Sign in to follow this  
gms

need some help

Hi guys,

Probably am going to get hammered by you guys here, but I've done a lot of

reading of old threads and still don't understand. So here goes

I am about 90kg and am about 170cm tall. I work 6 days a week have 2 small kids and am

studying part time. Every day from Monday to Friday I get up at 3.45am have instant oats and jacked 3d.

Then go to gym and work one body part for each day. Eg chest on Monday, legs on Tuesday, back on Wednesday etc. Some days I ride my bike to work about 20k round trip. I can only work out at this rubber due to study and family. My diet through out the day consits of chicken, Turkey, kangaroo, salmon, brown rice, fruit and veg. Horleys ripped shake once a day. Of late I have switched to basmati rice cause I can no longer stomach brown rice. Admititly lately I have been eating a shit load of junk, cause sick of not seeing the results I want. My goal us like so many others to build muscle lose fat, especially around the gut. Please guys offer some advise to diet and workout, starting to loose faith and need some inspiration.

Sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise. Is it a good combination of cardio and weight training or more weight training?

Issues seem to be a possible lack of sleep and not allowing muscles to recover/grow and obviously eating too much junk food, losing the benefits of whatever else you eat.

Probably should keep a log of what you eat so you can see where your going wrong OR even better plan your meals throughout the day and stick to those and avoid the junk. Maybe even change the time of the day you train and get more sleep.

other than the junk food your diet seems to be using the right stuff, so you should be seeing gains in muscle mass and strength. that said, how much sleep are you getting? if your body is fatigued you wont see the best results you can.

post up your program and diet

Thanks guys, getting about 7 hrs sleep not sure if this is enogh but it will have to do.

Cutting out all junk foods and those moments where I think its ok I'll just have a bite! My plan is to consume about 2100 cal and burn about 500 cal a day taking me to a total of 1600cals.

I plan on monitorig this by using a polar watch and android app. So the more I burn the more I am able to eat. Is this correct??

Diet I am starting tommorow will be:

Meal 1: Instant poridge and coffee. Do workout then protien shake

Snack: Almonds/fruit

Meal 2: 250g Chicken and veg

Meal 3: Tin of tuna/fruit

Snack: Protien shake

Meal 4: 250g kangaroo and veg

I plan on rotating meats with Turkey, Salmon, Eggs (omalette)

Is it ok to incorperate basmati rice into some meals? (can no longer stomach brown rice)

My workout I have changed a little but is basiclly the same.

Monday, bi tri

B/B curl 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Hammer curls, 2 sets 12, 10 reps

D/B concentration curls 2 sets 8, 6 reps

Close grip B/B bench press 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Tricep pushdown rope 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Cable one arm tri extension 2 sets 12, 10 reps

Tuesday, chest abs

D/B incline 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

D/B bench 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

D/B fly 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Hanging leg raises 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Cable crunch 2 sets 10,10 reps

D/B side bends 2 sets 10,10 reps

Exercise ball crunch 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Wednsday Hams, calves

Seated leg curls 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Seated calf raises 6 sets 4 sets, 14, 14,12,10,8, 6 reps

Deadlifts 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Thursday back, abs

Lat pull down 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Smith machine bent over row 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

D/B bent over rows 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Hanging leg raises 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Cable crunch 2 sets 10,10 reps

D/B side bends 2 sets 10,10 reps

Exercise ball crunch 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Friday shoulders

Smith machine overhead shoulder press 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

D/B lat raises 3 sets 12, 10, 8 reps

D/B front raises 2 sets 20, 16 reps

Reverse flys 4 sets, 14,12,10,8 reps

Deadlift to clean 5 sets 10, 10, 10, 10, 8 reps

Stopped using jacked 3d and just having a coffee, also switched horley ripped for horley's ice.

Will also ride my bike to work twice a week, its about 20 k round trip and takes all up about a hour.

Let me know what you think guys

add another 2 more protein shakes in your diet.

one of them as slow release (casein) before u go to bed.

add a protein in between your meal 2 and meal 3.

im not too sure what your goal is, but im guessing you want to lean... its hard to gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time.

drink lots of water... lots lol.

I'm gonna guess that it's the gut that's annoying you more.

I'd personally cut out alot of carbs and consider whether your'e eating too much in general. I lost 12kg without changing my gym routine at all (not saying it didn't help but it was mostly my diet that was holding me back). When you lose fat you'll be alot more defined and you might find that you don't really need much size to look good.

