Sign in to follow this  
Ranger Nath

applying for the police force?

well the application has been sent,.. so shall see what happens next,.. have been more active lately,. more running, riding, pushups, weights, etc...

see, if i even get a call back, but can only try i guess :)

thanks for all help and feedback

Weights aren't hugely important unless you're going in for STAR but you can't unless you've been a serving constable for 2 years (not including the training years at the academy), so no need to go overboard there.

Pushups and Situps are just a strength component that they'll probably expect from you during their physical testing, aim for AT LEAST 25 push ups and 25 sit ups.

If you want to know how to do them... http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/fitness/techniques/ I would follow these to the letter.

Thanks buddy,.. the sit ups is an easy one, can do many of them,..

the push ups on the other hand,. I gotta keep working on them,..

if nothing else and i dont make it in somehow, it wont hurt to be able to do it

Not really friends if they judge you on your chosen profession and can't accept it.

Don't forget though that being a police officer is a career and not a job, if you quit in 5 years time you've done a piss poor job, it really is a life time commitment.

At the end of the day, you'll be a better cop if your personality and heart are there, or you can just be another mong stuck at senior constable for the rest of his life because he thinks he's top shit.

@ J's 180, I only used the STAR example to suggest that doing weights was a bit overboard for police entry but doing it a couple of times a week will only benefit you so there's no reason not to, I just think there's better things you could be doing.

Now you might have to do a Cert III Police Studies course at TAFE (6 months) before they'll accept you, talk to recruitment and see what they have to say about it (as you're a bit older ~10 years in another industry) they might over look this (generally for kids out of highschool).

Yeah have spoken to recruiting, They have informed me that because I have done my time and am qualified in another industry, that I dont need to do the certificate III in police studied, that it was generally for the youngins fresh from school, but if I dont get accepted on the first time, I will do the course, as this is all I want to do now, I want to get out of the kitchen, and do this.

Yeah have spoken to recruiting, They have informed me that because I have done my time and am qualified in another industry, that I dont need to do the certificate III in police studied, that it was generally for the youngins fresh from school, but if I dont get accepted on the first time, I will do the course, as this is all I want to do now, I want to get out of the kitchen, and do this.

good luck man...

and if you get in be nice with the defects :lol:

Realistically I dont do as much community stuff as i should, aside from volunteering at some benefits and fundraisers.

I should now that I'm living in the country ,.. well not really country, but not city (victor harbor) try get involved in the cfs or something.

Have been doing some studying and it seems that nt police are that desperate for staff that the pay is higher,.. housing is provided,.. or if you have your own house, a $21,000 allowance per year is paid, they'll let you sit the exam in your own capital city,

easier to get into, and 7 weeks annual leave,.. running the numbers, but a move to the territory might even be worth it.

That's sweet! Oh wait...

5.jpg

Have been doing some studying and it seems that nt police are that desperate for staff that the pay is higher,.. housing is provided,.. or if you have your own house, a $21,000 allowance per year is paid, they'll let you sit the exam in your own capital city,

easier to get into, and 7 weeks annual leave,.. running the numbers, but a move to the territory might even be worth it.

That's sweet! Oh wait...

5.jpg

they seem friendly :lol:

ya heard back yet nate??

i applied like 7 weeks ago now and only just been put on the system and now waiting for record checks

ya heard back yet nate??

i applied like 7 weeks ago now and only just been put on the system and now waiting for record checks

yeah got an email, saying that my application is recieved, and ill hear from them in several weeks for the next step etc.

but that was about 3-4 weeks ago. so just waiting

good news came today, got a call, to sit the entry exam next monday,

so fingers crossed all will go well there, and it all flows from there, but i really have no idea how long things take from now to progress

thanks for your help mate, found a sample test online which is a bit of a guide of what i am to expect come exam day.

Have taken all advice on board.

Hopefully they dont want to rush too quickly after the test as i have to go to brisbane for a week with my current job a few days after the test.

and as a casual I cant turn down too many trips to maybe get in.

hey mate, hope everything went well with the exam. I just applyied to do a certificate III in police studies, ive heard its a good place to start before actually applying for sapol.

Well, had the exam today,.. went well I think,. The first half just being basic English, grammar, maths etc. Don't think i've struggled with that one too much.

Seems they have dropped the part where you write a police report. Then the last half the exam was phsyc testing, basically asking hundreds of yes/no oppinion questions.

As well as giving two scentences and you saying which one you believe in most.

Wore as suggested on here, shirt, slacks, dress shoes,.. I think that was the appropriate dress for the day.

Some wore jeans and t-shirt, one lad wore shorts,.. one went all out and wore a suit.

Guess it was only exam day though..

Anywho, think I done well, thanks to all help on here, hopefully I'll get a call for the panel interview

Always thought how mad it would be to be a cop, but always been to lazy to actually go through with anything. Good luck mate.

its been a long process, but finally got the call,.. panel interview wednesday,.. this is the part of the whole process i've been dreading,. prepared to cop a grilling.

Congrats mate.

Best of luck with it all. Keep us posted, even if it is only every 4ish weeks!

That's sweet! Oh wait...

5.jpg

is that your leather jacket i see spazo?

hows the application going? got mine ready just need to drop it in :S

So I live in lower SA, I'm a qualified diesel mechanic, I own my house and am looking to become a police officer. Obviously I will need to move to Adelaide for a period of time, just wondering how long are you in the academy?

Do you do the testing all at once to find out if I'm eligible? Or is it over a period of time?

I've heard there is a physical test, psychological and aptitude test?

A little concerned at how difficult, or easy it will be to get a job down here closer to home?

im going to an information night tonight about it, will let ya know dude!

I've been thinking about possibly applying for SAPOL for a while now but a little hesitant. I've heard a lot about how police are given quotas that they can't fore fill so then go for easy targets such as defects. If that's the case I'm not sure I would want to become one. I believe I have the life experience being in Corrections and all currently but give it a few more years and see where my thought are then.

Good luck anyway mate and keep us updated on your progress

ive just gotten out of the army after 4 years, hopefully thats enough experience!

That'd be awesome mate cheers! I've been itching for a career change and have always wanted to join

turns out they dont like tattoos, i have a full sleeve on left arm, and a few going down my right arm... may be able to get in, but will have to wear long sleeve shirt.

may even get told to not even worry about applying.

Ah shithouse. I have an inner forearm tattoo, but would be happy to wear long sleeves...

yeah id be happy to wear long sleeves, no dramas at all with it...

served in afghanistan for 8 months, so apparently i have to do even more psych exams...

looks like the more life experience you have, the more they grill you.... looking like a lot of obstacles to get through, but i want it too much to give in.