Sign in to follow this  
doriftosydney1

more tracks in sydney

Hi everybody,

I very quick background on me. I live in the Sydney area, I don’t drive a jdm car and I’m a noob to drifting.

I know the following may sound far fetch but the internet has helped countries overthrow governments and make 20 year olds billionaires, all I want is some more race tracks in Sydney and I think people power is the way to do it!

There is many a debate on the drifting scene/culture in Australia and its future, lack of growth, no money etc….

I believe that in Sydney especially, the key to growing this sport is track time and venues which we lack both. The more tracks and track time we have, the more people will see and the more people will do. I know individuals and clubs are working on fixing this and that’s great but what if we think outside the box and keep everyone in the loop there will be more chance in making something happen. Some very valid points have been brought up on the ‘keep drifting fun’ thread.

So this is my idea.

We identify areas where drifting can take place which is mainly large car parks and public venues. We approach the council and see what is involved in getting approval for a very basic ‘car show’ setup which eventually turns into small drift circuit.

Sydney Olympic park has huge baron car parks with no visible public neighbours.

We set up a night or day event (does not matter) day may be easier due to noise restrictions.

All we need is a vacant car park with temporary barriers and good organisation and we are away.

they do it all over the world, why cant we do it here.

This event would need to take place at least once a week, which would then create a known hangout, which would then create an identity, which would then create a culture etc etc etc.

I am not talking about creating a big sponsored pro event, i am talking about track time, keeping it fun and getting more people into it.

WSID has a weekly event for drag racing and that has only expanded the sport.

Now I know I just made it sound easy in a simple paragraph and I understand there would be a number of difficulties in creating such an event (insurance, on site ambulance etc) but I don’t believe it would be impossible and at the end of the day we have to start somewhere, so if this thread gets shut down in two posts or something actually amounts from it at least we tried. even if we at least get a weekly event at eastern creek that would be a starting point.

What I am asking for in this thread is some constructive criticism and valid point to actually making something like this happen or working on creating something similar, we can identify the hurdles and work on how we fix them. We can then use the resources we have together to make shit happen and get track time!

I know all the haters and emo children out there will now be licking their lips waiting to grill me but imagine if it worked…..

The main objective here is more track time and a familiar local place to build this sport, if we can create this I believe that it would definitely expand the sport.

So where do you think we should start……….

^ Raleigh gets a used a fair bit, was a track day there a few weeks ago.

Try the NSW police, they have a decent looking track for driver training in Goulburn.

^^^^^^ was happy to read this opening thread post. I do think you have made a good point with everything you have said and i reckon thats the way to go. I think the people that do have the power to make anything happen for drifting are going about it the wrong way. Its kinda leaning towards a business point of view insted of jsut for the love of the sport. Bla bla i can go on and on about all the negatives but i am all for this being a positive approach jsut to get something happening out there.

So i guess a few things we can imput into this thread is

* ideal Location or locations

* Who to contact and the most appealing way to approach them

I've spoken with Steve Norcott who takes care of the Parking Facilities at Sydney Olympic Park. I've been told that using the car parks for drifting is beyond permitted land use. It would take changes to legislation to get any car parks approved. (basically getting state government involved)

Lucas Heights is still an option and a development submission is currently being put together

A track is being built up near Newcastle I believe??

I have a lead that I'm pursuing currently and when I have any news worth sharing I will.

There is land / venue's everywhere but getting to use that land is another thing.

We are considered the scum of the earth..

Omg866, I agree with you buddy and I think lots of others do to.

Obviously small venues would still have to be profitable to be sustained, but we would all be there just to have a good time and if there were a set place that was there once a week it would definitely help the sport grow.

Comodrifter, I've read all of your posts and you seem to be the one making things happening and doing the ground work. What do you believe is the next step? Is it lack of money, lack of support or The relevant people simply not listening?

How hard would it be to challenge the law that we can't use car parks? I'm thinking it would be easier to get approval to use existing car parks as oppose to asking for government funding for other venues.

What if we included the local government in the 'initiative" and made it look like there idea, even make it profitable for them? We pay entry, they get a percentage of the profits?

I know it's different but v8 supercars get to close of the whole of olympic park once a year, all we want is an unused car park!