I can see that you're trying really hard but maybe you should just go to the gym a bit less, consolidate it into 2-3 visits a week and dumb it down. As for junk, sometimes I get a sweet tooth and sometimes I really cbf doing the right thing, I just want a bit of choccy or baclava or ice cream etc, the trick for me is to just have a little bit and I find that's all I need. I notice I start to feel sick if I eat too much junk anyway.

Sounds like your goal is fat loss more than building muscle. Maybe focus more on cadio for a while until you drop the kilos.

k thanks for the suggestions guys, ill give it a crack B-)

Since you around 90kg already, why dont u tone up/loose a bit of weight first?

From someone that used to run a lot, i think you need to start running more..it tones up the whole body esp the abs

Riding a bike isnt that great, esp only 20km round trip..

And since you want to tone..your rep range should be around 20-25 per set

20-25 reps per set, surley joking? if your doing that many reps you are using too light a weight.

12-15 is ample

Since you around 90kg already, why dont u tone up/loose a bit of weight first?

From someone that used to run a lot, i think you need to start running more..it tones up the whole body esp the abs

Riding a bike isnt that great, esp only 20km round trip..

And since you want to tone..your rep range should be around 20-25 per set

Sounds legit.

Doing such high reps will help you with endurance and cardio. Not the best for muscle building. Also 'toning up' doesn't really mean anything. You either build muscle or lose fat. Style your workout to the muscle building/fat loss ratio that suits you.

Edited by steveP

and riding a bike 20km isnt good, wrong again

depending on speed of the ride he stands to burn well over 300 calories, and the after burn of excersice (metabolism speeding up) will take care of another few hundred

and riding a bike 20km isnt good, wrong again depending on speed of the ride he stands to burn well over 300 calories, and the after burn of excersice (metabolism speeding up) will take care of another few hundred

not comapred to running...20kms is nothing on a bike if ur half fit

and yes 20-25 is for toning...obviously 12-15 is not ample, othrwise he wont be on here LOL

Edited by skuma

and riding a bike 20km isnt good, wrong again depending on speed of the ride he stands to burn well over 300 calories, and the after burn of excersice (metabolism speeding up) will take care of another few hundred

and yes 20-25 is for toning...obviously 12-15 is not ample, othrwise he wont be on here LOL

:whack: now shhhhhh with your dribble

So what you're suggesting is the OP runs 20km a few times a week ( that in itself is dumb) and switch all the weight excercises to 20-25 reps. Sure you will lose weight, infact it would probably fall off, but goodluck keeping any large amount of muscle already there and maintaining the weight after its lost.

WHAT THE f**k IS TONING!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Muscles don't discriminate, they tear and rebuild, doing 20-25 reps is crap, unless you are doing breathing squats or cardio. Your training regime is crap and you will go backwards on that diet.

Go through the 3000000000 threads already on this exact topic and you will see what i am talking about.

/end rage.

Yea would have to agree with both comments. I burn around 385 cal going to work and 450 going home (more up hill). Running would burn more calories, but over that distance my knees would be mush! I burn around 500 plus easily when lifting weights.

I plan on incorporating more running into my routine as I build up fitness but shorter circuits like 3 & 5 k.

After looking into calorie counting I now realise diet was more my problem. Eating good during the week and then eating crap on weekends just throws all your hard work out the window.

Here is my advice, do with it what you want

Firstly, start training rather than going to the gym.

Your program is joke, your wasting your time, but you already know that as your not progressing. Try the Beginners workout 3 x week

With Diet, go to 2500 calories a day, 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs

Do no running or bike riding or any other fluff

As your bodyweight drops, drop your calories accordingly

Good luck

m&m, new here could you please point out where the beginners workout is? Did a search and nuthin come up. Thanks

m&m, new here could you please point out where the beginners workout is? Did a search and nuthin come up. Thanks

Yes also want to know. If that is a part of the 'program' you were selling in the other thread, am happy to pay.

No charge mate, I didnt write them, been around for 100 years

Anyone of the programs Neil put up are fine, as long as you add weight EVERY session, or do one of the 3 "mores"

Because at some stage you wont be able to add weight, you have to either

do more reps or more sets, because if you repeat a session youve gone backwards

So more weight, more reps or more sets.

Example: Bench press 60kg x 8 x 3 sets. Next week aim for 62.5kg x 8 x 3. If you fail, you till added weight, so thats fine. Lets say you did 62.5kg x 7,6,5

Following session you do 62.5kg x 7,6,5. You have to do another set

If you managed 7,6,6, thats fine, you improved

Do one of the 3 MORES