Sign in to follow this  
-Truck-

Fuel System Building Up an Abnormal Amount of Pressure

hey guys had something peculiar happen to my car on the first track day, basically the fuel system built up so much pressure it took 2 people to pull the lid off the tank. i realise a normal system is supposed to build up some pressure but this was under some ridiculous amount of force.

fuel system consists of a 40ltr alloy fuel cell => mallory low pressure lift pump => 2ltr surge tank => bosch 044

a regular system has a breather setup and on the lid was a little rubber looking nipple with a pin hole in it, i assumed this was the breather to vent this excess pressure so am i wrong or is there something else that could be causing this issue?

can get pictures on request etc.

this has really got me puzzled and personally i think it is abit dangerous as it could explode/rupture if it built up enough

cheers in advance

(mods can move if its in the wrong section)

Edited by -Truck-

id just drill a 30mm hole in the side... good as gold.

or oxy cut, what ever is closest at the time

Its a pressure related issue I would say. Can you post up some photos of the thing you suspect is the tank breather?

If there is no breather for the tank, or even one that isn't working properly, then the decreasing fuel level with cause a vacuum inside the tank causing the problem you have with getting the lid off. The more fuel which is used between lid openings = more vacuum sealing it shut.

oh one of those fittings is for a breather?

i was under the impression they were for return lines, 1 for the normal return line, 1 for the surge tank?

ive probably got things abit arse backwards :lol:

the return for the engine is supposed to go into the surge tank, then the highest fitting on the surge tank returns to the cell

yep i f**ked it, i put both return lines back into the main tank :doh:

ill post a picture tomorrow morning of it all to double check i havent messed anything else up

was pretty hard finding consistent info on how to set it all up,so i just gave it a crack. hopefully i havent messed anything else up (engine or soemthing) in the process..

I brlieve the fuel cell only has two fittings down low. had no real breather i could see when both of us were pulling this lid off!.

The lid itself appears to have a small breather in it thay obviously does f**k all. i suggested a to drill a small hole on top, weld a small fitting in to act as a breather.. pics of it would help you guys tho.