Sign in to follow this  
Pervy

Heysen Tunnel hoons impounded

...ok the deal is that a new drag strip WON'T fix the problems on teh street....everyone knows this.....much having flags up at teh beach will keep everyone safe.

It's a basic 'make sure the bases are covered' principal. If every effort is being made to curb problematic situations and community concerns like HOONING.....then the Gov SHOULD be allowed to rape and pillage as much as they want......only not all bases are covered.

There is a gaping hole in this state where a world class motorsport facility - much like what EVERY OTHER state in Australia is currently enjoying - could be utilised to entice potential hoon driving to occur in a safe, controlled and expressive manner.

This media hype has been happening for year and years and years and years and years......some of you younger nerds need to read this article and understand that the problems surrounding high performance cars is not just confined to your beloved Nissan Hi-tech road warriors (notice my old school Mad Max reference there!)

AUSTRALIAN SUPER CAR SCARE 1972

This type of hype is generational and will continue again in the future. I say get a track, THEN and only THEN start hammering people wanting to express themselves on the street with their cars. Either that.....or buy a Prius - NO ONE WILL HEAR YOU HITTING REDLINE!

RJ

Jason is on the right track - old guys like me and him have lived with this before - long before most of you were born - what you have to do is mobilise and start placing political pressure - how many of you are members of a political party? I suppose a few of you are members of a Trade Union - have you mentioned your concerns about the impact on your sport to your shop steward or union rep???

a small group of NS drivers came along and spoke to Isobel Redmond - the leader of the opposition- last year - that really impressed her - she still talks about it.

You need to become politically active - when you see a Member of Parliament out kissing babies go up to them and tell the straight to their face - if they are holding any sort of public forum where you can ask a question then stand up and ask one!!

Write comments on Adelaide Now and send emails to editor at The Advertiser. These are the mainstream media that all those old Calais, Fairmont and Magna drivers read - you have to convince them that what YOU do is the right thing - so that means being polite and respectful

If you guys need help in this there are a few older guys willing to help

How 'OLD' are you guys then?

I feel im between the 'old' and the 'young' and def know this has been going on for fkn ages - way before the import scene.

I just tried to put a few SAPOL quotes together to see if they make sense

If SAPOL reckon this sort of behaviour is "reckless" and that "the risk of injury or death is quite high" and SAPOL reckon that "Speed Cameras Save Lives" and there are already monitoring cameras and infrastructure in place in the tunnels then if they were REALLY thought that this behaviour was reckless and they were REALLY serious about saving lives then they would have put speed cameras in place long ago

Shows you how completely inept our so-called road safety program is. In an area where the Deputy Commissioner says the risk of injury or death from excessive speed is quite high there are no cameras but we have cameras by the hundreds on straight open downhill roads!

I definately see your point, but the obvious rebuttal would be that they heysen tunnels arent a 'black spot' for road deaths and injuries, therefore no cameras have been installed because they are better utilised in areas where more accidents occur because 'speed cameras are about safety, not revenue'

Secondly the placement of cameras on other flat 'safer' roads is there to promote a 'speed and you'll get caught' attitude amongst drivers (and have to pay a RIDICULOUS fine of atleast $300). The strategy is to ping as many people as possible to put them in fear of getting caught anywhere, not just somewhere you're likely to really open up some throttle and discourage people from speeding at any time.

Just to clarify, thats not my personal opinion, just what I see as the way that point would be answered if brought up. Obviously more police is a much better solution to really make a difference, but I imagine the money from that would take away from pollie's benefits and the 'thinkers in residence' cash waster. Personally I see a need for speed cameras to be around but with that being said the current system has evolved into a blantant revenue raiser. If i got stung speeding by 8ks and got hit with $50-80 i'd learn the same lesson as if i got stung with a $300 fine.

