Sign in to follow this  
BillyTheCat

Retarded Odometer?

Hey ladies and jellybean.

So basically i have a 1997 type X and just last week i had 108xxxkm(had the car for a year now and nothing was ever wrong with it.)

Being me i left my map light on and the car was drained by the next morning, after i got it recharged the odometer is showing 397235km

WTFNESS? hahahah my odometer is playing up on me...

This is the first time that it ever happened (as i have drained my car battery multiply times but it return back to its original KM and not a rubbish number like this)

Has this happen to anybody else? or my car is being stupid on me? and do what do i do to fix it!?!?

Edited by BillyTheCat

A lot of imports get wound back.. maybe its displaying the true km's :¦

Edited by darkone

what an annoying problem to deal with! the odometer is digital right? Hard to believe your car has travelled 397k but I wonder if it would be related to tampering with the clock

A lot of imports get wound back.. maybe its displaying the true km's :¦

Agreed.

do us a favour and take a pics of what the interior looks like, like the seats, steering wheel, pedals etc

Edited by Suspop

if its digital most likely rolled back previously,

do us a favour and take a pics of what the interior looks like, like the seats, steering wheel, pedals etc

+1 for pictures if you still have the original steering wheel and pedals etc.. they will all show signs of use i.e wear on the steering wheel leather especially around the top and thats a easy way to tell if the clocks been wound back or not

i will upload some pictures tomorrow.

Interior wise, i changed my stock type x seats to s15. but the door trim, rear seats and glove box n etc are still stock. As for the steering wheel is a momo one (yes type x comes with airbag and hence my airbag light is on becuz of the change.)

Iike the previous silvias i had, i always doubt that the km's shown are genuine but this change here was something out of the ordinary. Especially with Type x cluster its digital so its hard for me to imagine how they would wound it bak :lol: dam japs hahaha

and close 397xxxkm is quite a lot. didnt think n e car would survive such a long journey!

you cant say a motor wont last 400 xxx km's, i have seen a ef falcon 6cyl motor pass 1 million km's..!!!!

there right, the best way to tell, is by the interior, how the seats are worn, esp the drivers rh side where you slide in the seat, and the floor carpet, most of the time gear nobs and steering wheels are changed anyway.

Im moreso amazed the Cluster is maybe storing the old information, Like not even a Brand new vehicle stores that kind of information.. When people wipe and enter in new Km's those are the Km's the car has and that's it.. There is no real "secret" area that holds the fake km's otherwise the whole point of re-winding Km's goes out the window if people know of a way to re-set the km's back to normal.

My thoughts are the cluster is faulty and not the car having re-wound km's, as electronically it doesnt make much sense for 2 sets of km's to be stored on the unit.

The mileage in the I2C EEPROM is updated at something like once a second, if I remember right. It's possible that the write procedure got corrupted as your battery went down so it's messed up the value.

It's just a load of hex in the EEPROM (FF's and stuff), so rather than attempting to go through and change bytes, I'd put the chip in an EEPROM programmer and copy across the data from a car with a mileage close to what it was before it broke.

Sorry that's probably not the easiest sounding repair option.

How would you even wind back the kms on a digital odometer?

Most people would just change over the whole cluster.

you dont wind it back you reprogram it.. however if it is failing it is best to do the cluster..

ahhaah hey guys my odometer is bak to its 108xxxkm

whats more weird was it changes from 108xxx to 397xxx everything here and there and i cant really explain the reason =\

but its getting better as it actually stand on 108xxx now. But the problem now is the odometer kinda phase out to a point i cant read the odometer anymore but the screen is still lit. i assume there is a wiring problem to the cluster?

any idea guys and this may be the reason to the change on km or assumed *original car km* ahhaha

Sounds like it's knackered.

The odometer is part of the speedometer PCB, so I don't see if any connection is going to change or fade the digits other than dry joints on the circuit board, if you're lucky.