Sign in to follow this  
keyhole150

Toyota 86 - How does it stack up?

Hah comparing BMW depreciation to the 86's depreciation. There's a reason you can get one for under 40k with 10-20 on the clock, because they depreciate like a bitch.

Plus there's no way a big, heavy ass four door BMW is going to be as fun to drive through the hills as the 86. Trust me I've driven faster, heavier cars through the hills and nothing is as fun to drive as my AE86.

Also a complaint about having to ring out the engine, ever driven an AE86?

Wtf you can get a bmw with 10-20,000ks on it for about 40k.

Doesn't have to be 2012.

I'm not even talking about performance.

You and I and everyone else knows 40k for the 86 is overpriced.

You are comparing the price of a BRAND NEW VEHICLE with that of a SECOND HAND, USED VEHICLE. it is not the same thing.

f**k, you are one dense *I love my mum*.

The Price of the 86 doesnt even come into it. if it was 30K youd be saying how youd get something 2nd hand in that price bracket that is better.

And 40K for a car with handling characteristics that are on par or exceed that of one that costs more (like a miata which is around 50k, or a cayman which is even more than that) is a pretty good deal. The pricing for AU hasnt been announced yet and its all just speculation anyway, so the price of the vehicle is irrelevant at this point (however it will make or break if the car is successful)

I'd rather class over ass.

40k dropped on a bmw over the 86 by miles.

My opinion.

If class is determined by a badge, the human race is doomed.

Oh wait, it's not. So only some are doomed.

the mere fact that someone like rolled cambers would own a BMW breaks down any class or prestige held by the BMW badge.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who asks how to "roll the cambers" would buy a BMW just because it's a BMW, regardless of whether or not it is actually a better car and/or better value.

Edited by KurtHS

his dum.

wear smart.

But I think I agree, apples vs bananas I think I'd rather a used 135i, they're full sick.

Official pricing from toyotas FB page.

base: 29,990 plus onroads (33k)

premium: 34,990 plus onroads (39k)

Toyota is going to sell a metric f**kton of these (and insurance for them is going to be insane after the first year).

So happy about the price, easily affordable. Going to be interesting to see how Subaru price the BRZ.

considering so many people were anticipating a 40K price for the base model toyota has chumped themselves out of a few grand.

but at the same time ifi t was 40k for the base model no one would be buying it in favor of other cars in that price range that are simply better.

Still undecided on buying one, the pricing just makes its harder for me.

Do I dump half that into the 180; Buy one and turbo it; or hold out for a supercharged variant?

Decisions decisions.

Jeez, that's priced well for both models.Honestly, i'm a bit surprised.

Jeez, that's priced well for both models.Honestly, i'm a bit surprised.

same here. i honestly was expecting 50k for the premium model... id hold out and wait for a series 2 variant or whatever. wait for them to iron out any bugs they have and such.

hopefully in a couple years tme i can pick a 2nd hand one up for 22k or so haha

the FA20 has a turbo model with DI-only (not the 8 injector DI/port inj. that the NA FA20 has in the 86) that is showing up in the new liberty. 300HP and way more torque too.

id say a turbo model in the 40-50k bracket in the next few years is highly likely, at least in the BRZ anyway.

I'm actually shocked with that pricing i was sure it was gonna be mid $30k for base model..... swear i keep looking at the price and cant stop laughing

very sharply priced!

big surprise ")

86 GT manual – $29,990

86 GT automatic – $32,490

86 GTS manual – $35,490

86 GTS automatic – $37,990

Is what I've read. Subaru variant is supposed to have stiffer springs. Wait until GKTech makes a turbo manifold and whack on your favourite ball bearing and you're set for a European car eater.

86 GT manual – $29,990

86 GTS manual – $35,490

Is what I've read. Subaru variant is supposed to have stiffer springs. Wait until GKTech makes a turbo manifold and whack on your favourite ball bearing and you're set for a European car eater.

drop a ej25 in it and call it a day

doesnt bolt up to the 6spd as its a toyota jobby (auto is out of the IS350 or whatever it is called these days)

gotta drop in the trans with the EJ but yeah, the G-reddy team already did this with their D1 car.

From the reviews I've read I'd go the Toyota version. set up to be more tail happy.

Like the pricing but I'd prefer a boosted version.

86 GT manual – $29,990

86 GTS manual – $35,490

The S1 will always be a flop, by the time a series 2 comes out and if the car is a success there will be plenty of after market support for it. Which we can all hope for cause that will mean other cars like R35 will come down in price cause there will be a lack of demand for high end sport cars

Edited by MidnightMods

Hahaha yeah i am sure nissan is shitting bricks right now

"what?! 30k for a 2L NA RWD sports coupe?! we're f**ked! we better lower the price of the GTR IMMEDIATELY to try and compete on these clearly identical cars!

Edited by Varvs

Competetive pricing in a niche market - cheap, RWD sports coupe. Should be enough to bring back the Silvia.

Competetive pricing in a niche market - cheap, RWD sports coupe. Should be enough to bring back the Silvia.

Let's hope so if toyota can do it Nissan have no excuse

just for shits and giggles. What would people's thoughts be if this was co developed between Nissan and Toyota instead and was marketed as the new Silvia/86?

"what?! 30k for a 2L NA RWD sports coupe?! we're f**ked! we better lower the price of the GTR IMMEDIATELY to try and compete on these clearly identical cars!

The 2nd hand car market...

I'm seriously considering putting a deposit down tomorrow. My local dealer has a black GTS manual available plus their red demo car but I only want the GT spec.

The 2nd hand car market...

no one shopping for a GTR is going to consider the 86, and anyone considering the 86 cant afford a GTR.

just for shits and giggles. What would people's thoughts be if this was co developed between Nissan and Toyota instead and was marketed as the new Silvia/86?

I wouldn't have a fkn boxer in it for a start :bringiton: