Sign in to follow this  
Sweenz

Welding Question

Anyone know of any welding courses or similar that can be done in NSW. Im not interested in making a career out of it. I just want to know how to do it so I can do more DIY projects. I realise there are a variety of welding methods but im really just interested in learning the basics. TAFE NSW doesnt seem to have anything nor does google search. Any tips or ideas? Failing that is it easy enough to learn with a bit of practice and some youtube videos.

To be honest I dont know shit about any of the different methods. I guess whatever one has the most applications... Particularly to automotive fabrication.

Look through the fabrication section of this site. read a much as you can (google) and watch youtube (serious). Noone can tell you how to do it go buy a mig and start joining metal.

Edited by R32GTRS

To be honest I dont know shit about any of the different methods. I guess whatever one has the most applications... Particularly to automotive fabrication.

Start with ARC. The welders are cheap to buy, and always useful for really heavy-duty applications like 3mm+ steel. I use either depending on the application.

Buy an auto-dimming mask to save your sanity. 100% worth the coin.

Then get a mig and practice on steel of different thickness, then get a TIG if you're really into it.

Do a lot of reading before buying a mig, since thye cost some coin, and the wrong one will piss you off.

This is a good start: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Edited by pmod

i was just the same as you a bit more than a year ago. i liked tigging a lot so i bought a tig welder. you really need to get hands on before you look at buying any type of welder i reckon. so beg, plead or ask anybody you know to give you some hands on time and a quick tutorial.

Yeah thats true, i did a bit of arc years ago with my old man then decided to get a mig, which is good depending on application but now ive got a tig and thats where its at, love it.

rather than learn to do dirty gorilla welds, learn tig straight off and everything will be easier after that. jump in the deep end and reap the benefits.

So a ARC welder is appropriate in most automotive applications/cheap to buy/easy enough to learn yourself?

Tig welding is the most appropriate for car shit , stick weldings good for welding up a rusted assed old bit of steel , if you want nice clean , smaller welds tig is the go . Most dc machines with do both tig and stick but you need the handpiece for tig which will cost you a bit more . Have you looked into a trade school ? Pretty sure in queensland there is a pre-voc course you can do to learn the basics . Also check out weldingtipsandtricks.com , good website yo .

So a ARC welder is appropriate in most automotive applications/cheap to buy/easy enough to learn yourself?

its the shittest form of welding

In short, for the people who have no idea:

Arc/Stick welding is just a piece of metal rod covered in a crust (to compensate for no gas) like a sparkler and is very messy, very bulky and just plain shit.

MIG welding is a wire that is fed by a motor and some gas (the gas protects the pure weld from contaminants), which is good for building a trailer or some random brackets.

Tig is like a soldering iron (with gas to protect the weld) where you make a hot puddle and then feed thin rods of metal into it to form a nice tight stitch. It can be used for a lot of things and will be as neat as you can be. Think of a tig as a surgeon and a mig as a mechanic. the arc is just a wannabe.

Edited by negativecamber

its the shittest form of welding

Arc has alot of advantages its cheap, strong welds, dont need gas and very reliable however you can't do much under 3mm so its not good for most car stuff..... MIG is really fast and pretty simple to use but i find the welds to be ugly... Oxy/acetelye is pretty outdated now days but I have done a fair bit of exhaust/intercooler piping with it and comes up pretty good, way better that a MIG anyway.

I learnt to use the O/A setup cause it was almost free but I wish I used the time to learn TIG instead...

Edited by battery

^^ pretty sure if you can oxyacet weld you would pick up tig pretty easy .. Very similar .

to cover auto work, you will need both tig and mig, may as well get a tig/mig/stick machine (not for the arc welding ability, because you will never use this).

you can do a lot with a mig, just need to learn good welding habbits just like you would with tig.

i'd get a mig to learn on. welds won't be as clean as tig, but you can get some good penetration and weld virtually anything (even aluminium)

G'day sweenz,

There are lots of coarses you can do at Tafe NSW. You said you just want to be able to do more DIY stuff. Which is great. In saying that, as a welder, i would advise against going and buying a welder straight up, and trying to teach yourself from youtube videos. Although there is some very useful info out there to be had for free. And although i don't doubt your ability to do it, it will just be a long and arduous journey, as you'll have millions of questions and limited answers.

I would have to recommend enrolling in a coarse that will teach you the basics in MIG, TIG and OXY and whatever else you want to do, as a start. That way you will get to do a bit of everything and see what your most interested in, and what applies best to what you want to be doing. Then you will have the knowledge to make the right descision on what type of welder to buy and what not. Then go buy a welder and trawl youtube and build off the skills you learnt at tafe. These types of coarses are usually very short, so don't worry about committing to something huge.

