Sign in to follow this  
primus

GUIDE: How To Replace Pollen Filter (S15)

HOW TO: Replace Pollen Filter (S15)

All my imports have smelled a bit off but the S15 I just bought was by far the worst! So in an attempt to get rid of the smell I replaced the pollen filter and thought I’d throw some pics up to help anyone else in the future.

Duration: 20 minutes

Difficulty: Low

Tools/Parts: Phillips Head Screwdriver, Torch & New Pollen Filter (Part #: 27277-86F26).

1. Slide passenger seat back fully to give you maximum room.

2. Remove everything from the glove box.

3. Feel around the back of the glove box to find two plastic hinge/clips at bottom left and right.

IMAG0002.jpg

4. Twist and pull the two hinge/clips out. (Support the glove box with your hand as it’s only held in by the two plastic hinges).

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

5. Remove the five screws holding the backing plate on (Front 2 & Top 3).

IMAG0005.jpg Front 2

Sorry about the dodgy phone pic but you get the idea.

IMAG0006.jpg Top 3

6. Before you remove the backing plate, pop the glove box light out and tuck it out of the way.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg Top 3 screws again with the plate out.

7. Unplug the foam covered wire.

IMAG0009.jpg

8. Remove the clip at the base of the filter cover.

IMAG0010.jpg

9. Remove the filter cover and pull the tab on the old pollen filter to remove it.

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0015.jpgNew vs Old Filter

10. Insert new pollen filter (Don’t force it – it takes a bit of mucking around to get it lined up)

11. Write on the pollen filter sticker that came with the new one and stick inside the glove box.

IMAG0016.jpg

12. Reverse steps above to reassemble.

(Note: It says to replace the pollen filter every 20,000km or 12 months)

Did it make a difference? Yes! My aircon doesn’t smell like mildew and cigs anymore.

I don’t think many vehicles in general would ever get the pollen filter replaced after they come out of their warranty period. However, if your pollen filter doesn’t look too bad you could probably wash it and chuck it back in, but mine was fingered and for $55 I can’t see why you wouldn’t replace it.

Edited by Mandi
  • Upvote 1

Awesome work :)

I will put this in the tech articles section aswell if your happy to have it in their too.

Never even knew they had a pollen filter. Derp.

Old filter was fcked!

Nice job mate. Good DIY with pics. I'll get onto replacing mine soon after seeing how chat that one was.

Awesome work smile.png

I will put this in the tech articles section aswell if your happy to have it in their too.

Never even knew they had a pollen filter. Derp.

Old filter was fcked!

Yeah that's fine :thumb:

Will be interesting to see how sad the new filter looks after 12 months.

PS when I had to replace this. I ordered it via Keilor Road Nissan (Essendon).

I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO EVER ORDER IT IN.

Yuck people, you all replace you oil every 5kms but you don't give a toss about your own health.

Edited by Suspop

OMG

i was writing up a guide on this ..................

its horrible my filter as well..

freaking disgusting

i found my air con blowing very nicely now!

Looks to me like you took this from the age old how-to and gave no credit

http://www.jull.net/...itioning-filter

Wrong - but i wish i did, then i wouldn't have had to take photos.

Found this... http://www.blitzpowe...a_c-filter.html

For $50us and it's washable.

Oh nice! The Nissan ones are meant to be washable too, just gotta make sure they don't get outta hand I guess.

Edited by primus

Nah, it's not compatible.

What's the part number for a Nissan filter for S13? Or is it the same as the S15 one?

Nah, it's not compatible.

What's the part number for a Nissan filter for S13? Or is it the same as the S15 one?

Sorry mate can't help ya with the S13 part number.

Maybe pull it out (assume it would be roughly the same as the above method) and see if they're the same?

Just though I'd add up a little extra on this... I did this to my ADM 15 this morning and everything was as described, apart from there was a large piece of plastic in the way! Now I'm not sure if this is only found on ADM models but at the back of the glove box where the plastic hinges join (step 1 is removing them) there is a plastic strip about 2cm wide that joins all the way across. See the diagram below.

pollen.jpg

Green arrows show the plastic hinges, and the pink strip is where the plastic strip goes along.

Now the one issue this causes is that it makes taking the pollen filter out difficult. To avoid taking half your lower dash out you need to firmly press this plastic strip down and pull towards you. It is quite flexible (not brittle) and does bend. Just pull it far enough out the way so you can remove the pollen filter/put it back in.

Anyway hope this helps. Just didn't want anyone removing half their dash for no reason :)

Jesse.

To re-clarify I ducked out and took a photo...

407f071bdd.jpg

The green circle is where the pollen filter goes, as you can see it does foul on the plastic bar.

Edited by Torquen

Thanks for pointing that out! I was going to order one through Northside Nissan later this week for my adm, so good timing.

How much did you pay for your filter?

Ahh I bought it a few months ago (only just got around to doing this now!) but paid around $50 for it.

Sorry to re-animate an old thread.

Today I pulled my pollen filter and washed it, using this thread as an instruction. However what is referred to as the "glove box light" as actually a connector for the passenger side airbag. A general tip is that any wiring that is yellow is airbag related. So don't dick around with it while changing the pollen filter.

As to the results of washing, much better than it was before but you can't get them white like a new one. However did solve the stink coming from the A/C.

Sign in to follow this