Sign in to follow this  
The New Guy

Red goes faster 180SX UPDATE - 250kw, E85, Poncams

Hi fellas I've been on this forum longer than I can remember. I was put off having a member's ride thread as I sometimes find it off putting as I'm quite a private person.

Anyway I've changed my mind and just want to share my car that I've had for quite a long time. It's nothing special really, just your garden variety here.

Car is 93 180SX

Engine and Driveline:

FMIC

Garrett GT2871R

Nismo 740cc injectors

ID1000cc injectors

Walbro E85 fuel pump

Aeromotive FPR

Tomei Poncams

Rocker Arm Stopper

Brian Crower Valve springs

Nistune

Trust Style oil sump

3 inch front pipe

metal cat

Trust catback exhuast

Stock Airbox with Blitz filter

NPC Heavy duty clutch

S14 5 Speed box

Interior:

Stock

R33 GTR seats

Suspension & Brakes:

Tein SS with camber tops

MCA Blue supension

Kazama Castor rods

S15 5 stud conversion

S15 front LCA

Evo 8 Brembo calipers

Pro-concept 320mm rotors

HFM BM57 BMC

R33 Gts-t rear brakes

JustJap rear camber arms

JustJap rear toe arms

HardRace rear camber arms

HardRace rear toe arms

Cusco front strut brace

Cusco rear strut brace

Drift Teks 18x8.5 + 30 front

Drift Teks 18x8.5 + 30 rear

Works Meisters S1 3P 18x9 +18

Works Meisters S1 3P 18x10+18

Federal SS 595 235/40 front

Federal SS 595 235/40 rear

Future plans:

Exterior respray

Type X side skirt

Type X rear light assembly

GP sport rear spoiler (maybe)

Nardi Steering wheel

Some better guages

------------------------------------------------------

Koyo Radiator

Tomei poncams

Brian Crower Valve springs

GKtech (Tomei style) oil pan

GKtech RAS

-----------------------------------------------------

Work Meister S1 3p 18x9 and 18x10

-----------------------------------------------------

Improve ones driving abilities

Here is what the car currently looks like. It needs a lot of improvements.

pic from iphone 241.jpg

pic from iphone 244.jpg

pic from iphone 240.jpg

pic from iphone 245.jpg

Edited by The New Guy

Looks sick man ! Red always looks good on 180s especially with type x rears :)

I like it, looks clean as and sharp in the red

[quote name=fyjosh' timestamp='1338561207'F

post='6625595]

Looks awesome Sonny, dont know why you ever wanted to sell it

Yeah I just got bored of it for a while coz it was my daily ride. It's more of a weekend car now so i guess I'll have more time to do thing properly to it without rushing things. I just didn't want to do too much when it was mu daily.

Looks sick man ! Red always looks good on 180s especially with type x rears :)

Thanks. Love type x rear.

Damn. It's beautiful man. One of the cleanest 180's I've seen in a long time.

post='6625595]

Yeah I just got bored of it for a while coz it was my daily ride. It's more of a weekend car now so i guess I'll have more time to do thing properly to it without rushing things. I just didn't want to do too much when it was mu daily.

yeah the car is looking good, if you need Any help with it let me know I'm just down the road

post='6625595]

yeah the car is looking good, if you need Any help with it let me know I'm just down the road

Might have to take up on that offer sometime down the track lol.

Bit of an update:

Parts that I have ordered and waiting to be installed and tuned. Hopefully it will all be done by the end of this month.

Soooo, I've finally decided to go e85 plus since we are doing all this I thought we might chuck in some cams in there aswell so it gets tuned all in one go, and the setup is as followed.

-ID1000

-Donnys topfeed fuel rail kit

-Aeromtive fpr

-Walbro new 450lr per hour designed to run e85.

-Tomei poncam

-BC springs

So once the parts are in, it will be tuned by Trent at Chequered. I'm kinda excited about the results, but from what I have gathered Trent is a very good tuner.

New intercooler piping

Canon Pictures 006.jpg

Canon Pictures 004.jpg

I had theses cooler piping done by LCD Dan.

He's freakin good. I could not have been happier.

The old cooler piping that came with the kit which were 3 inch were ditch in favour of these 2.5 so they could be routed to go around the battery tray not through it.

Took the car out for a drive after the pipes were done and it's more responsive compared the the 3 inch. Boost come on quicker and harder.

Now it just needs a good coat of black paint and it should be sweet.

Edited by The New Guy

Did you get the e85 tune yet? I'm curious to see the results.

This is the EXACT thing I'm doing. ie: e85 and poncams through Donny. Just got to pay a few other bills first.

Currently I'm only at 215rwkw. Hopefully with e85 and poncams I can get a responsive 260rwkw with my t518z 8cm. I'd be wrapped with that.

What kind of gains are expecting? What's your current rwkw?

Did you get the e85 tune yet? I'm curious to see the results.

This is the EXACT thing I'm doing. ie: e85 and poncams through Donny. Just got to pay a few other bills first.

Currently I'm only at 215rwkw. Hopefully with e85 and poncams I can get a responsive 260rwkw with my t518z 8cm. I'd be wrapped with that.

What kind of gains are expecting? What's your current rwkw?

Hey buddy sorry didn't respond sooner.

I just got it tuned today and it made 250kw@19psi from Chequered tuning dyno. The setup is like yours also but I think you will make 260 easy with the Trust turbo plus you have a better engine than mine with vvt and all that jazz.

I made that figure with 2.5 inch cold side intercooler piping and a stock air box runing apexi panel filter.

