Sign in to follow this  
MILK-13

*Edit* Now for sale! Cleeen NA S13 Streeter. Manual Convo/Bilsteins DONE!

GTR Grille - Carbon Fibre or Black?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Black car, want a GTR style grille. Do I go Black or CF?

Hey guys,

I thought I may as well chuck a thread up here, Firstly, let's be clear...this will never be .Rone spec clean or any kind of extreme drift/Dyno machine

I just want to use this to document what I hope will be a well rounded, practical street car that rides/handles well, looks decent, doesn't attract defects like a magnet, and share some of my experiences as well as gather advice along the way...while having somewhat of a reference/diary of it's progress. I will probably edit this 100 times as well so don't be surprised if it changes a little as I remember things laugh.gif

I've had plenty of cars before, but always been a bit wary of their ability to turn into money pits...My first love was a VH BT1 commodore that consumed 16K of mine and never turned out to be anything special, followed by stints with a VP BT1, VL Turbo which came with an RB25DET and I spent a bit of time getting the paint and driveline/brakes sorted. This one I was more careful with and had learnt a couple of lessons, but ultimately had to sell uncompleted when lack of money and frustration at how my $2000 paint job turned out, among other things, got the better of me.

I've also had an Aristo & some S13s, which I moved on when I realised I again getting in too deep. I've realised that I have 2 ideals that badly clash - to restore and improve my daily driven older cars to a standard that I'm happy with (I drive 300Ks a week to get to and from work) and to not waste too much of the modest amount of money I get from work on a car that is only going to deteriorate/depreciate. As a result, 3 of the last 4 S13 purchases have been made with the sole purpose of making a little bit of cash...that way, I could essentially start with pure profit and not feel too guilty about spending a bit of money this time around. I got to a point where I was $6000 ahead, and after trying to find a CLEAN, UNMOLESTED Manual turbo SR20 Sil/180, I gave up and bought my current car...

I bought this around april 2011 from an old couple who's son had imported it around 2004 and passed it on to his parents a short time later. The only mods were an aftermarket headunit, alarm, the wheels, and for some reason, the amber bits on the parker/indicators was blacked out and the globes pulled out :doh:

b0099cbc.jpgddc1a58a.jpg

a41fb37e.jpg

Note the "I love dolphins" Sticker. I drove around for a couple of weeks until I got around to removing it laugh.gif

It had two major flaws - No manual and no turbo...but more than made up for it in the other areas I had deemed important

-Clearly not thrashed

-SR20

-Non cracked dash and generally mint interior

-No evidence of major crash damage

-Non Hicas

-Non ABS

-Non Sunroof

-Clean paint

-The right price

-Reasonable (and believable!) Kilometers

I had some S14 seats and an MDF parcel shelf left over from the previous car I had parted out, so apart from a thorough service, they were the first things to change. I had the parcel shelf recovered beforehand and it also came loaded with some nice Soundstream component 6x9's. I also had some new bushes put in the castor rods which fixed the wobble I was getting over 70-80Ks. Got Pedders to go over it and they couldn't find anything else apart from a split steering rack boot so I was happy.

Over the next few weeks I:

-Made some new brackets for the front speakers I had bought and fitted them,

-Removed mud flaps and rear spoiler

-Fitted some SR20DET front brakes with new slotted rotors

-Replaced the shitty A/M bar indicator on the passenger side with a genuine one I had sitting around, and polished both sides

-Removed the black paint from the parker/indicator assembly and polished them

-Polished up the standard Grille (no more yellow!)

2ce448fb.jpge144c2f0.jpg

67d6b356.jpgb137966d.jpg

Better, but WTF was with this wheel??

86c51512.jpg

Parcel Shelf. The stock back seat REALLY needs an update now. I am trying to find a type X version

fd93f699.jpg

Here's a pic of the brakes...and the pair of GT-C's I had for a short while. Should've kept them and continued my pursuit of another pair, but needed monies sad.gif

fd86065b.jpg2a60364e.jpg

Plus a couple of randoms...

db72ed61.jpga0afe704.jpg

Few pics of old cars of mine for shits and giggles

th_233bbc25.jpgth_92ce2583.jpgth_73915b93.jpgth_00dce9df.jpgth_1ed7dbd3.jpgth_67593a7f.jpg

th_20cb9caf.jpgth_c7e72bb1.jpgth_2e350bc4.jpgth_b4b79894.jpgth_f44a31c7.jpg th_charitycruzpics006.jpg

NS profile.JPG

Edited by MILK-13

Very nice s13 mate. Haha, where do you even get a victorian horn button thingo. Whatever you call that haha.

