Sign in to follow this  
sinkingalwayssinking

about to buy a 180

hey everyone, i'm ment to be buying a 180 today with an sr20det in it.

the guy has just told me that the valves are sticking in the last cylinder and its running on three cylinders.

now the thing is i know shit all on how i would go about replacing it and fixing or anything to do with it.

is it worth me getting it and spending the money to fix it?

how much will it cost to fix?

or should i just leave it and keep looking.

cheers.

Nathan

Head must come off to fix valves you'll need new gaskets , possibly machining and judging from you're post you're not mechanically capable. I'd stay away unless price is in accordance with the cars current condition

I would personally avoid, in all honesty you have no idea what is currently wrong with it.

+1 on leaving it alone plenty of 180s around I remember I passed on a few 200sx's till I found tge one I was happy with :)

How much is it going for? what is the general condition of the car? and what mods does it have?

yeah i know the heads gotta come off and it will need new gaskets.

i would have no idea how to do it myself haha.

price is 4 grand has fmic, drifteks, s13 front end and condition of the car is actually really good.( much better than my curent sil)

oh and im not exactly buying it to daily drive, i have an s13 im daily driving which is non turbo. it was jsut going to be a cheap drift car to learn in.

and he started off wanting 5 grand but then when all this started happening he said hed drop the price to 4.

Your taking a big risk what if you do get it and the problem turns out to be much much bigger then you thought? You cant returned used goods man it's not a shop so it's sold as is that's just me I wouldn't touch it but if you got the money go for it!

Your taking a big risk what if you do get it and the problem turns out to be much much bigger then you thought? You cant returned used goods man it's not a shop so it's sold as is that's just me I wouldn't touch it but if you got the money go for it!

yeah exactly, thats what im thinking. i might just leave it and keep looking.

id rather be putting the money into my current car to be honest then wasting it on something thats preety much screwed.

If your gonna pay someone else to fix it, 100% stay away.

I wouldn't bother for 4k.

If you plan to keep it an unregistered track car, look for a deregistered defected car that's the same price, but running properly.

Yea sounds like a dropped valve, happened to my sr20det s14... New motor was easier then trying to fix it. So i sold the kent n let someone else stuff around with it..

My opinion stay far away.

Dont touch it unless your thinking of swapping the engine out. Could even be the head thats warped. You simply just dont know the extent of the damage till the engine comes out.

cheers guys, he just told me i could have it for 3500 but i think ill end up just fixing my car haha and then wait till something better comes along for a track car.

thanks for everyones input. much appreciated.

offer him 1500 see what he says haha

aha, Mad low balling skills.

i couldnt have gone lower but hey im a nice guy

Yeahh just my opionin but Stay away...

Mainly because hes telling you that the valves are sticking- I doubt he has opened the head and confirmed that this is the issue for all you know it could be alot worse- (or alot better...) Either way head would have to come off, Probably machined blah blah blah The cost just stacks up.

Unless you can afford to drop in a brand new motor (say 1.5-2k with labor,) Within the price then stay away because you dont know how simple or complex the problem is and you will spend some $500 just having someone diagnose it (if you're lucky) then Extra to fix it... which as you said could be spent on better things-

Low ball him and explain where you're comming from, if hes mechanically ... "special" .. aswell then you may scare him into selling it to you cheap! ive done this a few times I must admit,

back again haha, so he said that he jumped to the worst case scenario. now thinks its a roller rocker arm, and hes going to fix it tomorrow.

but i am still a bit sketchy.

i dont feel like spending money on a car thats going to need to be fixed, i will probably just keep looking till something else comes along

Sounds cheap enough if it's as clean as you say...buy another motor, swap it, then you have a spare for parts or to rebuild. Meh, either way

I wouldn't buy it, going to give you headaches, unless the car is dirt cheap and the body is in good condition

4k sounds pretty decent for whats wrong. worst case you need a 2nd hand engine 1500 so what you have a decent 180 for under 6k.

lowball the shit outta him i say

you wouldn't happen to be the owner would you? i don't mind low balling people on firesport, get some good replies.

back again haha, so he said that he jumped to the worst case scenario. now thinks its a roller rocker arm, and hes going to fix it tomorrow.

but i am still a bit sketchy.

i dont feel like spending money on a car thats going to need to be fixed, i will probably just keep looking till something else comes along

Hmmm but you are going to buy an Import anyway. Lolz.

From my understanding he wanted 5k then when he found out the motor was f**ked he only dropped the price a grand? If he sells it for 3g then thats a diff story, buy it and put6k into the motor, get a streetforced build, or even get another standard sr and drop that in

From my understanding he wanted 5k then when he found out the motor was f**ked he only dropped the price a grand? If he sells it for 3g then thats a diff story, buy it and put6k into the motor, get a streetforced build, or even get another standard sr and drop that in