Sign in to follow this  
skuma

Protein powder/workout - need advice

Hi Guys

Fairly new to the gym, been trianing for about 6 weeks

I've started a 3-day split workout routine recently which I;m preety comfortabe with....I;m looking to add about 3-5 kgs of muscle..I want a fairly lean/atheletic look

I have few questions:

1) Im not sure what type of protien powder to use..the hydroxy or WPI..Im currently on the Ripped hydrox supplement'.. I started on the Horleys weight gainer but have found its not for me ( i still have the tub)...I keep getting conflicing advice

2) I seem to be a bit stuck on the same weights at the gym ..I've kind of plateued/flattened out after gradually improving my strenght

I;m 179cm and 73kgs..

1. At a beginner level you should be doing more than a 3-day split. I suggest a 3 day full body such as the skinny guy routine. Also, any whey protein is good enough. It's just a supplement after all, you should be getting most of your protein from your diet.

To gain 3kg from 73kg at 179cm doesn't seem as if you're really all that dedicated to lifting. You wont see much if any improvement with 3kg. You're taller than me...I'm 80kg and still look small.

Unsure on what a lean athletic look is?

If you're dedicated to a proper lifting program I say you should PM Liam (Richard Cranium) about a diet and weight plan. If not, here's a good plan that I am running. My diet needs work so I've stopped a little over the last few weeks with my visual size gains but my weights have increased still.

SQUATS:1X20,1X15

-SUPERSETTED WITH DUMBELLS PULLOVER: 2X12

INCLINE PRESS:2X8

BENT ROWS 3X8

SLDLS 3X8

MILITARY PRESS:2X8

-SUPERSETTED WITH BARBELL CURLS:2X8

DIPS:2X Max

-SUPERSETTED WITH PULLUPS: 2X Max

Do this 3 times a week.

Edited by zeropsi

^ good plan, i'd prob add in a couple of sets of calf raises and a couple of exercises for abs (leg raises or incline sit ups)

When and how often do you have your protein shake?

Have one every morning and straight after your workout.

Thanks guys

I think I;m going to use the skinny guy routine for a while..I want a bit more mass

All up I want to add about 7kg, I'm alrady lean so I guess couple of kilos will be fat/water?..I've gained about a kilo since i started

I have a protein shake in the morning as part of breakfeast and one during dinner/after workout...usually eat about 150g-200g of proetin a day (70 from protein shake)

I used to run so I;m preety lean and fit..I;ve stopped running, just doing sprint/jog cardio for 20-25min 2-3 times a week

Thanks guys

I think I;m going to use the skinny guy routine for a while..I want a bit more mass

All up I want to add about 7kg, I'm alrady lean so I guess couple of kilos will be fat/water?..I've gained about a kilo since i started

I have a protein shake in the morning as part of breakfeast and one during dinner/after workout...usually eat about 150g-200g of proetin a day (70 from protein shake)

I used to run so I;m preety lean and fit..I;ve stopped running, just doing sprint/jog cardio for 20-25min 2-3 times a week

Should be eating around 3500 Clean Calories a day. I've gained 8kg since starting just under 4 months ago. If you want advice on diet I can post my general diet up. It's basically the same as Trucks but added a few bits of fruit/veg during the day.

Diet plan would be great..thanks :thumb:

dnt think ive been eating enough (non protein) foods, because ive been focusing on about 2500 calories a day

Edited by skuma

1st meal - 4 cooked egg whites, like a mass omelette

2nd meal - tuna or penuts

3rd meal - meat/chicken with salad or veg

4th meal - rice or toast

5th meal - dinner

6th meal rice or toast

I throw a can of tuna or fruit/veg in every now and then.

Should also add. If you're not a fan of Tuna I know a girl who has supplemented that for bits of chicken etc. Also I take around 4 1000mg fish oil capsules a day.