Keep the info going!

I know it sounds stupid that we can't even hire a carpark for skids when the V8 supercars can hire the whole town for a week!

running the V8's at the olympic park brings in huge revenue. Money in lots of people's pockets means you can do anything. Many people have already spoken with ministers & council groups.

Local minister for Menai says she's willing to help us but we haven't heard from her in awhile..

Asking for funding and land for a new facility is a lot harder because it's basically going to be a repeat of WSID but slightly easier if out of reach by the ARDC.

plus doesn't help that the government just gave 5 million to the ARDC..

Using existing venues is easier but if you want it to be regular you have to convince who ever owns the land that it's worth it, Council that it's SAFE!, Anyone that lives near by that they wont even know where there, That we're not making a spot for those on the anti social side that like to do burnouts in front of a crowded pit lane at Eastern Creek...

There are many spots to slide in Sydney. There's spots near the airport, heaps in port kembla, a TAFE up HnR's way, Holsworthy Military base (goodluck getting in there)

many more..

I'd be honestly happy if eastern Creek got off their high horse and didn't treat us like dirt, fixed their attitude, prices, and let us use the new track they built and changed the contracts with WSID & the go kart track because

that go kart track would be awesome for drifting & WSID return rd and the parking lot their was the most fun I've had drifting in NSW since Oran Park, lest we forget.

But ARDC seem to be untouchable...

WHats the go with trying to get a 99 year lease on crown land???

I've sent an enquiry to crown land.. but I think majority of Governments doesn't take an email seriously.. might have to find some pens n paper..

They still make those...???

I know it sounds stupid that we can't even hire a carpark for skids when the V8 supercars can hire the whole town for a week!

running the V8's at the olympic park brings in huge revenue. Money in lots of people's pockets means you can do anything. Many people have already spoken with ministers & council groups.

Local minister for Menai says she's willing to help us but we haven't heard from her in awhile..

Asking for funding and land for a new facility is a lot harder because it's basically going to be a repeat of WSID but slightly easier if out of reach by the ARDC.

plus doesn't help that the government just gave 5 million to the ARDC..

Using existing venues is easier but if you want it to be regular you have to convince who ever owns the land that it's worth it, Council that it's SAFE!, Anyone that lives near by that they wont even know where there, That we're not making a spot for those on the anti social side that like to do burnouts in front of a crowded pit lane at Eastern Creek...

There are many spots to slide in Sydney. There's spots near the airport, heaps in port kembla, a TAFE up HnR's way, Holsworthy Military base (goodluck getting in there)

many more..

I'd be honestly happy if eastern Creek got off their high horse and didn't treat us like dirt, fixed their attitude, prices, and let us use the new track they built and changed the contracts with WSID & the go kart track because

that go kart track would be awesome for drifting & WSID return rd and the parking lot their was the most fun I've had drifting in NSW since Oran Park, lest we forget.

But ARDC seem to be untouchable...

Well at the moment it looks like trying to get eastern creek on side is the logical answer, having the go kart track, the peanut and part of the main track once a week would be awesome! Is there any reason why they are so difficult towards drifters? From my limited knowledge from some past events, if we had these three tracks open once a week on a week night they would have to be making a fair bit of money without ripping us off and it would be a steady income.

For the car parks, would it be worth while putting a business plan together with forecasts on the future of the event and presenting them to each relevant council. We can show them what we are all about and show that we actually want to work together with the community to create a positive car culture. If we present it in a way that it looks like we are trying to help them comnect with the youths that should get votes? We can also plug the money aspect of it, obviously there wouldn't be huge money in it like the v8s but it would be profitable and that would have to be appealing to the councils.

The only other thing they care about is votes so we could make it out like the local car community (us) has set-up a driver awareness night that helps young impressionable kids to respect the automobile and learn driver safety while enjoying a respectable hobby.

Shit, we can even get the cops down there too, they can rip some skids in a hwy patrol car!

We definetly have the numbers, I think we just have to have the chance to present ourselves professionally and try get at least one event from one council, if one of them gives us a chance then we go above and beyond what we said we were going to do, behave and they have no reason to stop another event happening.