Sign in to follow this  
RxDrift

RxDrift's 1.5JZ GZ20 Soarer Track Car - 1.5JZ, E85, 340kw @ 14psi.

Thought I would put my car up here for something to do!

How it basically sits now.

402545_198239860277583_155876581180578_269330_15956_n.jpg

ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN

1986 Toyota Soarer GZ20

1JZ (JZA70) & W58 gbox

Xtreme motorsport solid button clutch

TRS short shifter

Garrett GT3582R @ 16psi

Microtech LTX12 w/ Dash

Bosch external pump

Tial wastegate

3" exhaust with twin exit

Alloy radiator

Oil cooler and filter relocator

TRD 71deg thermostat

SUSPENSION

ISC Coilovers F:14kg R:10kg

Front camber arms

Locked Torsen LSD

Adjustable rear sway bar

JZA70 front sway bar

Front strut brace

Steering rack spacers

Custom lower front arms

INTERIOR

Bride Brix drivers seat

Apexi AVCR

VELO drivers harness

Hydraulic handbrake

Dished suede steering wheel

15cm dildo knob

Autometer boost gauge

Shadow Pro Oil Temo, Water Temp and Oil Pressure gauges

EXTERIOR

Factory body kit

Custom flares

Custom combat bonnet vent

Rota Grid-R 17x9.5 -8 (+12 with 20mm spacers front and rear)

235/45/17 Federal 595 F&R

Aerocatch bonnet pins F&R

PROGRESS PHOTOS

Beginning of 2011

IMG_1705.jpg

Painted fresh parts

img2331qj.jpg

img2340.jpg

When it was twin turbo

img2342v.jpg

img2347b.jpg

img1253xh.jpg

Cutting guards

img2454k.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

Edited by RxDrift

Stadium Drift May 2011

img2485q.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

Changed over the leaking radiator

img2574ub.jpg

img2584b.jpg

New kit and front bar

img2594b.jpg

img2597m.jpg

Won a round of the SA motorkhana series - 1st in class and outright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17JZEiw3PS4

Did a hillclimb and blew a turbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zfM5io_ruY

img2760u.jpg

img1652tu.jpg

img1658i.jpg

img2906b.jpg

Testing at Mallala private day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hped5az7xEE

Edited by RxDrift

awesome car dude :)

for aaaages iv wanted a gz20 ever since i saw a picture of like a matt black one from the states ages ago.. it had awesome meshies and mass dish, and i was like 16 and thought it was tits..

nice work on the 1j bro, did you do the conversion yourself or did you buy it like that?? some nice results there as well, looks like you can steer it pretty well.. ;)

From G1 Rd 3 2011

img2957e.jpg

Wildcard top 16 battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZ9as4kmkE

Wildcard top 8 battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNjcG71r-M

Made it to the top 4

316420_194748023939379_153460548068127_423497_2112452093_n.jpg

Did some weight reduction

img3176m.jpg

img3181cy.jpg

img3198d.jpg

Replaced the broken gbox from G1

img1774pl.jpg

Scott Mitchell made me a video

http://vimeo.com/33203588

Bought a R154 to build up

img3390x.jpg

Camber arms from the USA

dscn1478k.jpg

New coilpacks

img3412cs.jpg

img3428r.jpg

img3427ly.jpg

img3432rz.jpg

img1935xk.jpg

Edited by RxDrift

Recent Motorkhana event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVctlOzZ0cM

Few videos from Stadium Drift Rd. 1 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTz-mL5Z_SU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAKmejy8KhY

New Davies Craig fan and shroud

img1940dp.jpg

Polished light covers and painted inserts black

img3446yp.jpg

Turbo beanie

img3457a.jpg

Intake ducting

img3461vq.jpg

Hillclimb event (No. 408)

img1973k.jpg

Video from the Winter Cup Rd. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2IF3fbwcp8

Rewired windows and preparing for LEDs

img3466u.jpg

I'm now in the process of changing the engine mounts

img3464ob.jpg

Thanks for reading!!!

awesome car dude smile.png

for aaaages iv wanted a gz20 ever since i saw a picture of like a matt black one from the states ages ago.. it had awesome meshies and mass dish, and i was like 16 and thought it was tits..

nice work on the 1j bro, did you do the conversion yourself or did you buy it like that?? some nice results there as well, looks like you can steer it pretty well.. wink.png

Thanks mate!