Edited by zeropsi

for a 3 day split id just focus on

Day 1-Chest/tri/Shoulders ( front mid delt )

Day 2- Quads/Hams/Lower back

Day 2- Upper Back/Rhomboids/Rear Delts/Bi's

I was doing that for 1 yearish before I started my 5 day split. gone from 60-80kgish bulk around 10-11%bf then back down to 74 when im dropping my bodyfat to 6-7ish %

Any 3 day split is fun and isnt too demanding on the body, i find the rest between the days is also great and you feel motivated to always hit the gym abit harder when you've had more rest

Dusan Zarkovic: Day 2- Quads/Hams/Lower back

Do you just do squats on day 2? lol

I'm also doing a 3day split. I find that I'm always motivated to go to the gym the day after a workout. But because I use that day as a rest day, the day after when I have to workout again, I'll actually feel more sluggish and less motivated. Because of this, I'm probably gonna go to a 5day split quite soon.

To me, it feels like I should be there at the gym pushing weight every day. It feels like I should be getting the most I can out of every day to see the best results. But I know that's not necessarily true. It's just in my psyche to think that.

Edited by Shark

Dusan Zarkovic: Day 2- Quads/Hams/Lower back

Do you just do squats on day 2? lol

why would i only do squats? I start off with deadlifts to hit hams and lower back

I do front squats straight knees or back squats to the floor, wider on the leg press (hit 480kg today woo), and lunges but i dont train calves because mine are over developed already from martial arts.

my split is now

monday- chest

tuesday- back

wed- legs

thursday - shoulders

sat - higher rep back/legs

those weight gainers are full of shit. who in their right mind is going to pay $100 for 4kg when more than half of it is just dextrose which costs $3 a kg at coles?

u want to gain weight? start eating boy. eat big, train hard, sleep and u will get to where u want to be.

Gold 100% ON whey.. cheap as shit.

It's a mix of isolate and concentrate so you get your instant iso intake and a bit of slow release.

80 or 90 something % if I remember correctly.

Gold 100% ON whey.. cheap as shit.

It's a mix of isolate and concentrate so you get your instant iso intake and a bit of slow release.

80 or 90 something % if I remember correctly.

+1

Buy any cheapest whey protein ..... Seriously it will come to stuffing your face with quality protein as said before eat big , train hard , rest well ad watch yourself become mesomorph

bulknutrients.com.au $139 for 5kg protein isolate.

People dont like bulk nutrients because it doesnt come in a pretty tub haha.

Its excellent stuff though, very high protein per serving, something like 89% for flavored, compare that to syntha 6.

Mixes well too.

If you want a weight gainer put some powdered oats in it

yeh i know. it all comes down to the awesome graphics on the tubs haha. seriously, protein all comes from the same source (milk used for cheese production) and all the fancy brands buy their raw powder from the same suppliers and then just add their flavour and charge a shitload more.

You should be investing in some bulk unbranded micellar casein.

People that benefit from "gainers"or other super proteins are doing so because it is correcting whatever insufficient calories they are getting in their diet. For example some people wont eat bread because they will get fat but smash 100g simple sugars in a pwo shake because its the thing to do.

In actual fact you dont actually need protein shakes unless you cant successfully meet your protein requirements in your diet form food alone without over consuming other macronuitrients thus calories.

At the moment im having a gainer in the mornings and hydroxy post workout..seems to be working ok..i find gainers useful

gonna start buying form bulk nutrients though, its cheap!

At the moment im having a gainer in the mornings and hydroxy post workout..seems to be working ok..i find gainers useful

gonna start buying form bulk nutrients though, its cheap!

yes your wasting money.. Gaining / Losing is defined by macronutrients and calorie consumption. Not what type of protein or supplements you use. ( bar drugs)

After bothering to read the contents of HORLEYS compared to ON. I will NEVER again use HORLEYS protein.

Protein Content:

Serving size for each - HORLEYS=120g / ON=160g

HORLEYS ~ 20g protein

ON ~ 60g protein

3times the amount wtf.

Edited by Shark

ON is a great product have used it for years but have slowly cutting down on the shakes swapping shakes for meals and it has done wonders

After reading this I have bought some WPI and pre-workout from Bulk Nutrients.

Was using Maxs Supershred prior to that and was reasonably happy with the results but at $170 for 3kg is very very expensive.

Very interested in how the Bulk Nutrients pre-workout compares to Jack3D and Mesomorph.

Sorry to hi jack....... but I will

I heard a personal trainer tell a client in the gym to have a shake within 20mins of a workout, and before bed.

Any thoughts on this ??

Yeah that's pretty common knowledge. Basically your body is hungry for protein to repair the muscles you just exercised.