Sign in to follow this  
s_13

Jaycar Speedo Corrector MKII

I swapped to a Z32 box and bought made and installed the speedo corrector kit. Cant get it working properly after following all the instructions. It will run the speedo with link 3 installed but when adjusted it will not correct even at 90% always reads the same. WtF AM I DOING WRONG??!? Anyone know haw to get it working right?

Should just buy a dakota digital speedo converter. More expensive but I HIGHLY rate them over the jaycar units.

OK so i have fixed my speedo reading. I ended up ditching the jaycar speedo corrector because it just never worked. I pulled out the speedo unit from the dash and done a bit of research. Ended up finding some useful info over at freshalloy by a member Knate to point me in the right direction.

P1040945.JPG

Turns out there is a potentiometer to adjust the reading. When my speedo was reading 88km/h i was actually doing 58km/h. with the pot turned all the way down it was still at 68km/h so i needed to drop the resistance further. I did this by soldering a 30k-ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 30k-ohm resistor under the pot. The new resistor was soldered to the back of the board.

P1040946.JPG

This allowed me to get 58km/h in the middle of the adjustment range... problem solved. If your speedo is only say 10km/h out due to diff or different tyres it can be adjusted by turning the pot, no need to solder anything.

I used an old sender, drill and a car battery to test the speedo. Just connect +12v to IGN, ground the sender (usually black wire) and speedo GND to the negative battery terminal and connect the signal wire of the sender to the SIG on the speedo.

Good job, that's awesome. I wonder if other Nissan cars have the ability to be adjusted. I have a U12 Pintara which I know is out by about 10km/h or so

There's a thread on zilvia explaining how to, there's a line of resistors you either make or break connections to do +/- 3/5/10/15% or something like that. Pretty sneaky.

^ thats correct. I know s14 is like that. I believe most of the s13s are corrected the same way i did mine

Nice find been without a speedo for years now, how did you calibrate to know it was reading true, dyno?

Jacked the rear up, ran it in 4th at 3000rpm using nistune to read rpm. you could use ecutalk with a consult cable or something similar. I worked out the wheel speed using the diff and gear ratio and the tyre size (worked out 82km/h at 3000rpm in 4th) then adjusted the trimpot to get it at the correct speed.

I also found my tacho was reading 3200 when nistune read 3000rpm and pulled it out and found a trimpot to set it correct aswell. Now both speedo and tacho are 100% correct.

just go a and do a 5km speedo check.. that will tell you how much you are out..

Will do when i swap the decat over and put in baffles again. Another way is to check against GPS

Hey guys,

I am trying to install one of these jaycar kits. Tried all the different settings suggested on the instructions, though not getting the Led to flash at all. I suspect i have tapped into the wrong wire. Basically i wired the speedo corrector in series with the wire feeding the speedo head. I cut the red wire with the yellow trace which looking at the s14 maual, seems like the one?

I must be wrong as i now have lost my dash lights. Does anyone know which wire at the speedohead is correct for an s14 please?