Sign in to follow this  
Meticulous

Side door speakers s13

I've done research and it's still confusing me. The stock speakers are 4 x 6. I see all these threads about converting to a 6.5' using spacers/wooden cutouts etc etc but how does the final product look? There's a lack of photos. The cutout is oval stock where as most 6' or 6.5' speakers are circular? Does this leave holes in the sides where the oval speaker would have been?

You just leave the door card and the oval shaped speaker grille on that as it is. But underneath that, your round 6.5" speaker sits against the door itself once you buy or make that adapter to put it in. The stock speaker is tiny and fairly deep inside the hole inside a plastic angled enclosure that you just unscrew and replace with the adapter plate to fill the hole and allow you to screw in the speaker to the adapter plate which is screwed onto the door.

I did this myself recently and researched it, there are templates online you can print off to cut your own adapter plate out of MDF. People recommended either buying the plastic one on ebay or else adding some kind of paint or something to the MDF to make it more waterproof, because a fair bit of moisture gets in there and you don't want the wood to rot.