I bought it with the 1JZ and Microtech. I've upgraded everything else.

ah sweet as man.. yeah gz's are awesome cars, even better when its got jz power backing it ;) keep up the good driving mate :D

I would have to say, this car is currently the best drift setup z20 in Australia.

Very envious of you Dean!

At your private day at tailem when you were running about 8psi of boost and I went for a few laps, learnt SO much from you!

One of the best sounding cars as well, love it!

Love this bus!

Thanks guys!

Update:

Noticed some "more" oil leaks since I painted the cam covers so I decided to pull them off and change the seals.

Noticed this -

img3468w.jpg

Got a replacement thanks to JMS and quickly painted it up -

img3472uq.jpg

I replaced my engine mounts with some custom ones. I was told about this product called Wearlon so I thought i'd give it a try, a work friend made them for me. Basically solid mounted.

Top - Old mounts

Middle - New mounts

Bottom - Block of Wearlon

img3471md.jpg

I also decided to have a bit of fun at Drift Supercup being a night event. Took ages to wire up, but was cheap. I bought a 5m roll of remote controlled LED (red, green and blue) strip lights from eBay and cut/resoldered it into 4 sections (front, back, left, right).

img1984m.jpg

Here I am testing all 4 sections out to make sure there are no shorts in the circuit.

img1987co.jpg

Here's a video of them on the car......

love seeing this in action.

good buuld mate and good driving.

will keep an eye on this build.

flashing headlight strobes too? haha

how is finding parts to get more lock?? heard they are quite hard to get much local out of?

I was looking into that as well! Heaps of cool stuff on eBay coming from Hong Kong. haha

how is finding parts to get more lock?? heard they are quite hard to get much local out of?

It's really hard! There are no suppliers in Australia for aftermarket arms, and all I can get from overseas are upper camber arms (which I have) and some rear arms.

I currently have a couple of washers on my steering rack for lock, and I might look into getting some knuckles made.

Drift Supercup Wrap Up

This weekend I competed in the Pro class at Drift Supercup held at Mallala Raceway. The event was shaping up to be a serious one with a bunch of drivers travelling from interstate to compete. The Soarer was all set to go with its flashy LEDs, new engine mounts and a pile of tyres to fry.

Practice:

I headed out for practice and set my boost controller up (again) on the way out gaining a bit more turbo response and a stable 16psi up to 7500rpm. The car felt great and the new solid engine mounts certainly helped response and stability. Practice went mostly well except the circuit breaker to the car's main power kept tripping during every run leaving only the microtech still working. I was able to get through one run at a time before needing to reset it.

Qualifying:

After waiting around for quite a while for the Street entrants to finish qualifying, it was our turn. I was fairly nervous and felt a bit out of my depth with so many great drivers competing. I decided to lay down a solid run first up to make sure I had at least SOME points in the bag. Everything went as planned so I prepared to push it a bit harder for the 2nd run and better my score.

The run was clean once again and I hit every clipping point, which was my main aim for the run. On the exit of turn 8 I even slightly nudged a tyre barrier without noticing.

577844_306775066072120_100002188865826_732946_62500580_n.jpg

The results were in and I was stoked! I had qualified 6th and was excited about starting the top 32 battles.

img1996zd.jpg

Battles:

After another long wait I warmed the car up and prepared for battle. I was pumped and still very nervous as i came up against VIC driver Leigh Pidwell in the top 32. Leigh has extensive experience on most of Australia's tracks and also in Japan. We lined up and I was leading first up. The nice start line lady gave us the go ahead, I revved the car, dropped the clutch and ..... bang! One wheel started spinning and I had broken something in the rear end. I waved Leigh through and limped back to the garage before packing up and heading home. I was devastated and pissed off but there was nothing I could do.