The old setup I had was 3 inch cold side intercooler piping, standard cams and pod filter and it made 192atw on 18-19 psi. Keep in mind that was withoutmcams thought. So to get 250 I cannot be happier eventough my internal waste gate was dropping off boost after 5500rpm back to 16.5psi ish. So if boost was steady then it would have made more.

Here is the dyno graph.

Dyno sheet_0001.jpg

I think Trent did it in 4th gear so if you are good at converting rpm into speed then be my guest lol.

Dyno sheet_0001.jpg

The boost graph above shows a bit of drop off after 5000 rpm. if only it held boost then I would love to see what power would eventually accomplished.

Dyno sheet_0002.jpg

Edited by The New Guy

Wow I think that's a great result :D Awesome ramp up (which is what the poncams are famous for). Looks like it pulls hard!

How does it feel on the road? Must be a HUGE difference from your 192rwkw? I bet it pulls a lot harder. How did your Nismo 740cc go on the e85? Close to maxing out at 250rwkw? I might go sard 850cc which is the biggest side feed you can get. People keep telling me to go top mount injectors ID1000. But I want to avoid that if I can for stealth reasons. I doubt I'll get above 260 with this turbo anyway. I would of got more if I got the 10cm rear but I wanted response.

Very nice results bro.

Interested to see how close those injectors were to maxing??

Didn't he say earlier he was going to upgrade to id1000cc ?

My 740cc were maxed at 20psi boost 253rwk on eflex any more boost and it would lean out up top

similar setup as his but a tdo5h18g

Going for a retune in the next few weeks trying out a fuel reg to squeeze abit more out of my 740cc injectors and hopefully up the boost to 25psi hoping for a 20rwkw gain

You setup isn't to shabby 250rwkw and it's dropping to 16.5 psi mine holds 20psi solid

Get it to hold 22psi to redline and it should be 270rwkw+

Is that a 52t 2871r ?

External gate or stronger actuator should fix the boost drop

Wow I think that's a great result :D Awesome ramp up (which is what the poncams are famous for). Looks like it pulls hard!

How does it feel on the road? Must be a HUGE difference from your 192rwkw? I bet it pulls a lot harder. How did your Nismo 740cc go on the e85? Close to maxing out at 250rwkw? I might go sard 850cc which is the biggest side feed you can get. People keep telling me to go top mount injectors ID1000. But I want to avoid that if I can for stealth reasons. I doubt I'll get above 260 with this turbo anyway. I would of got more if I got the 10cm rear but I wanted response.

I was going to use the 740cc to start with but after some research I went straight to the ID1000s for a little bit of headroom if I get bored later on Lol.

Took the car out today just for a quick squirt and from driving the old tune (192) to the new tune (250) I can say that it comes on quite strong compaired to the old setup. But one thing I noticed was that it the power is a lot smoother now so the car just keeps on generating speed but in a nice way, whereas before it would be nothing then hellllooo.

It's just a really quick test so I'll keep updates later.

Very nice results bro.

Nah I didn't use the 740. I got ID1000 instead.

Didn't he say earlier he was going to upgrade to id1000cc ?

My 740cc were maxed at 20psi boost 253rwk on eflex any more boost and it would lean out up top

similar setup as his but a tdo5h18g

Going for a retune in the next few weeks trying out a fuel reg to squeeze abit more out of my 740cc injectors and hopefully up the boost to 25psi hoping for a 20rwkw gain

You setup isn't to shabby 250rwkw and it's dropping to 16.5 psi mine holds 20psi solid

Get it to hold 22psi to redline and it should be 270rwkw+

Is that a 52t 2871r ?

External gate or stronger actuator should fix the boost drop

Yep 2871r 52t

Any suggestion on stronger internal actuator?

Too much much about with external gate with current 2871 i reckon. If it comes to external gate time then one would have to consider Precision path lol. There I go pipe dreaming again haha.

Very nice results bro.

Do you mind If I ask you about cost inclusing install? I think I'm going to do the same. Do you have any photos of how the top feed looks? I want it to look stealth so it will still pass RWC if you ever want to sell etc.

Btw what fuel pump have you got?

Thanks mate. :)

Edited by s15rocket

What actuator does it have now psi rating ?

You will need atleast a 15psi one

Very nice results bro.

Do you mind If I ask you about cost inclusing install? I think I'm going to do the same. Do you have any photos of how the top feed looks? I want it to look stealth so it will still pass RWC if you ever want to sell etc.

Btw what fuel pump have you got?

Thanks mate. smile.png

Pump is a Walbro 416LPH e85 pump.

Below is a picture of the fuel rail. It's not quite stealthy but at least it's not bright purple or bright blue. This one is more of a dark blue and yeah they foul my strut brace hehe.

241383_10151215220570152_1840596862_o.jpg

Red looks damn nice. Have you decided if your going internal or external gating?

I'll stick with this......External gate is just a pipe dream at this stage :drool:

Red looks damn nice. Have you decided if your going internal or external gating?

I'll stick with this......External gate is just a pipe dream at this stage :drool:

Dreams can come true

Just run the gate of your standard manifold or exhaust housing

Dreams can come true

ooooh that's sounds goood.

Dreams can come true

ooooh that's sounds goood.

very simple to do

IMG_1758.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2415.JPG

I'm running an internal gated 3071R and for better boost control I ported the hole behind the wastegate flap and the path leading to it. It worked quite well.

I won't be going external gate unless I go a bigger turbo now.