Sign in to follow this  
spongeboy

NBA Lockout

NBA lockout  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you side with?

• Players (soft cap, with revenue heading their way 57/43)
    • Owners (hard cap, with revenue 50/50 )
    • They're both acting like little bitches

Hey guys, I'm a big basketball fan/ ex player/soon to play again? After just watching the rebirth of my team the prevoous season, (the bulls by the way, gotta love the Chi), I was eagerly looking forward to this coming season. But now the league is in a lockout, due to existing labour disputes.

In all honesty the NBA is turning into a one-trick pony in the sense that, there are only like 5 teams you expect to win, 3 from the west (dallas, SA, LA lakers) and 2 from the east (Boston, whatever team lebron is on). I think that a hard cap could fix the league and make the season a little more open ended.

What do you think? (if you don't know much about the lockout, check out www.nba.com for a rundown..)

iv been following the nba and its lockout aswell since it began. I think whats forgotten here that the players asssociation isnt being greedy at all but rather looking out for the small guys and senior players. The players association are more concerned about the guranteed contracts that offer the veteran players a set minimum pay, these include those exception rules like the early bird, bird exemptions, veterans wages etc. Also for teams that develop players from rookie season to offer a better contract extension once their current contract expires which again is a nba exemption rule.

the owners are argueing that player salaries are going through the roof but in my opinion the onus is on the OWNERS to make the decision on how much they should pay a player and how much they are worth. take a team like atlanta hawks who offered joe johnson(who in the scheme of players in the league isnt the BEST player around avg like 20ppg) a max contract of $120 million or orlando magic giving rashard lewis or even washington gilbert arenas max contract deals who end up being a bust. IT was the owners decision to offer these guys those deals not the players. fair enough if i was a owner to offer those to players like kobe, lebron, wade, dwight howard, rose etc because these are QUALITY players who bring in big revenue for the teams in ticket and merchandise sales.

The owners;particularly the smaller town teams are fighting for a more even spread in talent pool and revenue sharing to make it a more competitive league(in the case of a small town teams salary being 1/2 of that of someone like the lakers who pay almost $90 mill in luxury tax) but the owners knew that before buying a team. the lower ranked teams have also been gifted with alot more higher draft picks in recent years ie washington/minnesota/sacremento but still arent becoming competitive at there own fault. take a team like cleveland who were basically bottom feeders and resurrected to a top team by a number 1 draft player.

SO really the players have offered a 54ish 46 split in revenue and other considerations but its the owners who really are being greedy and arent being open to negotiations. i dont see why the last CBA had any issues and they cant "tweak" that and get the season going. who knows

been following aswell, last i heard is that the season may only be half a season, but this season is looking very doubtful....... new low for the nba, this shows they are playing for the money and not the love of the sport.

Stalemate contracts were a massive issue in the last CBA. and a hard cap will enable teams to offer less money to all players, which will also take away a lot of the players power, in off the court operations. I also think there should be a performance clause and penalties when quotients aren't met (I don't mean a player must score at least 25 ppg, thats unreasonable), at least something to insure owners against paying too much for dead weight. Look at Greg Oden, could have been an awesome player, key words, COULD HAVE, but he got injured, and now Portland had to pay him in full for what was barely a seasons worth of solid basketball, poor Greg? hell no, that guy made a crapload of cash just chilling out on the bench, the only reason I feel bad for him is because he won't reach his potential. I haven't seen any player take initiative to help their team become better by offering to take a pay cut, and then complain because their team can't win. Look at John stockton, dude took a paycut to help utah bring in more talent, sure he organised some hockey games to be played in a major arena, but he still took a pay cut. Where has that passion for basketball, and sport in general gone. To be honest the league today is a joke, when compared to it's golden era, it's more or less based on hype rather than substance. to the point where players like Deron Williams, who is a good player, had the nerve to cause all these problems, push Jerry Sloan to resign after coaching the Jazz for 24 years. You also have players like Chris Bosh who complain about how players are too reckless when omer Asik dived for a ball an incidently bumped into Chris bosh in the process. When did the league get filled with so many prima donnas?

thursday will be the day everything gets decided ! :D

players will have to give up 12% of salary to go on the court, if rejected next time we see the players will be at the olympics...

meh, the way things are going, I'm kind of looking forward to a year off, if it means weeding out the dead weight and such. derek fisher is really managing to piss me off.