I think its just a lot more reasonable to weight the fines according to your history, almost like an insurance no claim bonus. If somebody driving for 15 years without any fines gets one doing 60 in a 50 due to a changed speed limit, slugging them $300 doesnt achieve much since they are clearly a responsible driver. The fact that somebody with a mountain of unpaid fines can get caught doing the same thing three times a week and get the same penalty is just wrong. If every subsequent offence added up it would be better for the responsible drivers who make the occasional mistake and really hurt people who just dont want to learn their lesson. I think speed cameras are a good deterrant for speeding, but the fines are far, FAR too high.

^^ you mean like the Henley beach road underpass?

^Hey my point is they there to make cash, especially with big ass fines... Henley underpass is a major one. (although how people miss the sign, and the fixed camera is beyond me)

Just saying if this issue was raised the govt would come back with saying there are no cameras on places like the heysen tunnels and southern expressway because they arent known for road deaths and they are in places like that underpass to discourage more people. blah blah road safety not trying to cash in blah.

Like i said, not my opinion, just how it could/would be rebutted.

How 'OLD' are you guys then?

I feel im between the 'old' and the 'young' and def know this has been going on for fkn ages - way before the import scene.

I'm 54 this year but still think I'm 18 - maybe 20. We used to get hassled in our EK Holden station wagon with a Hydramatic trans doing one wheelers on the old Grand Prix track in Nuriootpa - like we were modern day "hoons".

Lol at EEvo's dad calling him to ask if the blue car was his...

And yeh who cares, car gets impounded from 28 days to whatever depending on if it's their first offence, so you get the car back and just grandma the thing or sell it to "shake off" police attention in the future...

Don't get what all the fuss is about?

....I'm only 37....but I read alot....and listen alot to what is going on. I get the newspaper EVERYDAY and understand community trends....media hype and what fits where and with who. Kim is spot on.

READ THIS;

THE NEXT STATE ELECTION IS STILL A SHILE AWAY....BUT YOU CAN START CHANGING THE MINDSET OF PEOPLE AROUND YOU....YOU CAN ENACT CHANGE IN THIS STATE.....START WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY....WORK YOUR WAY TO WORK MATES AND RANDOM PEOPLE YOU BUMP INTO. TARGET CONVERSATIONS SURROUNDING 'CARS'...USE FACTUAL INFORMATION TO EDUCATE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR CONVERSATION....USE ENTHUSIASIM AND FRUSTRATION TO CONVEY YOUR MESSAGE....AND FINALLY DEMONSTRATE HOW THINGS LIKE HOON LAW REVISIONS, DRIVER TRAINING AND IMPROVED MOTORSPORT FACILITIES WILL HELP LOWER THE ROAD TOLL.

WATCH THE CHANGE IN THEIR FACES....WATCH THEM JOIN THE FIGHT.....AND COME ELECTION TIME....WATCH THE TIDE TURN ON THESE IDIOTS WAS HAVE RUNNING OUR STATE INTO THE GROUND.

Oh and did anyone notice poor old Bianco is going belly up and bankrupt today????? The same Bianco who supported Soccer and Port Power to teh tune of millions and millions of dollars....the same guy who employs hundreds of South Aussies and who invested in expanding to accomodate the mining boom right here in our state.....the same guy who missed out on the all important mining tender jobs that eventually saw about his downfall.

....here is the kicker...

Anyone hear Mick Rann on the radio YESTERDAY! Announcing the large amount of mining jobs the state has won? He warbled on about how many jobs it will create and how 'hard' the Government had worked to secure them......what did they forget about Mr Bianco? Did they forget about this hard working SA battler?????

Good one Rann.....another local small business hung out to dry.

They guys suck wang to the enth degree.

RJ

Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to RJ? If we do end up getting the motorplex you will definitely have played a part in it happening. Great work with everything you do for the car scene. :thumb:

lol don't encourage him...

Oh and did anyone notice poor old Bianco is going belly up and bankrupt today????? The same Bianco who supported Soccer and Port Power to teh tune of millions and millions of dollars....the same guy who employs hundreds of South Aussies and who

invested in expanding to accomodate the mining boom right here in our state.....the same guy who missed out on the all important mining tender jobs that eventually saw about his downfall.