Now for the coarses. Obviously a coarse with some sort of automotive welding would be a good place to start. Here is a link to the Tafe NSW website. Click on "Coarses (22)" at the top of the list. Thats all the welding coarses avaliable.

https://www.tafensw....=&Submit=Search

Now, one that i think would be a good thing is this:

https://www.tafensw....o=28764&tpInd=Y

As you can see, it has MIG TIG and OXY, very short coarse, and you would learn enough to get started. And if you need a bit more time spent learning there are others similar, but more advanced.

Hope that helps!

Mitch

G'day sweenz,

There are lots of coarses you can do at Tafe NSW. You said you just want to be able to do more DIY stuff. Which is great. In saying that, as a welder, i would advise against going and buying a welder straight up, and trying to teach yourself from youtube videos. Although there is some very useful info out there to be had for free. And although i don't doubt your ability to do it, it will just be a long and arduous journey, as you'll have millions of questions and limited answers.

I would have to recommend enrolling in a coarse that will teach you the basics in MIG, TIG and OXY and whatever else you want to do, as a start. That way you will get to do a bit of everything and see what your most interested in, and what applies best to what you want to be doing. Then you will have the knowledge to make the right descision on what type of welder to buy and what not. Then go buy a welder and trawl youtube and build off the skills you learnt at tafe. These types of coarses are usually very short, so don't worry about committing to something huge.

Now for the coarses. Obviously a coarse with some sort of automotive welding would be a good place to start. Here is a link to the Tafe NSW website. Click on "Coarses (22)" at the top of the list. Thats all the welding coarses avaliable.

As you can see, it has MIG TIG and OXY, very short coarse, and you would learn enough to get started. And if you need a bit more time spent learning there are others similar, but more advanced.

Hope that helps!

Mitch

Woah thanks heaps mate. Damn if only every response was like that on NS.com. Yeah sweet looks like im off to TAFE. Cheers again mate.

I did an small welding course at the community college in jannali..

It was just one night a week for like 8 weeks.. All practical just using welders... Was helpful for me just to get an idea on it...

http://www.sgscc.edu.au/search/?keyword=Welding

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Phil

G'day sweenz,

Hope that helps!

Mitch

Woah thanks heaps mate. Damn if only every response was like that on NS.com. Yeah sweet looks like im off to TAFE. Cheers again mate.

Check out mitchs' fabrication thread ,fkn unreal :thumbsup:

f**k starting with an arc,thats old school,only rednecks and farmers use that.

go out and get yourself a cigweld 175i mig/tig/arc all in one.about $1000.get it setup on gas for mig welding and have a play,can weld up to 10mm plate with it.

mig is the best allrounder,from car fab to panal work.

learn them all. mig/tig/arc. all have good and bad points depending on the situation. couple of my mates weld and fit for a living and all prefer stick over mig for most situations. but they can use an arc welder pretty friggin good compared to most. i like mig cos im shit in comparison.

+ 1 for the cigweld 175i combo. great value.

G'day sweenz,

Hope that helps!

Mitch

I did these courses as I was in the same sitch as you... Already had a mig for like 2 years before... Finished off with GTAW(Tig) course which was 1 night a week for a year and after completing bought a ac/dc Tig to go with the mig. Best part is although I had got pretty used to my mig, after getting the technical in Tig, my mig welding improved ten fold. You can teach yourself or learn the tech, just depends on your final goal. I'm the the type to want to know pretty much everything as I do it.

Oh and the great thing with tafe is the level of learning is up to you. I had guys in my Tig course who only wanted to do mild steel, 8 weeks into it they were done and happy! Others went onto stainless then ally.

Do it! Tafe is perfect for you!

G'day sweenz,

Hope that helps!

Mitch

I did these courses as I was in the same sitch as you... Already had a mig for like 2 years before... Finished off with GTAW(Tig) course which was 1 night a week for a year and after completing bought a ac/dc Tig to go with the mig. Best part is although I had got pretty used to my mig, after getting the technical in Tig, my mig welding improved ten fold. You can teach yourself or learn the tech, just depends on your final goal. I'm the the type to want to know pretty much everything as I do it.

Oh and the great thing with tafe is the level of learning is up to you. I had guys in my Tig course who only wanted to do mild steel, 8 weeks into it they were done and happy! Others went onto stainless then ally.

Do it! Tafe is perfect for you!