Sign in to follow this  
WICD

Idea for a standard on testing lag/low end pickup

Hey Guys,

Have been trying to decide whether to get poncams or go step 2 procams, and guessing about how much low end power I will lose and therefore drive ability on the street.

Basically, people will say, less power up to 3000rpm or gets boost from 2000rpm, but really that doesn’t give you any indication of how that will affect you when you take off from the standstill.

So, what I propose is a 0 - 70KMPH test, only using up to 2500rpm. If you list the mods you have and then your best 0-70 time, you can get an idea on how much a turbo, cams, pistons, flywheel, weight and gearbox can have on your cars pick up. Therefore make a more informed decision on the upgrades you choose!!!!

Anyway I'm completely ready to be flamed the shit out of, especially because I haven't used the search function...

Car: 92 Nissan 180sx

Engine: SR20DET

Internals: Stock

Turbo: GT28RS .64 rear housing

Cams: standard

Flywheel: stock

Weight: 1284kgs

Gearbox: Stock ratio

Power: 200kw at the wheels

Diff ratio: stock

0-70KMPH Time: 12.50s

Edited by WICD

Diff ratios, road surface, rolling diameter, rolling resistance, etc.

Its only meant to be a rough guide. Instead of "it pulls ok up to 3.5k then goes hard."

And how would road surface matter? Your not goin to lose traction.

And this is a relevant test because? Yeah great, you want to quantify something but do you know anyone who actually shifts at 2500 in reality?

Just on that, how can you confirm you are exactly at 2500 when you change each time? How much throttle are you using, how quick are your gear changes in milliseconds? How much do you weigh at the time of the test? what tyres are you using including compound, width, diameter and profile? What is your diff ratio, there are multiple factory ratios? What sort of road surface, how do you know it isn't a high friction asphalt/polymer modified/open grade etc?

So even if you can quantify everything to nail down a pretty well defined set of circumstances and get a result, and every one else does the same, you still don't drive the car that way so it's meaningless.

There are way too many scientists on this forum. Dude if you can find someone who can set your cams up properly you can tune the power to where you want it. For example I have JUN 264deg in and ex cams in my s13 sr20. We have set them with a fair amount of overlap to help with the torque down lower and lost around 10-20kw up top. With a 2860 it's gonna be responsive anyway and your not gonna be able to affor to loose that power up top. A poncam set up properly would be the go for your current turbo setup.

I'm pretty sure I'll go for the pin cams ecause I ha e heard so much good a out them and I don't want to change my valves or springs....

But I still think there could be an alternative test to a 0-100km test that could give you an idea on bottom end pickup. Maybe 0-3000rpm is more relevant as that is where most people would change.

Anyway I don't care, was just a thought about coming up with a simple standard like 0-100 for gauging low end pick up. So you could be like "omg that guy does 10s to 70kmh, the only difference between his and my car is that he has a higher ratio diff, that means I can improve my pickup by changing the diff ratio." and prett much no other use than that....

Good day sir!