buying coilovers

162 members have voted

1. 1. buying coilovers

• used cheap coilovers (Bc)
    • used Jap coilovers (tein)
    • new cheap coilovers (bc)
    • new Jap coilovers (tein)

hey guys,

for the last few months I have been looking for used coilovers naimingly tiens or something of that quality however after doing some researh I'm seeing a lot of people say they wouldn't touch used coilovers... so I'm wondering what everyone's opinion are, would you buy used Jap coilovers or better to go with new aus made cheapies? or best to go all out and get new coilovers from the motherland?

thanks for input/votes

*(brackets are examples of price/quality range)

same with anything you get what you pay for, i wouldn't use 2nd hand ones, as you dont know the life they have had

hey guys,

for the last few months I have been looking for used coilovers naimingly tiens or something of that quality however after doing some researh I'm seeing a lot of people say they wouldn't touch used coilovers... so I'm wondering what everyone's opinion are, would you buy used Jap coilovers or better to go with new aus made cheapies? or best to go all out and get new coilovers from the motherland?

thanks for input/votes

*(brackets are examples of price/quality range)

The problem with used shocks (be it coilovers or conventional struts) is that they could be ready to blow, and you have no warranty.

Many can't be rebuilt locally, or the cost is prohibitive.

i wouldnt go used, and BC arn't technically a cheapy cheap brand, theyre still really decent for the price, but of course $1800 - $2200 coilovers from japan will be better, but youre also paying more for them, i guess it depends how seriously you take suspension really :) My BC's are perfect

It depends what your doing with the car?

Ive bought 2nd hand jap coils before ( tein, jic, racing logic) and they all were ok, it really is the lychnis the draw, they are hard to tell from visual inspection

Personally I wouldn't go used, I had a set of used coilovers on my old car and while they functioned alright they were noisy and creaked when under pressure. For what it's worth go with new ones

Do what you think is right, But just keep in mind your car will sit on these.

Cheap 2nd hand ones would be the go. No need to spend the big dollars unless you really want to.

I had the same problem, but realised not to go second hand and am going with BC's for sure..

I went second hand but I got them off a mate, BC would be the way to go man

yeah I got some Jic coilovers when I first got the car and they started leaking in no time... really got me weary about second hand coilovers however I can't justify spending $1800-2000 on decent Jap ones... yeah I understand bc arnt the cheapest of cheap I wouldn't even touch the shit you see on eBay for $400 brand new... such a safety risk when you buy such low quality suspension bits...

well how do the bc's each up against the big Jap names? I guess in the end I just need a bit of low and to stiffen everything up so doesn't really matter what brand they are

whats bc like with warranty and spring rates?

Well for starters I wouldn't run tein new or 2nd hand...

But a tip if you look at 2n hand coilovers; wind down the spring seats so the shock can be compressed by hand. After being fully depressed it should return to full extension by it's self, slowly and steadily. If it doesn't then they are blown and don't buy them. If you can't wind down the collars because they are seized, then they are of no use and you shouldn't buy them. Grab the strut tops and check the studs making sure they are all the same (I have seen ones with different length studs in them before, sripped ones and different threads), grab them and shake them about they should be slightly stiff but smooth. If they are really loose but not knocking about then they are pretty well worn but will work, if they knock about and have free play then the spherical bearings are stuffed and you shouldn't but them.

2nd hand coils overs sell for WAY too much in really bad condition because too many people just want their car 'slammed' and don't car how well it handles or whether or not the shocks are blown etc. Brand new jap coil overs are about $1500 +/-, second hand ones in good condition should about $700 and shit ones $200 if they have usable parts on them (spare collars, springs, tops etc).

Don't pay good money for shit parts...

-dan

just to let you know ive just ordered my set of tein coilovers monoflex from streeter for the same price as bc's ;)

just to let you know ive just ordered my set of tein coilovers monoflex from streeter for the same price as bc's ;)

how much was that for? if you dont mind me asking..

Haven't read too much good stuff about the monoflex vs bc

has anyone had any experiance with megan racing RS coilovers?

also im running a Rb in the silvia so what would be the best way to work out the spring rates needed?

has anyone had any experiance with megan racing RS coilovers?

also im running a Rb in the silvia so what would be the best way to work out the spring rates needed?

prob from the same factory as all the other china poo poo

i'm looking at 7kg front and 4 kg rear in mine. but going to corner weight first to make sure

was brought in japan for $1900 then couple hundred to ship it down ;) well worth it just have to wait a little longer for it

I was going to buy Jap coilovers, but decided on Powered By Max competition coilovers. Exchange rate is much better to the USA as well. Anyone else had experience running these coilovers in Australia?

Wouldnt touch 2nd handies unless they were both decent brand and valid reason for the sale e.g. half cut.

was brought in japan for $1900 then couple hundred to ship it down ;) well worth it just have to wait a little longer for it

Same price?

BCs are ~$1200....

2nd hand stuff is good if u don't pay too much and u know what you're looking at

For the base ones

Bc's are cheap coilover ..... Not great

Bang for buck

Silkroads rm-a8

Round 1600 delivered. Shit over local coils and still resonablly priced

got second hand JIC coilovers. started good, 2 months later, turned to shit.

about to buy some HSD's, hopefully ill see a marked improvement.

If not something good I'd definitely be getting BCs...the reputation of most of this Jap stuff seems undeserved.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

At least BCs are well supported here in terms of being able to have the dampers replaced easily...and people have dynod them with reasonable results

in my opinion get some hsd's for $1500 best bang for buck

so what does everyone think? BC? or HSD? they seem faily similar.