Sign in to follow this  
CaBS

SXDevelopments S15 (SXDS15) - Pursuit of the perfect circuit/road S15

Well we headed down to Goulburn on Sunday night and crashed the night down there. Avoiding a really early morning for the big day ahead. JDM Yard had organised a private day which we managed to get word of (thanks Tom) and head down too. We ended up having to pull the intake manifold off again before leaving to swap out a snapped screw cap bolt in it but this happened without many dramas. We've got it down to a fine art now. :P

Thanks to John from Unique AutoSports for loaning us his trailer at mates rates the car gets on and off this thing easily.

IMG_1302_zpsf97e764c.jpg

Started off with James doing a PB of a 104 flat in the first session.

20130930_104238_zps2bbcc551.jpg

During the sessions we gradually worked our way down to 1.02.8, then 1.01.7, then 1.01.5 then finally 1.01.4 in the final session. But by the final session we were consistently sub 102 on flying laps. For a first time out with this setup and an owner driver team we're pretty stoked with. The car worked with only small issues we could fix throughout the day. Oil surge was basically a non issue with the changes we'd made.

IMG_1311_zps6b0fbe11.jpg

The splitter survived a high speed off at turn nine with only the under side rub plates copping it hard will need to replace these before the next time out.

IMG_1305_zps4cdd7f25.jpg

The amount of bugs out was rather insane, maybe pest control sponsorship is in order? :P

20130930_154802_zps00e3445f.jpg

Thanks again to the JDM Yard team for organising this is a shot of their integra which is entered in open class. Not sure what lap times it was doing but its looking wicked quick down the main straight and through the top. Looks like the car is torque steering pretty hard making for an exciting ride!

IMG_1316_zpsdc814b6b.jpg

Thanks to Jono from Bilstein Racing for his tech support via mobile with suspension tweaks. This really made all the difference to our day getting the thing dialed in much better and a more comfortable setup so James could push harder. We were all blown away by the large difference some very small changes made to the car. I'm hoping I can scrape the budget abit further and get this setup for my own car based on our experiences this weekend.

Incar from the lap.

I have some more footage of some "moments" and gopro from the front bar again which I can go through later and post.

More soon!

Massive congrats James and co!

Crazy quick on the first time out. The power seems so linear...

Was that a mis-shift/over-rev as you crossed the line or had you already crossed?

Nah he happened to miss 5th on that lap its not over the line yet either so would have cost a tenth or two.

Edited by CaBS

Was that on the 1:01.4 lap?

Yup thats the lap the video is of

Saw the 10 minute battle on the pitwall, car had so much grip and the speed you guys pack down the straight was addictive to watch.

Jdmyard car wasnt far off but seems like the s15 didn't need to work as many gears as the honda had to. Great job in flying the silvia flag

Cheers guys. Still mulling over the laps and a there is definitely time left in it, and i'm kicking myself in a few areas I didn't drive differently but it was an awesome day, awesome bunch of people and I set a PB so I can't complain!

NSCC Day this weekend heading down for some testing Pre WTAC. Cant wait to get out there again! =)

Also pretty excited to see what times out last minute entries can pull. I'm guessing... fast.

Back from the track today. Was an interesting day... Started off with a bit of power steering fluid we noticed leaking that we thought was some residue of the fluid boiling at the last track day. What turned out to be the case was the high pressure side power steering line had been heat effected and was seeping. Given the high pressure involved we didn't want to take the chance of the line splitting and spraying on a hot manifold. pirtek was called and they were happy to fix. We ended up driving around all morning organising and had a repaired line back at the track with ps fluid by 10:30 had the car back together by 12. We were also keen to test a new front splitter we made with a lot more complex shapes. We weren't sure whether our theory was going to work in practice and also if it was going to be strong enough.

So after finally getting out on the track we found our splitter massively changed the balance we'd fine tuned the last time and the car was quite difficult to drive with high speed snap over steer which was interesting at turn 3 and 9. Actually had my first spin in a long time.

Added some more rear wing (now maxed) and it made it slightly better but still a hard drive. We're optimistic though as even with a pretty average lap the car did a 1.01.6 which is two tenths off the pb but it felt like there was more in it if we can get the rear to settle down. The next week leading to wtac is going to be very busy...

Pics to come.

More wing required!? :shades:

Bigger end plates would be the easiest way to try to eek out some more downforce from the rear wing and something not limited by the rules?