Very nice s13 mate. Haha, where do you even get a victorian horn button thingo. Whatever you call that haha.

Thanks mate. I've got one I can sell you cheap haha. The wheel felt really good funnily enough...

Thanks mate. I've got one I can sell you cheap haha. The wheel felt really good funnily enough...

Nah, i'll be alright thumbsup.gif haha

Good stuff! What did u use to polish th grille?

Cheers man. It's totally worth doing and brings it up like new. I used 2000 paper (Wet) followed by a buff with plastix and then some Meguires wax. Works great on all the indicator lenses/rear lights etc too

At this point I began to gather some parts for a manual conversion, and some suspension bits. I also wanted to do something about an exhaust...I found a cheap x-force 3" system and bought it. Normally I would have steered clear of such a big system for an NA but figured that it would be eventually turbo'd, and as it had a mid muffler and silencer, it shouldn't be too obnoxious sounding, so I cleaned it up and had Mark at ET fit it up for me as it needed a hanger for the cannon, and I thought it would be worth seeing what could be done to have it nicely tucked.

Before

28fb63e4.jpg

During

519dad2a.jpg

After

3853aa19.jpg

Fitted

9dac37ee.jpg

While I didn't mind the look of it, the sound without the silencer was annoyingly loud, with it in it looked shit and sounded like something wasn't quite right, plus it knocked the bumper every now and then...so after reading a little further and seeing how these don't really require anything bigger than 2-2 1/4" to flow well enough for an N/A, as well as being stainless from factory (explains why so many are still in tact 20 years later!) I picked up another stock exhaust, cleaned it up and fitted it. I had also stopped kidding myself that this would be turbo'd any time soon...as I still hadn't got the manual conversion together yet, let alone a turbo conversion.

Shortly after I had Mark fit a 2 1/4" diff back pipe with a Dynamax VT muffler. This gives it a nice, sporting note, while remaining almost stock like at idle. I certainly didn't notice much power difference from the 3" setup, except maybe right at the top of the rev range. I plan to have the front muffler replaced with a resonator at some stage, and possibly some headers if I find a good enough deal.

Spent heaps of time with a wire wheel, rustbuster and some paint to bring the exhaust back to looking good but my photos have dissappeared cry.gifconfused.gif But it looked real nice

I've also changed the dash globes to LED (ZPE kit on ebay) as well as the parker globes, and put some better Narva Arctic blue globes in to improve the dismal stock lights. Made a nice difference!

Bought a Momo Wheel, ECUtalk interface (I freakin LOVE this) and a set of drift Teks next. Not exactly what I want, but good enough for now were in great nik with good tyres...and they were cheap!

Oh, and of course the compulsory GKTech replacement overflow bottle was installed!

2fc322f3.jpg91ce92cb.jpg

137eeb54.jpg767c1c6e.jpg

Can sorta see the muffler in these...Not quite the tip I had in mind, but I forgot to be specific lol

8bf18f93.jpg94637ffd.jpg

Edited by MILK-13

love it. Im jealous, always wanted to get a N/A silvia for a project, something you can thrash all day long :)

Manual Conversion time!!

I had slowly pieced together the bits I needed. Got a low K SRDE box, I then had the seals replaced by KPM automotive who machined my flywheel as well. I often use & highly recommend them for any mechanical work...clean workshop, quick turnover and great labor rates.

