Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

People on low carb/no carb diets

I've been reading the atkins book, getting through it slowly.

There are a few suggestions in there about what meals to eat but just wanted to see what people were eating, their own rules about portions, timing etc. Any success/fail stories. I'm especially interested to see how you cope with buying and eating fast food and still following the rules 'cos I buy most of my food.

I haven't completely cut carbs out yet but I've maintained my weight despite not going to the gym the past 3 weeks where I mostly focus on cardio/weight loss, could be a bit of muscle loss too but then I've been eating plenty of protein.

Dunno if I cbf going back to the gym anymore, I think I just wanna be skinny.

Correct eating is simple. Listen to your body (no homo)

Here's what I do - Eat when I'm hungry; not just because it's lunchtime or others around me are eating, but because I actually feel hungry.

- Avoid sh*tty foods; I think about the fact that every single bit of fat I consume has to travel through my heart via my bloodstream once processed. And the likely-hood of nasty crap like transfats and saturated fats sticking to my arteries are quite high. Me no like heart attack

- If I feel anything except good after a meal, it was a bad choice. After a feed of maccas I'll feel slugish, tired and generally a bit sick.

- For me, good cooking is a form of exercise; If it takes a while to prepare it's most likely a healthy option.

I plan out what I want (like drawing up a workout),

I make the time to do it (like setting aside 30min to an hour for doing a workout)

and I put in the effort to ensure it's right (the more you put into something, the more you'll get out of it)

- And finally, I NEVER eat to get that 'full' feeling...EVER. I eat to the point that I am satisfied the my hunger is gone. My body doesn't feel hungry and I'm not going in to hibernation for the winter so there's no need for me to keep eating.

Your body knows best, that's why you feel pain when stabbing yourself; the body is saying "hey man, stop doing that, we're running out of blood. And we need that."

So then you know to stop stabbing yourself because it's bad for you.

It's just the way I look at eating. I don't think good eating should be complicated. It can be, but it doesn'thave to be.

Hope some of that helps you a bit :)

*Just so you know who this info is coming from...I'm 183cm tall, 71kgs, 8% body fat, I have a moderately physical job and I don't workout.

Again, this really comes back to aim/goals.

Different diets for different people with different goals.

Ragoul raised some very good points. However I don't think the following should be used for every person.. again.. the goal here is very important.

And finally, I NEVER eat to get that 'full' feeling...EVER. I eat to the point that I am satisfied the my hunger is gone. My body doesn't feel hungry and I'm not going in to hibernation for the winter so there's no need for me to keep eating.

I want to put on size and become stronger. I want a certain physique to look good for my girl. Those are my goals.

I HAVE to eat to get that full feeling. Infact, I'm trying to eat beyond that. I'm an ectomorph, and naturally find it VERY difficult to put on weight.

If I don't keep eating like this at every meal, then my weight stays the same. It will not move unless I stuff my face.

In terms of low carb/no carb diets: I've never been on one, as I'm naturally skinny and find it very difficult to put on weight. (ectomorph)

When I am at the stage I want to be in terms of weight and strength, then I will go on a no-carb diet to help cut off fat purely for my physique. However, I don't know if I'll even need to do that yet.

Spazo: What's your reason for going on a diet like this?

Edited by Shark

I've been reading the atkins book, getting through it slowly.

There are a few suggestions in there about what meals to eat but just wanted to see what people were eating, their own rules about portions, timing etc. Any success/fail stories. I'm especially interested to see how you cope with buying and eating fast food and still following the rules 'cos I buy most of my food.

I haven't completely cut carbs out yet but I've maintained my weight despite not going to the gym the past 3 weeks where I mostly focus on cardio/weight loss, could be a bit of muscle loss too but then I've been eating plenty of protein.

Dunno if I cbf going back to the gym anymore, I think I just wanna be skinny.

If you aren't using the muscles you will lose them.

Atkins is an unsustainable quick fix that can be very bad for you if you don't tolerate high fat diets well.

I would stop reading atkins..

And focus on mother f**kin diet and exercise... As opposed to something that will make you feel like shit. Reduce body fat% 2 ways..

1. losing fat

or 2 gaining lbm...

I recently gained 5kg lbm taking 2% off my bf percentage.

as shark said GOALS are what need to be identified and worked towards specifically.

Low carb can work so can no carb granted you arnt terribly active daily and can tolerate spacey ness.. Weekly carbloads become a love hate relationship also.

Edited by DRIFTKID

Ragoul, that's a cool philosophy and I follow some of those rules but I don't think my metabolism is as good as yours. I had a pretty full on gym routine for 8 months and it wasn't until I changed my eating habits that I lost weight at a good rate, so I believe that diet is the bigger factor in weight loss for me.

Shark I already said I wanted to be skinny, wish I could be in your situation where I could eat whatever I want.

Cranium - Atkins isn't high fat, it just allows fats so that they may be an energy source in place of carbs.

Drift - I've trained plenty, 3+ gym sessions a week plus Tabata training 3x a week for a while, lost about 7kg in 8-9 months (with diet change at the tail end) which is great but I could have done it much faster with Atkins.. In fact a chick I work with lost 8kg in less than a month using atkins. I know how to work out to an ok extent, it's diet that is holding me back. In fact I'm sick of spending time in gyms when I could be doing other things. I'm all for bettering myself and have always put the hard yards in but overall it's pretty shit value and if I can spend alot less time at the gym just by eating differently then that's my ticket.

Yes but eating more carbs and less fat or less fat and more carbs wont be the magical answer to your quest...

