Sign in to follow this  
Black Widow

Lose beer gut/keep tone

Is this possible?

I know that gaining muscle and losing fat are 2 completely different processes, and aren't possible to do at the same time..

basically, i'm a smaller dude, 5'10", 78kg, my body (arms/back/shoulders/legs) aren't big, but there is a bit of tone there, but i have a bit of a beer belly.

It really bothers me.

At the moment my diet is decently lean, consists of:

Breakfast: Oats

Morning Tea: Shake + fruit

Lunch: Chicken & Veg

Afternoon Tea: Shake + piece of fruit

After- workout shake

Dinner: Meat + Veg

Now, 2 days a week, rather than my protein shake, i have 2 Body Effects (essentially Fat Blasters), one before breakfast, then another 1hr before lunch.

My current gym routine is:

3 days: Weights

2 cardio (normally combined on the days i have the Body Effects

Will it be possible, with the current routine, to keep my current tone, while losing my stomach. I'm expecting to lose a little bit from my chest, but surely if i keep up the big weights, i shouldn't lose too much mass, right?

Edited by Black Widow

Is this possible?

I know that gaining muscle and losing fat are 2 completely different processes, and aren't possible to do at the same time..

basically, i'm a smaller dude, 5'10", 78kg, my body (arms/back/shoulders/legs) aren't big, but there is a bit of tone there, but i have a bit of a beer belly.

It really bothers me.

At the moment my diet is decently lean, consists of:

Breakfast: Oats

Morning Tea: Shake + fruit

Lunch: Chicken & Veg

Afternoon Tea: Shake + piece of fruit

After- workout shake

Dinner: Meat + Veg

Now, 2 days a week, rather than my protein shake, i have 2 Body Effects (essentially Fat Blasters), one before breakfast, then another 1hr before lunch.

My current gym routine is:

3 days: Weights

2 cardio (normally combined on the days i have the Body Effects

Will it be possible, with the current routine, to keep my current tone, while losing my stomach. I'm expecting to lose a little bit from my chest, but surely if i keep up the big weights, i shouldn't lose too much mass, right?

You can lose fat, get stronger and build muscle all at the same time. You just have to be super strict in your diet. And with your current diet and taining, no it won't be possible.

What is your exact program?

Chest Press - 5x10

Squats - 3x10

Deadlifts - 3x10

Widegrip Chins - 5 to failure

Dips - 5 to failure

Cardio?

In order to lose fat and build muscle (a slow process), your diet needs to be perfect, no cheats, no liquid apart from water etc. etc.

What was your diet yesterday, exactly, all food/liquid/supplements.

Sorry - cardio varies - will either do a crossfit program, so something like:

Row - 200m

Box Jumps - 21/15/9

Kettlebell swings - 21/15/9

I'll be honest diet yesterday wasn't great:

(skipped breakfast because i woke up so late)

Pre-Workout shake

1hr Weight Sesh (as listed in above post)

Protein Shake

2x Salmon Salad Rolls (unfortunately were white rolls - probably should've only had one in that case)

Protein Shake in the afternoon (5pm)

Drank about 3L of Water

Sorry - cardio varies - will either do a crossfit program, so something like:

Row - 200m

Box Jumps - 21/15/9

Kettlebell swings - 21/15/9

I'll be honest diet yesterday wasn't great:

(skipped breakfast because i woke up so late)

Pre-Workout shake

1hr Weight Sesh (as listed in above post)

Protein Shake

2x Salmon Salad Rolls (unfortunately were white rolls - probably should've only had one in that case)

Protein Shake in the afternoon (5pm)

Drank about 3L of Water

Can you commit to eating 35 meals a week, the same, every time for up to 3 months?

I would give it 100% yes! I need to reach my goals. If i can't, how am i meant to expect future clients to? (Studying to be a PT next year)

Thanks man. It's gonna be tough - but for once in my life I have to stick to something - especially diet!

It's not a diet if you're just writing down what you eat and it's always changing.

A diet is a meal plan. You either stick to this or you don't.

I can guarentee that if you are strict for at least one year with a GOOD diet and a half decent workout routine, you will look and feel like a whole new person.

As I've said before, results don't come over night. You can laze about and be slack and not really get anywhere because it will all seem too hard. Or you can knuckle down and kick yourself in the arse, come back in a year, and think "holy f**k.. I can't believe the results"

Edited by Shark

Would switching from drinking beer to drinking something like vodka and orange make any difference? Or is all alcohol the same?

Chidge - from what i've heard (could be myth) - but if you are going to drink, Vodka, and Cranberry juice is the way to go...

Shark - 95% of the time, the food i put in my mouth (will steer away from calling it a diet) - is clean. Of late, i have started taking food more seriously, and have found that even when i do have a "cheat" meal - i feel sick, horrible, and can only eat half of whatever it is.

I don't want to be insanely shredded and ripped (would be nice), but i'm fairly certain that i don't have the dedication and determination to stick to a "same food, different day" diet - I need variety.

I like to eat healthy, but i can't have 5-6 meals of the same thing. I need pork, lamb etc. I need to have different things to eat or i go stupid

My mate lost about 14 kilos in a month, tread mill about 3 times a week, obviously super strict with his diet, cut out sugar (apart from natural ones fruit etc) and cut out carbs, so I think he'd have fruit n nuts at work and veggies etc for tea, no alcohol! (something like that anyways!)

bacardi, lime and diet coke is only 68, iv switched to it from beer i hope it helps me out, we will see i guess.

scotch and soda is my favourite

vodka cranberry is my second

my gf always gives me shit about asking for a girls drink

she like ew yeast infection lol

Find your BMR, eat 500kcal less then this and on training days eat the BMR amount.

Workout your macro nutrients,

Protien 2.4g/kg bodyweight

fat 20% of total

Carbs rest of calories

Fat has 9kcal/ gram

Protien, carbs has 4

Alcohol has 7

Stop drinking or dont eat any at around drinking time as alcohol stops fat oxidation.

if you have an iphone or an adroid dload my fitness pal.. Set up your macronutrient ratios and claories dont use the ones they give you.

Meet your daily nutrient and claoric goals eating whatever you want when you want train and do some cardio.