've got Bc Br Coilovers.

Fuel consumption isnt too bad, I get 600k per 65L tank, although I've been told that's more than others get.

As others have said, it all comes down to personal preference!

Don't be mislead by thinking u won't get hassled in the Chaser. Plenty of these getting canaries.

Dont know what its like in Vic but in SA I've seen and been followed by heaps of Police had no hassles.

Car is low, loud and wheels that are way too wide lol

I've got an auto 100 with just a cat back.

It gets 8.9l/100kms highway driving, 10l/100 regular driving.

Parts are more expensive than a Nissan, but if you change it yourself it isn't that bad.

Been pulled over for legit reasons and never looked at twice.

I use it purely as a daily and I love it, I do around 10 hours driving in it per week and literally can't fault it.Mine is a Mark II so possibly flys under the radar more.Full comp through just cars (22 year old) is ~$600.

Edited by DISH-oh

Thanks for all the feedback ladies & gents! Sounds like a lot of people are really happy with their Chaser's, pretty keen to go see this one at the end of the week. Hoping all goes well & I like the car.