Sign in to follow this  
brownbrowneye

sub advice....a hardcore sub

mmmmk any guru's out there? now i kno a fair bit but not that much in terms of amp brands and subs.

i got a Orion HCCA 12 subby....now its massive. from a meter away it will f**k a pc monitor permanently. it asks 1200rms. dual 2 ohm voice coil.

me needs an amp. and im having a whole shit load of trouble deciding or finding one. also havin trouble deciding wether to run it in series with both the vioce coils linked (so ill need a 4ohm input from mono block) or run it as seperate voice coils (so ill run two 2ohm inputs to the sub from a two channel amp) i can get any jbl amp thru work at a farkin good price. at moment im looking at a A302GTi and it should punch thru 300w a side into 2ohm...its underpowering the sub however...

was lookin at these amps

GTO1201.1 Sub Amp from the GTO range

and

A302 GTi

A1201GTi however this is only 1200rms into 2ohms...and its only a 1 channel so if i run it at 4 ohms into the sub in series it will only be like 600-700rms...

i dunno what jbl amp to get. anyone had experience?

anyone had experience with this type of sub? basically im after reccomendations from experience or help from people who know about this kind of shit. like whats the best configuration to go with?

this is the site where i am lookin at the jbl's and can get any of the amps in any of the ranges at a decent price...so im abviosly biased towars jbls because i can get em cheap :D

cheers.

i kno its a massive post lol....ah well...go nuts. :blink:

http://www.rawaudio.com.au/ will DEFINENTLY have the things you are after. These guys are insane and stock only the "good shit"

The owners are based in Melbourne too, so if you email them you may be able to pick it up which will save you a few bucks :)

Good luck with it dude

-theo

JBLS are nothing special with amps..

Im sure people will start spurting out things like PPI and Earthquake.. its all about how much your willing to spend.. i'd say you should go a dedicated class d amp.

But its personal preference and budget.

I have a BostonAcoustics Competitor 4Ohm 850W 10" sub for sale if you are interested...

Put the coils in parallel and not serious, and they will present themselves as a one ohm load. Hence you will want a 1ohm monoblock amp. Nav2k has a detailed thread thats near the top of this section detailing many many good amps for you to choose from.

sr180 - tell me how it will become a 1ohm load?

i dont think it is possible?

thanks for ur input everyone. sounds like Nav2k is the man to speak to....

dual 2ohm coils can be run at 1ohm load, by bridging the two positive terminals together, and then the two negatives together, and then run one positive and one negative to the amp.

1_2ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

Check that wiring pic from the Lightning audio site.

As for the amp selection, i wouldn't be going the 'cheapest' option just cos its easier. Go for quality and above all performance that is true, not a marketing gimmic. A lot of amp's say on they box or on the cover that they make like 1500wRms but they often don't even get close. Obviously the big brand stuff is always a good choice as its proven in the field... stuff like Soundstream, Nakamichi, and Lightning audio is fairly new to australia (brother company to Rockford Fosgate) and make some extremely good stuff. Their Storm line of amp's are exceptionally good, similarly the less model Strike which is still extremely good. I ran Lightning gear and its very good, and was last years US car audio association's top pic brand for competition. So i guess thats enuff proof. But really research a bit cos there is a lot of info that goes unoticed in car audio choice.

cheers surreal...hmmm 1ohm may be the way tto go...with a 1ohm stable monoblock....yeas....

yeah and with the brands i dont want to go cheap as it just wont do the sub justice....so im going to be getting soemthing faily decent. however im having second thoughts now....the more research i do the more i find out i have to spend...better of saving it for the rotor me thinks.

bigger battery, alternator etc etc...

Surreal is exactly right. Thats a nice diagram that one...

Thats how you connect coils in parallel... For series you contact them positive to negative and connect the remaining unconnected terminals to the amp.

For series:

The total load (in Ohms) = The load of the coils added together.

For parallel:

The total load in ohms = 2 / The load each coil.

if u got the $ go TRU Tech, one of the best SQ amps around and will still blow ur sub these have amps have BIG BALLS with SQ too! hand made in the USA i believe

a 1 ohm monoblock would def be the way to go

something to overpower the subs nicely

Alpine make mono block amps for those kind of subs, ive got one powering my alpine sub. Its awesome.

any recomendations on a 1ohm mono block...?

keeping in mind dont wanna spend huge ammounts of cash. tru tech is out of the question....there 1ohm blocks start at like 1500, i know its probly worth every cent...however imjust not prepared to spend that much.

any any where in melb apart from raw audio i can check out u guys know of?

Kicker SX1250.1 would go nicely, or a Phoenix Gold Ti1200.1

Just under $1k for those.

I bought my Alpine mono block for around 500-600 bucks. cant remember the exact price. It powers a 10 inch dual voice coil alpine but is made for a 12 inch version.

It really depends on what power you want from the amp as apposed to what you want to spend. There's no such thing as a good 'cheap' amp to be honest. If you want a decent power and low ohm stable amp then you have to spend the cash. I think the 12A BP is looking better! You wont get change from $1500 if you are serious about finding the right amp. If you are... then start looking at some of the Lightning Audio/Rockford Fosgate stuff, the Fusin Jonah Lohmu is an animal, Phoenix Gold make some good stuff, the JL amp's aren't to bad but not the best, but i have heard them in person and they perform fairly well. My mate had one 1000wRms Mono for his two JL W7's and it never let him down and he loved the volume dial of his head unit! He also ran a big 4 channel for his speakers, but i think in total for his two subs and two amp's was around the 4-5 grand mark or something.

yeah mmm... i think ill just get a couple of 10" jbls and a jbl amp...just cause i can get them really cheap and be done with that. i mean...that will give me heaps of bass in the little mazdabator. rest of cash goes towards a dirty big bridgeport....

get 2 solo baric L7 12's and power them at their power rating of 750wrms per sub and you will have more than enough bass to kill your eardrums and hopefully all the cars around you :P

Go 1 ohm.. feeding two seperate channels to a single sub can be done but only if you have an oscilloscope to match the phase and power of each channel.

Kicker kx1200.1, Alpine MRD1000, Earthquake PHD3 supports 1 ohm...

There are many more amps that can go to 1 ohm..just cash vs power.. :)