Sorry you would find that he took a big risk and built the new complex

For the new submarine/war ship contracts but they

gave the contract to some Vic mob

But yes you would think the sa government would keep it in sa

For a local developer

Fu*k'n iphone

....I'm only 37....but I read alot....and listen alot to what is going on. I get the newspaper EVERYDAY and understand community trends....media hype and what fits where and with who. Kim is spot on.

READ THIS;

THE NEXT STATE ELECTION IS STILL A WHILE AWAY....BUT YOU CAN START CHANGING THE MINDSET OF PEOPLE AROUND YOU....YOU CAN ENACT CHANGE IN THIS STATE.....START WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY....WORK YOUR WAY TO WORK MATES AND RANDOM PEOPLE YOU BUMP INTO. TARGET CONVERSATIONS SURROUNDING 'CARS'...USE FACTUAL INFORMATION TO EDUCATE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR CONVERSATION....USE ENTHUSIASM AND FRUSTRATION TO CONVEY YOUR MESSAGE....AND FINALLY DEMONSTRATE HOW THINGS LIKE HOON LAW REVISIONS, DRIVER TRAINING AND IMPROVED MOTORSPORT FACILITIES WILL HELP LOWER THE ROAD TOLL.

WATCH THE CHANGE IN THEIR FACES....WATCH THEM JOIN THE FIGHT.....AND COME ELECTION TIME....WATCH THE TIDE TURN ON THESE IDIOTS WAS HAVE RUNNING OUR STATE INTO THE GROUND.

RJ

This is how its done - if every Forum member talked to 10 others and got them to change the way they voted then motorsport would have a direct voice in Parliament - you have two years!

I just tried to put a few SAPOL quotes together to see if they make sense

If SAPOL reckon this sort of behaviour is "reckless" and that "the risk of injury or death is quite high" and SAPOL reckon that "Speed Cameras Save Lives" and there are already monitoring cameras and infrastructure in place in the tunnels then if they were REALLY thought that this behaviour was reckless and they were REALLY serious about saving lives then they would have put speed cameras in place long ago

Shows you how completely inept our so-called road safety program is. In an area where the Deputy Commissioner says the risk of injury or death from excessive speed is quite high there are no cameras but we have cameras by the hundreds on straight open downhill roads!

I definately see your point, but the obvious rebuttal would be that they heysen tunnels arent a 'black spot' for road deaths and injuries, therefore no cameras have been installed because they are better utilised in areas where more accidents occur because 'speed cameras are about safety, not revenue'

Secondly the placement of cameras on other flat 'safer' roads is there to promote a 'speed and you'll get caught' attitude amongst drivers (and have to pay a RIDICULOUS fine of atleast $300). The strategy is to ping as many people as possible to put them in fear of getting caught anywhere, not just somewhere you're likely to really open up some throttle and discourage people from speeding at any time.

Just to clarify, thats not my personal opinion, just what I see as the way that point would be answered if brought up. Obviously more police is a much better solution to really make a difference, but I imagine the money from that would take away from pollie's benefits and the 'thinkers in residence' cash waster. Personally I see a need for speed cameras to be around but with that being said the current system has evolved into a blantant revenue raiser. If i got stung speeding by 8ks and got hit with $50-80 i'd learn the same lesson as if i got stung with a $300 fine.

I think its just a lot more reasonable to weight the fines according to your history, almost like an insurance no claim bonus. If somebody driving for 15 years without any fines gets one doing 60 in a 50 due to a changed speed limit, slugging them $300 doesnt achieve much since they are clearly a responsible driver. The fact that somebody with a mountain of unpaid fines can get caught doing the same thing three times a week and get the same penalty is just wrong. If every subsequent offence added up it would be better for the responsible drivers who make the occasional mistake and really hurt people who just dont want to learn their lesson. I think speed cameras are a good deterrant for speeding, but the fines are far, FAR too high.

Putting a speed camera in the tunnel would be the dumbest move... Imagine all the people slamming on their brakes as they approach the camera, with pretty much it being a blind corner in the tunnel that's just asking for disaster

Oh and did anyone notice poor old Bianco is going belly up and bankrupt today????? The same Bianco who supported Soccer and Port Power to teh tune of millions and millions of dollars....the same guy who employs hundreds of South Aussies and who

invested in expanding to accomodate the mining boom right here in our state.....the same guy who missed out on the all important mining tender jobs that eventually saw about his downfall.

