Sign in to follow this  
xris

ADGP Round 1 review

Great event ,

Big turnout considering it's the first & we are looking forward to the next round

Taken from FB

Australian Drifting Grand Prix BIG NEWS. Spoke with Bob Jane today about the event and he said that ADGP has given them a good enough reason to look at making the outside seating of the Thunderdome usable again. Lets hope it can become a reality for 2012!!! Will help solve the constraints we had with viewing. If you want to see thia happen click like and share this pos

They could easily hold two rounds at Calder using two diff layouts. It's central in the country and is really a perfect venue once spectator viewing is sorted

Man i have to say all the drivers were fantastic on the weekend, really patient and understanding. No agro, nothing. Was a real pleasure to work with everyone on the weekend and made my job easy.

Just on this, and im not usually one to give praise as im a salty c*nt but you did a bloody good job on the weekend I thought Yoshi. Very helpful with information, making sure drivers were in the right places at the right times and just in general helping out. I think with out yourself, Robbie and... (I have forgetten her name? Chance?) the event wouldnt have run as smoothly. Thanks mate.

couldn't see much at turn one but the rest was acceptable.whats the deal with the thunder dome, is it in use at much or is this the only event its had in months?just putting this out there, if its not in any real use i'd say make/lay a drift track in the infield and run practice days with infield track and the dome ADGP layout so 2 courses can be run
Calder park doesn't do practice days.. They haven't done them for about 5+ years. They may change there mind of using the Thunderdome for drift since it doesn't have to look pretty, but i doubt Calder will spend any money re-vamping it, They have been spending millions on there drag strip/race track.. Which is why theres heaps of seats missing everything has been moved over.

yes i know calder wasn't doing any recent drifting until now.

great news about the grand stands, just need to push for the infield track idea , build it and they we will come

ADGP has made its mark and things are looking brighter :yes:

awsome event, a night session there would be insane also would be good to have passengers in the expression session!!!

Yeah man photos are crazy dope!

i wanna skid this, would be f**king hard, off the steep bank at a wall, then transition right on the bump going up back onto the bank. with the right clipping points it would have to be one of the harder tracks getting around i reckon.

calder.jpg

^epic

how many people ended up rocking up over the weekend Andrew?

Sorry if this wrecks anyones screen! But here's a panorama (hand held lol) of the amount of people from the sunday event.

gives people a bit of an idea at least

IMG_4087pano.jpg

Tried something like this track. Great to drive but dangerous, destroys tyres,destroys cars ( more so ), doesn't work with time attack course and Calder didn't allow it anyway. The line you've drawn goes off the bank which is WAY steeper than Irwindale and simply too aggressive transition from bank to flat. Most importantly, crowd couldn't see it.

We really did try to use the big bank and tested it, but it simply can't be made to work from all the angles it needs to.

i wanna skid this, would be f**king hard, off the steep bank at a wall, then transition right on the bump going up back onto the bank. with the right clipping points it would have to be one of the harder tracks getting around i reckon.

calder.jpg

i never said it would be suitable for a competition, i just wanna drift it :lol:

i agree, it would destroy cars if you f**k up, but would be fun as f**k for those willing to try haha.

I think i saw a clip of that spot with the bank->flat transition somewhere... looked harsh as fk. Isn't that where nigel destroyed all sorts of shit?

edit: would be sweet for a missile comp... rolley polley hahaha

Glad the bitching got sorted before the event! Amy, Andrew and the team should be proud that the event was a huge success minus the few teething issues. I absolutely can't wait for next year (wish Simon and I could make it to the two final rounds this year :().

Although I don't have Foxtel it will be great to see the footage from the event and I am so damn excited about Scott Mitchell's footage!

Just a question though, are Trackbattle keen to try new things track wise or just using the same stuff as previous events?

Shiiiit didn't realize Scott Mitchell was filming at the time. He's gonna have some epic footage me thinks

i know it looks like Scott Mitchell but if you look closely that guy is actually wearing shoes

haha yeah yeah powers

Well you see i spray painted my feet to 'look' like im wearing shoes haha!

It was a fantastic event, was crazy, cant wait for it to return next year, will be there again 100%

Just a idea, instead of having a sort of 's bend' before the entry have you guys thought about taking that out, and having a straight entry, i think less cars would get wrecked and can slide along the wall for longer, as that s bend made it basically like a skando?

Just a thought!

We thought of that but we had to create a pit entry and there is gaps in the wall to worry about. Also, we felt that would nake it too easy. Looking at other options with the Thunderdome for next year, including talking with Calder about some upgrades to the track.

It was a fantastic event, was crazy, cant wait for it to return next year, will be there again 100%

Just a idea, instead of having a sort of 's bend' before the entry have you guys thought about taking that out, and having a straight entry, i think less cars would get wrecked and can slide along the wall for longer, as that s bend made it basically like a skando?

Just a thought!

Exactly what I was thinking for the entry. We've all seen the vid of naoki nakamura at Suzuka twin. That's how you should be entering, the tracks pretty much perfect for it. And if you don't think that would be hard your trippn. With the current setup the no scando rule went out the window.....