Sign in to follow this  
Soppi

Insurance For P Platers With Modified Cars

Yo everyone, not sure if this has been asked or created before, but im just wondering the cost of insurance for p platers with a modified car (in my case an s13). Im getting my p's hopefully in February, and apparently insurance is going to cost an arm and a leg even for just basic mods, so whats the cheapest option out there?

cheers :thumb:

if you want full comp it's going to cost an arm and a leg. but being your first car, third party should be good enough. plus a s13 isn't worth a great deal so not worth getting full comp.

you can go online to justcar insurance and get an online quote. i reckon between $450 and $600 with an excess of about $800 would be fair to say, for third party fire and theft.

Edited by Barbie princess

or to start off with, ask ur parents to see what company they are with. if they have their house, cars etc all under one insurance, you can join in and get a better deal! i had my s14 on my p's and full comp i had to pay 1200 per year. (with suncorp)

i got fire and theft from Just car- had a look around out of 10 insurers only two would insure P plater import- Just car and RACV.

Fire and theft is $500/y for me with $1300 excess. Otherwise RACV was like $800/y and $800 excess

its a hassle but goodluck!

im on my greens and ive got my s14 in my parents name and i pay about 700 a year full comprehensive with nrma

i got fire and theft from Just car- had a look around out of 10 insurers only two would insure P plater import- Just car and RACV.

Fire and theft is $500/y for me with $1300 excess. Otherwise RACV was like $800/y and $800 excess

My first car was an ST162 celica. aus delivered FWD, 2 litre and bone stock. was about $450/year for 3rd party/fire/theft with justcar. This was a while ago now and i'm now old enough for insurance companies to not hate me!!

The moral of the story is dont buy a 'sports' car when youre a P plater and insuring it yourself. 500/year for a sil is a decent deal

insuring my 32 4 door (with suspension and wheels listed in policy) in my name with just car for 3rd party fire and theft cost me about 650/year

don't wanna think about the excess :lol:

probly just car. im off my fulls with a 180sx type x $1200 full comp. id probly recomend 3rd party for an s13 though because its not going to be worth a great deal.

father got my s13 insured full comp and its $175 a month thinking i should change it to only fire and theft? its killing me cause im only on Ps cant afford that sort of deal aswell as other stuff..

I had this problem with my delica because it is an import. I went with RACV under my parents name, full-comp I pay $500 compared to $1200 I was quoted by Just Car. Only thing is I dont get a rating with it (but do with my s12) and would have to pay a high excess if I was in the an accident.

best insurance out for a P plater who wants to drive a modified car...

don't drive a modified car... you'll get your ass bleached with the premium, not to mention the excess you'll be paying because your sure as hell going to want to put yourself with a higher excess when you are looking to get a cheaper premium...

just hold on to your coin get a wicked car when you get off the P's... either that or just roll around in a pulsar or something in the mean time....

ahhhh i cant wait that long :rant: , haha but yeah that does seem the right way to go, thanks everyone!

just hold on to your coin get a wicked car when you get off the P's... either that or just roll around in a pulsar or something in the mean time....

shits still expensive till you hit 25

shits still expensive till you hit 25

Its actually 30 now.

Insurance doesnt drop all that much at 25 these days :cry:

should of lost my license along time ago

not driving saves so much cash, just takes forever to get anywhere

best insurance out for a P plater who wants to drive a modified car...

don't drive a modified car... you'll get your ass bleached with the premium, not to mention the excess you'll be paying because your sure as hell going to want to put yourself with a higher excess when you are looking to get a cheaper premium...

listen to this guy thank us later