Here's my only in-car video from the day, the broken diff run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvMPkyiBeg

Broken welds in the diff.

img2001x.jpg

I'm now fixing things up ready to do it all again at Stadium Drift Tailem Bend next weekend!

Edited by RxDrift

aw geeesss.

I didn't even realised this happened.

I rocked up at 3pm and thought you didn't enter.

That sucks looked like you were going pretty well too.

Woulda been mad to see the lights at night

Bad luck yesterday mate you were looking good out on track. Hope you get it sorted for tailem so we can do some runs

That sucks dean however that photo of you clipping the tyres is awesome :D Time to fork out for a proper diff I reckon :P

aw geeesss.

I didn't even realised this happened.

I rocked up at 3pm and thought you didn't enter.

That sucks looked like you were going pretty well too.

Woulda been mad to see the lights at night

I was looking forward to it too! The only reason I put the lights on was for this event. There might be one other night event this year, i'll try to debut them then!

Bad luck yesterday mate you were looking good out on track. Hope you get it sorted for tailem so we can do some runs

For sure! It's getting welded up again in the next couple of days. I haven't entered yet but am pretty confident i'll be there. Keen to have some close runs with you again :thumbsup:

That sucks dean however that photo of you clipping the tyres is awesome biggrin.png Time to fork out for a proper diff I reckon tongue.png

I think one of the media guys got a video of both my qualifying runs, i'll put it up when i get it and see how hard I actually hit the tyres! There's only a light scuff on my rear quarter.

Just wondering, what rear hosing do you have on the turbo?

.63 rear on a gt35. I've tried both the 1.06 and .82 but I don't need that kind of flow because I'm not chasing huge power.

If I could do it again I'd get a gt30.

I was looking into that as well! Heaps of cool stuff on eBay coming from Hong Kong. haha

It's really hard! There are no suppliers in Australia for aftermarket arms, and all I can get from overseas are upper camber arms (which I have) and some rear arms.

I currently have a couple of washers on my steering rack for lock, and I might look into getting some knuckles made.

JDI Fabrications do knuckles for z20 soarers if you're interested.

And sucks about the diff, I was looking forward to the battle as you had been driving well all day.

JDI Fabrications do knuckles for z20 soarers if you're interested.

I had recently heard about them. Might give it a go! Cheers.

A fellow Soarer owner got this video from what looks like my qualifying lap.

https://vimeo.com/42440003

Edited by RxDrift

STADIUM DRIFT

REPCO SA PRO DRIFT SERIES - ROUND 2

DEAN NEWCOMB - TOYOTA SOARER GZ20

img3488h.jpg

Another weekend and another drift competition in South Australia. This time we all headed down to the Tailem Bend Motorsport Park for Round 2 of the Repco SA Pro Drift Series. Cold and wet in the morning but beautiful and sunny when the action on track started up. Stewy Bryant and Simon Michelmore were the judges for the day and they had specific criteria for what they were looking for from us, the gist being "balls out" entries and super close proximity!

Practice and Heats:

The warm up sessions went pretty well and the car was holding together enough to lay down a couple of solid laps. I was still having a few issues with the diff (leaking) and the main circuit breaker tripping every lap. After a few solo runs I decided to work on proximity so I followed Hayden's VE Ute fairly closely without making him too uncomfortable. I was happy with my proximity but my spotter/tyre changer told me there was a lot of room for improvement.

Closer proximity was the aim of the game during the heats with my first battle against Evan Commane. We bumped wheels a few times during the first turn and I copped a face full of dirt through the bowl:

After the heats/qualifying I had qualified for the top 8 ending up in 4th position.

Top 8 battles:

In the top 8 I was against Jarrod Ridgway in The Truck Factory Sil80 who was on fire all day blazing the bowl with heaps of speed. My chase lap was fairly clean and I tried to stay as close as possible:

The leading lap was a bit different. I tried to go in deep but accidentally dropped a wheel or two on the dirt. Jarrod past me on the inside and I attempted to either regain the lead or stay as close as I could. I got the nose of my car right up near his rear wheel and it knocked my indicator and corner light out. Easy fix. The judges awarded me the narrow victory because of my chase lap and I was through to the top 4!

continued below....

Edited by RxDrift