Sign in to follow this  
26_S13

welds that make you go weak at the knees

hey guys, not sure if its been posted before. but as the title states welds that make you go weak at the knee's, im sure most fabricators on here check out the welds on the stainless rails at shopping centers, or the alloy welds on general shop items such as ladders ect ect, unless im just weird ? hahaha, anywho id like people to post some pics you may have seen on the internet or even in real life of the most sexiest beads you have seen, doesent matter what material mild/alloy/stainless/titanium ect ect.. some are probley going to be done by machine but its still something that can be stared at for hours and hours. ha. heres a couple of pics to kick it off :

weld2.jpg

weld1.jpg

weld6.jpg

weld3.jpg

weld5.jpg

weld4.jpg

I've seen some awesome beads at work, these Korean blokes I work with weld like robots side by side comparing them to a robot weld u can't pick the difference and they are just as fast

I'll try get some pics, most are just stainless steam pipe welds with about a 10mm wall thickness so it takes a few runs on top of each other to fill up the butt weld

I'm also the same as u I check out welds on all random shit I see around in my day to day life

im sure most fabricators on here check out the welds on the stainless rails at shopping centers, or the alloy welds on general shop items such as ladders ect ect, unless im just weird ? hahaha

I do the exact same thing and my tell my fiance hey thats a xxx weld, look at the mad\shit weld ect.. she just rolls her eyes and doesnt care lol..

That very first picture....oh my gawd....

I've seen some awesome beads at work, these Korean blokes I work with weld like robots side by side comparing them to a robot weld u can't pick the difference and they are just as fast

I'll try get some pics, most are just stainless steam pipe welds with about a 10mm wall thickness so it takes a few runs on top of each other to fill up the butt weld

I'm also the same as u I check out welds on all random shit I see around in my day to day life

haha started looking around my desk for welds as soon as you said that :lol:

When I walk I can get a decnt bead (nothing like above) but when my tradesman does it. O-m-g looks fuvk amazing!

I'v seen a couple pipe welders that looked awsome. Walky walky all the way round. Problem was freehand on anything else it looked below average.

Heres one i'd saved. I can see it's been weaved over the top but regardless it looks pretty :D (i guess thats the problem with tig, very easy to trick people)

two pass tig stringer then weave.jpg

Hopefully people wont get angry at my stinky mig weld among these tig trophies.

mig weave.jpg

I can walk and get a semi desent result on pipe work.. South african bloke I worked with was amazing.. first time I saw his work I had to ask if it had actually been done be a human.. sooo perfect.. But he was slooow..

With a rotator I could do a 3" pipe but in about 25 mins start to finish.. give or take depending on how it was tacked together..

laying down single beads isnt very hard to do but try laying down multiple beads and linking them into each other its a lot harder then just laying down one single bead

sorry about photo quality

these photos were taken from my old job

origin gas fired turbine power station so the welds had to be very high quality all welds get N.D.T and hydro tested

stainless steam pipe full purged, multiple runs / root run, filler run, capping pass

gas used was Argon + Hydrogen

Helium is generally added to increase heat input (increase welding speed or weld penetration). Hydrogen will result in cleaner looking welds and also increase heat input, however, Hydrogen may promote porosity or hydrogen cracking.

DSC00071.JPGDSC00065.JPG

random photo of the view

DSC00060.JPG

no wonder why scaffold takes so long to get built

DSC00061.JPG

any one who has done the high pressure weld ticket will know how hard this is to do

to be able to get the ticket u must complete 2 different welds

2G position and 5G position

weld_position_02.jpg

5G position is very hard because u need to be able to weld over head position where your welding from under the work piece looking up above u

this weld is vertical up and take note there are no stop and starting marks in the weld this is very impressive work that mostly boiler makers only understand

u must have full penetration, zero suck back, weld penetration must not exceed 2mm, zero under cut, weld reinforcement must not exceed 2mm on each end of the weld length

tip-tig-welding-L2.jpg

if your wondering what it is, its a big T piece

tip-tig-welding-L3.jpg

2G weld position

tip-tig-welders-L7.gif

IMG_0736.jpg

some very impressive alloy welding

very clean,high fluid weld, zero defects

TIP-TIG-ALLOY-400-SMALLX.jpg

robot welding

this is setup on a tack and all u have to do is dial in the filler speed, amps and all those sort of stuff and the machine does the rest

TIP-STAIN-15-MM.gif

Heres one i'd saved. I can see it's been weaved over the top but regardless it looks pretty :D (i guess thats the problem with tig, very easy to trick people)

two pass tig stringer then weave.jpg

thats a very impressive weld

Kemp how many tickets have you got just out of interests? Looks like you really know your stuff and some of the jobs you've been on must have paid a truckload!

Kemp how many tickets have you got just out of interests? Looks like you really know your stuff and some of the jobs you've been on must have paid a truckload!

im still not finished yet... im still at tafe at the moment but had to put it on hold because of work, working very long hours which means i had to put tafe on hold

A.S 1796 is the high pressure welding tickets

if all goes good i might be heading over to W.A for a brand new power station project * fingers crossed *

its a power station + iron ore

sino-iron-03.jpgsino-iron-01.jpg

the pay is awesome but the down side is im working away from home the pay does make up for it tho

working locally in SYdney at the moment on a oil refinery shutdown

Edited by STR8E180

Root run on a single U bevel weld prep

Pipe_root_weld_with_HAZ.jpg

Edited by STR8E180

Awesome idea for a thread. That manifold is a nice piece of gear!

Those welds make me moist. Sif weld razors and coke cans, I blow holes in way thicker shit.

This is a mad thread.. S**t there's is some amazing work been shown

^ nice, also note that it has wiggons clamps on the radiator setup = $$$$$$$