Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Holden SS ute

Search yeilded nothing so I thought I'd ask.

I'm thinking about getting one of these in a manual.

What are these like performance wise compared to (say) an s15? What models would you be going for and why? I know at some point the 5.7 phases out and they're all 6L, what year is that?

I'd lean towards the XR6 turbo if they weren't 30k but I don't wanna spend much, I might consider finance.

Thanks, why the VE? I'm gonna try a 2004 this weekend. I understand they're pretty reliable, true?

Ive got a few mates with ve ss, so its the 6.0l.

Most have head work done, like cams, springs ect, exhaust system, otrcai ect.

they go bloody well.

Couple of them run coilovers all round as well.

Its pretty amazing how well they drive, but in saying thats its still alot different to a silvia.

Personally, id be heading towards the ve 6.0l instead of the vz (i think) 5.7l

Its a step up in all forms of car and motor but then their the extra money.

I own a ve sidi sv6 atm, nothing like a ss in terms of power but they still handle alright.

04 Would be VY II most likely spazzo, meaning 5.7 instead of the 6.0L VZ.

I would strongly suggest going a VE model, pick up an early 07-08 ve SS for between $20,000 and $24,000 for something with around 85,000km on the clock.

If you want to go the SS-V model, that picks up 19" rims, full leather, prem sound, dual zone climate and rear park sensors in some cases.

The VE is Significantly stronger and stiffer in the chassis and over all a well more balanced feeling car.

Picking one up in a few hours time. I test drove f**king everything and ended up going VE ss. Turbo ford is rad but seem to be way more problematic than anything else. I was so close to buying a 310rwkw f6 but decided it'd be a bad idea as they are pretty prone to breaking shit. Drove a few 6ltr VZ's includuing the maloos, maloo is good, myo6 ssz isn't anything amazing and the old shape just feel like shit to drive. If you've got the cash then you'll want to VE, it kinda looks like it'll fall apart nut I guess only time will tell.

A good mate of mine has a VE SSV 08 ute which he drives daily. He's got a bit done to it (full exhaust, OTR cai, big cam and valve springs, diff gears, good tune and some coilies), and it goes well. I've got step 1 cams in my s15 along with a disco and all the other crap, and he is slightly quicker..especially up top (which you'd expect being a v8). The 5.7L phases out in some of the vz's (vz range starts at 05 through to 07/8 i think), as some of them have the 6L. Having said that, the 6L in the vz is slightly different again to the 6L in the VE range (different heads i think). Depends what you want to use it for..nice streeter with a bit of power, leave it stock, or go all out and supercharge/turbo it etc. I can't say i know what they drive like as he's too pedantic about who drives it...whether your a good mate or not haha

Edited by SL33PR

recently sold my 2010 vessv manual ute.

was a great car.

just not that fast but comfy enough speed to keep you entertained and they respond well to mods.

Sound good when your driving them every other aspect they suck :P no commy will feel as quick and nimble as a silvia. They aren't sports cars.

Hardly anything goes wrong withthe 6.0ltrs, apart from sumps leaking and harmonic balancer issues but apart from that.

We have alot more issues withthe v6's... My mates got a ssv ute with pedders coilovers, cam ect, made 380kw or something on e85, goes good, handles great but it's deff not a Silvia

Thanks! No one's said it but they're shit on fuel I'm sure.

I will see how I go this weekend with the vz. I don't usually like big cars much but I was hoping the ute would have a lightness to it, and I really enjoy some cars for their character, even some slow, crap ones. Anyway, we'll see :)

My mate with his camed 6l ute still gets 800kms to tank freeway

So that's something to think about

Definately go the VE. They're lightyears ahead in refinement. The fuel economy isn't as bad as you'd think. A mate of mine is getting better economy than Holden claims for them. His is a complete stocker. With the ECU re-flashed, the performance and fuel economy improves significantly.

are you selling the S15 ?

I have often wondered about an ss ute my self.

a mate has an ve ss sedan, good all round car sounds tough.

stock for stock would beat a silvia........ however stock 95 ss vs my stock s14 different story I feel

VE Ss just picked up then!! Drive it back from bendigo and it's great for a tour, comfy, but pretty numb to drive even though mine has coilovers. Plenty of power but(tune, otr, full exhaust, 275rwkw) and seems to be good on fuel long distance. For a 2 hour freeway drive it use sfa fuel.

..... Question: anyone know where the entre button is? Haven't really searched as I picked it up I the dark and drive it straigh back to the city as it a school night and I'm old and responsible. I want to reset the trip comp and what not but t tells me to select and press entre and f**ked if I couldfind entre lol.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it so far for the 3 hours I've owned it. Kinda wish I'd got an ssv, I hate leather but the reverse camera would be nice as so far I'm f**ked if I know where the back of it is... Fingers crossed daylight and time will fix that though.

Press the thumbwheel inwards on the steering wheel.

Cheers! And only the redline ssv has brembos. Those f**ker are pretty exy though. I can't really see them being wort the extra coin to be honest.

Ok so 1 last question.... Well probably not but does the early Ss have an outside temp read out? Doesn't seem to from what I could find.

My mates series 1 SS ute doesn't have an external reading. My series 2 SS-V Redline does.

Ironically we both wish we never bought them!

I have issues with my GPS, IQ system, wheel bearings, noisy lifters, fuel pump, speed sensor and a few other odds and ends that were sorted out under warranty.

Stock they drive like crap. The electronic torque control takes away 99% of the fun a 6 speed 6 litre V8 should have.

Ugh... I hate this car so much.

Redline scores the FE3 suspension (Clubsport spec) and Brembo's.

but they are only a Series II affair and are still exy as. Someone has already pointed this out though.

Sorry to hear your not having a good time with yours afraid.

Sorry to hear. I've always heard they're very reliable so it's weird to think both you and your friend have issues.

Can you turn all stability + traction systems completely OFF?

Yes, but they understeer like pigs an randomly switch the traction back on.

Not that it matters, the torque limiter stays on and bogs you down, and the clutches are so weak they burn if you give them enough stick to overpower the torque limiter.

They're horribly unreliable if you drive them remotely hard. Had plenty go through warranty for bent rods and busted lifters.

Clutch fluid boils in about 5 seconds (no exaggeration) if you do a skid and you lose every gear but 5th and 6th for around 2 hours.

On the up side they have enough torque to take off in 5th and drive 150km home.

To be objective, by all means buy one, but don't leave it stock.

I can only post once more today, if you want to know more about living with one of these things, PM me.

Edit: also I get 13l/100km.

I had a series 1 VZ SS ute

LS1 with headers, centre mufflers removed, mafless tune

Chewed fuel so bad, 23L/100km driving around town not thrashing it. Had the tune/mixtues checked on multiple dynos, all they could ever tell me is that mafless tunes sometimes do that.

Other than the fuel usage it was a nice car, definitely can't be compared to an S15 though. Handling is nowhere close to IRS Nissans.

I would own another one though

my uncles cousins mums dads bestfriend also has a 6.0L VE :hammer:

but nah girls love utes :shades:

Ok so 1 last question.... Well probably not but does the early Ss have an outside temp read out? Doesn't seem to from what I could find.

external temp is only available on the ssv in the series 1 through the screen

Drove a ve ssv today. I love the V8 and the handling is okay but I was happy to get back into the sil. Small cars are just better.