Of cause you loose weight fast with no carbs.. Muscles are only 30-40% protein in weight the rest is glycogen and basically other shit... Now when glucose isnt available ( brain uses 140g a day of glucose ) naturally it wants it from somewhere. It will either burn protein or fat for fuel though you still need to be in a defecit.

It works well for some people if done properly...

Now youll be in a defect feeling like crap anyway... Now you are eliminating your workout fuel so you have less productive workouts so less stimuli and protein synthesis.

Find a picture of the ideal body you want. You ight not even be training properly for it. f**k you might just want to be skinny and have no muscle ( still eludes me).

No magic fix just time.. Post height weight age and activity level.

Diet is always a bigger factor for weightloss, if your still overeating your calories then your not going to loose body fat at all...

Edited by DRIFTKID

Of course you saw better changes from diet then from training, ever heard the saying that abs are made in the kitchen?

If you want to go lowcarb, from personal experience it takes a little while to get used to but now my #1 food source comes from protein i am finding better results with my training. You'd be better off reading up about carb/nutrient timing rather then just following a diet some girl lost 8kg on. Unless your goal is to fit into that bikini for summer regardless of muscle mass.

How come you buy so much fast food? do you not have a kitchen? Its not hard to steam some broccoli and have some tins of tuna for dinners. I can think of very few fast food options that are going to help you meet any goals.

Low carb works well short term, long term you want a healthy balanced diet.

When I was eating low carb and gyming I ate about 6 times a day, my diet mostly consisted of tuna, fish, chicken and vegetables.

And if you need fast food, subway is decent, just watch the cheese and sauce etc. You can get a wrap if you want less carbs.

Edited by Hobbsie

u need energy so no carbs is just stupid. u will be lethargic and cranky. find out the distribution of carb/protein/fats that u normally eat and then lose some fats and carbs and up the protein but still consume roughly the same amount of calories. a drastic change will see a quick loss but also a quick gain when u stop the fad diet as they're never a long term option.

Well I don't do zero carbs but cutting them right back has done well for me. I thought at least one person might support this diet.

Did anyone have any low carb meal suggestions after all that?

I did almost zero carbs for 8 weeks once. Completely ineffective. Lost a few kilos to start with, most likely muscle, then my metabolism shut down, despite my mass consumption of meat, eggs etc and gym training 4 days a week minimum. The net result was a loss of strength, minimal fat loss and generally poor health. What I discovered about my body in the process was important though. Personally, I need carbs. And in my years of training since, I've discovered there is generally no substitute for hard work, and yes, cardio of some description

Spazo go with

Low carb (10c/35f/55p)

Low carb (10c/35f/55p)

Mild carb (20c/30f/50p)

high carb (30c/20f/50p)

Type of routine, your body won't get use to low carbs ( such as what tom tucker typed)

Low carb diets pretty much consist of;

Chicken

Red meat

Fish - tuna

Plenty of green veggies

A lot of this information online - such as bodybuilding.com, simplyshredded.com etc etc

Do some more research, don't stick to one specific source, expand your knowledge.

Good luck mate

The only people who go for the no/minimal carb diet are body builders going into a competition to sharpen up a bit.

You need carbs for engery and like what's been stated above, your strength will suffer if you avoid them. On the other hand, you don't just want to eat carbs because if your body doesn't use them up as engery, they will turn into fat.

The best thing to do is to try to substitue high GI carbs with medium GI carbs. Instead of white bread and white rice, eat multigrain or the brown option. Even though they will contain the same amout of carbs, they have more fibre and will fill you up for longer.

Have a look at this link.

http://en.wikipedia..../Glycemic_index

Edited by steveP

I've lost 12kg steadily since March 2011, pretty sure almost none of that is muscle mass (had the bodyfat + skin fold tests done). I think low carbs + gym a few times a week is a really good approach, I don't feel overly tired and I'm still strong enough to lift what I lift (I lift lighter weights by choice). I've always had trouble sleeping at night so it's probably not the worst thing if I'm getting around with a bit less energy. I still eat carbs - breads, chips, potato, veges, and rice occasionally but as a rule I avoid them and this does the job well enough for me. I'm not even trying anymore, I prefer eating what I eat and I'm still gradually losing weight... I guess I have to find my sweet spot and then I will start enjoying carbs a bit more just to maintain my bodyfat. Thanks for the all the info.

This forum has definitely changed a lot since I was last here.

Refer to this post Spazo - http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186074&view=findpost&p=2538092

In simple terms - Fats don't make you fat, sugar doesn't make you fat, protein doesn't make you fat - Excess calories make you fat. Any "quick" lose weight or gain weight scheme is never going to be healthy for you. Think of a body builder who wants to get shredded quickly - go on a cycle of roids. Same applies to losing weight.

A favourite saying that I think applies well here - "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going"

In simple terms - Fats don't make you fat, sugar doesn't make you fat, protein doesn't make you fat - Excess calories make you fat.

so if i only eat sugar but under my caloric requirement i will lose fat?

Edited by stupidlikeafox

In SIMPLE terms - Fats don't make you fat, sugar doesn't make you fat, protein doesn't make you fat - Excess calories make you fat.

In simple terms - Fats don't make you fat, sugar doesn't make you fat, protein doesn't make you fat - Excess calories make you fat.

correct.

Eat 1600 calories in sugar per day, see how much far you lose.

There is no such thing as simple terms when it comes to metabolism.

correct.

Simple?

How about we look along the lines of 'realistic,' instead of trying to be right.

Eat 1600 calories in sugar per day, see how much far you lose.

There is no such thing as simple terms when it comes to metabolism.

You will lose weight, and your body would catabolise muscle for amino acids.

Calorie defecit+ adequate protein = fatloss