Nothing to do with the class - the area under the wing is more important than the area above for creating downforce and large end plates can help with that - the RE Amemiya wing is a perfect example of how they have attempted improve the effectiveness of their setup from last year....

Thanks for all the support.. Was an insane week full of challenges but thats what makes wtac exciting.

I'll put up some footage and info shortly... Here is an entertaining teaser... We had a beautifully handling balanced car in practice but changing to the advans resulted in quite a different car. Really didn't expect it to change so dramatically but it did. We spent all of WTAC trying to get the car to handle nicely and tried literally everything but it just wasn't our weekend. Still had a ball though.

Below video was a last ditch test, we took off the new front aero we made thinking that maybe we just had way too much front downforce. The below video I turned in slower than all the other laps, although still turned in at about 230km/hr... Wheel turned in but the car definitely didn't! Needed a new race suit after this... Note even after going through the sand trap and out the other side I was still doing 80km/hr.

Damn!

Was that just massive understeer!!?? I take it wasn't overspeeding the corner going by your 230km straight speed - surely the car is capable of much more than that.

In any case, was great to see you out there. Hope you sort the issues out and go back for a good crack and show what the car can really do :)

Interesting that the tyres made the car worst, was wondering why you guys weren't out on the track, the v2 front diffuser looks very good

That video has nothing to do with suspension. That shows the effect of downforce... Or lack of!

I actually turned into turn 1 slower than I was with the new splitter we just seriously underestimated how much of a difference our new splitter was making!

The bilsteins are top of the line Motorsport piston with adjustable valve stacks for rebound and canisters with high and low speed bump. They are seriously awesome. At Wakefield even minor adjustments could change the car.

Car was handling awesome on the hankooks. On the practice day I did a relatively relaxed lap and did a 1.38 just getting used to the track again. Was awesome to drive. Then we put the advans on and it was a serious bucket with bad oversteer. Problem with wtac is you get so little track time we didn't have enough time to re tune the suspension.

Since the event had a chat to quite a few people that found the advans different to the hankooks. The BC automotive guys were battling under steer in testing and then changed to advans and the car was actually better for them.

We seriously under estimated a tyre change could actually change the balance of the car. Lesson learnt...

Stupid iPhone is being annoying uploading pics but here's one thanks to Matt Cook.

More soon.

image.jpg

Other various pictures from the weekend and the lead up.

1374895_531540090264442_501529372_n_zps92af8b6f.jpg

1380310_529056243846160_1869999919_n_zps9ab29b27.jpg

1397118_703602336335086_78794545_o_zpsfa0f3c5b.jpg

1380045_522349114516873_943851731_n_zps5705ed94.jpg

1238384_531257013626083_1285134012_n_zpsf3e88442.jpg

615342_10152312029059676_1434144960_o_zpsda3ff564.jpg

1410860_10152324363999676_36433366_o_zps4843a610.jpg

1397206_10152324364274676_2121416587_o_zps355bb237.jpg

IMG_1411_zps5a7359b9.jpg

IMG_1407_zps9e920476.jpg

IMG_1405_zpsaeeeed5d.jpg

IMG_1400_zps71797ff7.jpg

IMG_1399_zps26044ba4.jpg

IMG_1401_zpse3ad855c.jpg

IMG_1395_zps51d3bda4.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsf5c2562f.jpg

20131019_113853_zps4d6fde95.jpg

20131018_174721_zps0432dbfe.jpg

20131018_174714_zpsec1360a0.jpg

20131018_115557_zpsab13c045.jpg

20131017_192442_zps3734d4ce.jpg

20131017_160748_zpsf71815c6.jpg

20131017_154103_zpscc168752.jpg

20131017_154036_zpsc7e23cef.jpg

20131017_153453_zps9bf2981d.jpg

Great pics - a lot to look at and absorb there.

Are you able to post a pic of the splitter that worked and the one that... worked less?

I'm interested in understanding what changed between them.

Hoping someone here will have an broken S13 motor without a damaged block that we can buy and rehone or do a mild rebore on for a side project? If you do could you please post in here or send me a PM that'd be awesome. (Preferably in Sydney so we can come check it out and pickup)

Cheers!

Great pics - a lot to look at and absorb there.

Are you able to post a pic of the splitter that worked and the one that... worked less?

I'm interested in understanding what changed between them.

There are pictures of both in the mix there tinto if you look closely. Basically the V1 splitter is the one in all the pictures until afew weeks ago which is quite effective but the new one has some more complex shapes in it and is wider with some basic canards on the sides.