Got the following bits new from Unley Nissan, TAARK and a place in the states (all genuine nissan)

-Flywheel bolts

-Pressure plate bolts

-Front and rear gearbox seals

-Rear main seal

-Thrust bearing

-Needle spigot bearing

-Leather S13 gearknob :shades:

-Gearknob boot (interior)

-Shifter insulator

-O2 Sensor

-Coolant temp sensor

-Fuel tank o ring

-Nismo GB mount

-Z32 Slave cylinder

-Shifter bushing

-Clutch Fork dust cover

-Radiator cap

-Manual brake pedal rubber

plus an extreme HD organic clutch and HEL braided clutch line

Total cost of conversion was around $1550 including all the new parts and labor to replace the seals

a52457cc.jpg9209acac.jpg

7d3d6ad8.jpged4dab26.jpg

I had two of my mates around to help on the saturday, we got as far as getting the auto tranny out, and getting stuck on the spiggot bush for hours, despite having purchased a bearing puller. The jaws started to bend and we couldn't get a grip on the thing :rant: so my mate luke (SR20nutter) slowly plugged away with a drill and some pliers. Managed to mount the flywheel and clutch before everyone called it a day...leaving me the task of trying to get the other box in and do the other bits and pieces myself bit by bit over the following week, after work

I ended up using 4 jacks and assorted bits of wood and a ratchet strap to slowly lift the box in. Had a few problems getting the bolts done up as there is not much room and you really need to do them up bit by bit around the bellhousing so the gap closes evenly, but after putting in a few hours here and there during the week, I screwed the gearknob on at 4am the following Saturday morning and left the car up on stands jacks and got 3 hours worth of sleep before getting up & I nervously testing it before I headed off to work, satisfied the job was well done! I'm pretty happy with the box...in fact, it's the best nissan manual box I've had. It's not notchy at all, even on a cold morning...every other one I've had was a little funny on that first change to second gear in the morning.

c0655b11.jpgd03687ec.jpg

d615626f.jpga5aaf21e.jpg

1af67086.jpg09e92622.jpg

f835e8cb.jpgf428185c.jpg

Updated the stereo a little bit. Just got a pioneer unit with iPod control and Bluetooth for hands free calls. You can see the mic just above and to the right of the a/c. I neatened up the wiring too...used an 8 pin plug for the speaker wire (so I didn't have to solder inside the car) and grouped the other wires together while evening up the lengths so they could be cable tied together...all soldered/heat shrinked except the car side of the speaker plug, which had handy screw-in terminals! I forgot to take pics though sad.gif

Also got a small powered sub which massively exceeded my expectations as far as volume and SQ, while fitting snugly behind the back seat. Win! biggrin.gif

Heres some pics showing the stereo, and the interior as it currently sits:

63d007ad.jpgac1d6d5a.jpg

e7c3c199.jpg8d49dae9.jpg

11e73b3f.jpg

Lastly, I purchased a PLMS ecu a while ago that was mapped for a mild DE. It has a standard and "Fast" (LOL) map. Long story short, I had a problem with it not working but had a guy at work look at it and find something minor out of place, so it is fixed and installed in the car. Car feels quicker and behaves better than it did with the auto ecu I had in it. I will be getting the tune touched up shortly and seeing how many killawasps it has laugh.gif

356cec70.jpgc167994f.jpg

f8f4cc11.jpgfc02e5a4.jpg

That's about all for now...I am currently waiting on a bunch of stuff I ordered through Streeter to roll up so I can get the suspension and ride height sorted and chuck some of the other bits I have on it. Still not sure what exactly will make it's way to the car but I have a mish-mash of Ohlins and Bilstein stuff coming so I'll have to play the waiting game and figure out what I'm doing, then sell the rest.

Also want a type X rear seat and glovebox...not sure what to do with the door trims yet

aaand trying to work out whether I should put some LEDs in a DCC unit like I did in my old car...They look good and all, but I find the standard A/C controls more user friendly. Thoughts?

P1030074.jpg

Cheers for looking! biggrin.gif

Edited by MILK-13

love it. Im jealous, always wanted to get a N/A silvia for a project, something you can thrash all day long :)

Cheers man. Wanna swap for the stag? Haha

Ah shit I did too lol (not that I'd seen yours)...Great minds think alike?

Changed :P

You might have missed my post, so I aks again:

I did answer, just might not have seen it since I edited my post. Check again :thumbsup:

Found the pics of the exhaust...nothing too exciting, but shows how handy a wire wheel and some paint can be. Shit pics though

Current rear section was added after this

During:

26bb0c80.jpg2ad9839d.jpg

After:

15053027.jpg

This is the result of my recent Yahoo spree...to do something about the current height/ride

th_7a92c42c.jpg th_5a72f052.jpg th_ab4c7e15.jpg

th_d6be1467.jpg th_658ef715.jpg

I was going to use the uprights with some Bilstein inserts and try to fit some front R32 struts on the back for some decent low WITH travel, but I will probably just use the S13 Bilstein set as is and sell the rest off once I've had a bit of a play around...Just gotta play the slow boat waiting game now. Guh sad.png

That is all for now thumbsup.gif

Edited by MILK-13

Coming along really nicely mate, it certainly does look like you've picked up a nice clean base.

Can't believe i got a mention in your opening post though haha, funny as.

Thanks for the kind words, i'm sure this will also become an excellent example.

Will be following.

Nice work dude. Great find, paint looks in awesome condition. I've gone pretty much the same as you, auto SR20DE. I've done the conversion right now, need to get some suspension goodies and nice wheels before it looks good though.

You still got the mud flaps around by any chance? Something dirty inside of me wants them badly.

Cheers guys

@.Rone - Well yours is the benchmark dude haha

@thiller - I sold them not that long ago, sorry mate

wow man, nice project! love to see more updates!

wow man, nice project! love to see more updates!

Thanks man. I will as the wallet recovers eventually :D

Stupid Question: the factory catch can thing... Do you need to clean/empty them from time to time or do they sort themselves out?

The first of my bits have arrived. R32 Bilsteins and Coilover housings. I'm going to try and test fit the bilsteins to the back to see how they sit, but I've got them up for sale so don't know if I'll get a chance. I'm going to keep one set of housings as well just in case I decide to buy some 3000GT Bilsteins to put in them.

I'll definitely post some pics if I do fit them though...should sit nice and low :D

Thanks man.

Not much to report at the moment....still waiting on my bilstein set and trying to save to get a tune done, fit the suspension/tie rods/boots etc and sort out some play in my rear end which I suspect is subframe or knuckle related.

Really clean mate. Noticed when your csr was auto you always left in in drive? Haha pretty dangerous

Really clean mate. Noticed when your csr was auto you always left in in drive? Haha pretty dangerous

Nah it's neutral...even so, I don't see how

it would be dangerous lol

The S13 Bilstein set has arrived finally! :hypo: Interesting to compare with the R32 front and rears...They're all different slightly. Looks like there is about 90mm between the S13 rear and R32 front, by the time you change the springs and tops to fit the S13 rear.

Left to right...S13 Front/Rear, R32 Front/Rear. Ultra crap pics I know, sorry

a5768df4.jpg2d0048f6.jpg

6afbb2bc.jpg

Now I've just got to find some time to fit these mo fuggers, the rack/tie rod ends some rear bushes and get an alignment done. $$ and time are a premium this time of year lol :rolleyes:

Hopefully it takes a decent chunk out of the ride height, but I'm fairly sure it'll be minimal...fingers crossed

Edited by MILK-13

Man, it's been slow going...what with bill season/Christmas etc. Have since sold a bunch of parts/saved some cash and was all ready to get these Bilsteins in and sorted, along with some of my new bushes and some other bits and I get hit with a $366 traffic infringement and a bill for a new hot water system at one of my houses!! I hate being a landlord, I never have any money now. If I could turn back the clock...

On a nicer note, thanks to the Happy wash on west tce staining my paintwork, the car will be getting treated to an all over thorough polish at their expense. The guy who's doing it is a gun so I'm looking forward to having her looking her best again.

Once all this is sorted and I've had a chance to enjoy driving it a bit, I might put it up for sale, and look at a Type x 180 or S14 S2 rather than blow more cash going through an engine swap or turbo conversion...maybe

Any suggestions as to what to go for price wise..Considering that apart from an LSD (and turbo lol), theres NOTHING that needs any attention?

*waits for lowballers :unsure: lol

17x8/9 +34/35. Thinking of spacing them out a little...especially the fronts

You're car is pretty much exactly how I want mine to look with low, black with gold drift teks. I'm just not sure on what size wheels to get(width+offset). Do you have any photos of your car lowered?