Sorry you would find that he took a big risk and built the new complex

For the new submarine/war ship contracts but they

gave the contract to some Vic mob

But yes you would think the sa government would keep it in sa

For a local developer

Fu*k'n iphone

Well that's the BS thing. Rann blitzed all the media saying the contract would bring lots of SA jobs, not only for the project itself but for the supply..

Then on the back hand the government gives contracts to companies in another state. rolleyes.gif

You can understand why Bianco thought he had it in the bag.

Because nobody gives it a squirt through the tunnels…..this is completly original….Sigh.

As for Bianco…My brothers a driver for em..He is shitting it

Edited by zeropsi

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but here is your police woman from the first pic at 39 seconds in.

im sorry, but has no one noticed a major flaw in their report?

the tunnel is around 480m long (according to Google earth), set at a constant legal speed of 90km/h and the reporter dangerously timed it at 21 seconds without his seat belt on

physics tells us that speed is equal to distance / time

therefore....

480m/21s = 22.86m/s and when multiplied by 3.6, gives us 82.2km/h

another flaw is that they show a ceffy doing a brakie when talking about skylines ???

and another flaw/contradiction is that the reporter is strongly opposed to these illegal acts whilst doing something blatantly illegal (no seatbelt)

how can teachers ban me from using Wikipedia as a creditable source for reports, when they allow the media to be a creditable source of facts? :lol:

Good observations! Seriously though, if someone showed police that footage and pointed out the lack of seat belt I think Brett there could be getting a present in the mail from sapol

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but here is your police woman from the first pic at 39 seconds in.

im sorry, but has no noticed a major flaw in their report?

the tunnel is around 480m long (according to Google earth), set at a constant legal speed of 90km/h and the reporter dangerously timed it at 21 seconds without his seat belt on

physics tells us that speed is equal to distance / time

therefore....

480m/21s = 22.86m/s and when multiplied by 3.6, gives us 82.2km/h

another flaw is that they show a ceffy doing a brakie when talking about skylines ???

and another flaw/contradiction is that the reporter is strongly opposed to these illegal acts whilst doing something blatantly illegal (no seatbelt)

how can teachers ban me from using Wikipedia as a creditable source for reports, when they allow the media to be a creditable source of facts? :lol:

The tunnel is 500m long (according to Wikipedia lol)

So that'll give you a constant speed of 85.6km/h.

Speedometers, according to ADR's requirements; have a negative tolerance within 10% (not +/- like normal tolerances) so they show higher than actual speed by design. Then you factor in the tolerance for reading a analogue gauge is +/- half the smallest increment (assume 5km/h increments) and you'll see that there measurements/calculations are pretty close considering they way their data was gathered.

The tunnel is 500m long (according to Wikipedia lol)

So that'll give you a constant speed of 85.6km/h.

Speedometers, according to ADR's requirements; have a negative tolerance within 10% (not +/- like normal tolerances) so they show higher than actual speed by design. Then you factor in the tolerance for reading a analogue gauge is +/- half the smallest increment (assume 5km/h increments) and you'll see that there measurements/calculations are pretty close considering they way their data was gathered.

fair enough but then again, this is based that they have timed it in fairness to the exact length (unknown) of the tunnel

then why are speed camera's 3% tolerance? shouldn't they be 10%, to be parallel with ADR instrument regs? so much contradiction everywhere

Up to 143kph? Very precise guess from a f**kibg video

I was thinking about this too until i saw the video. the whole 'not less than 143' thing means 143 would be the absolute lowest possible speed they would be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt. anything 135 in a 90 or over is enough for them to charge dangerous speed though.

I imagine It would basically be the distance of the tunnel / time. The first report on the news worked out the average speed to be 160km/h and they covered the whole heysen tunnel in 11 seconds (it works out to 163km/h average to do 500m in 11 secs) Considering they accelerate from a 'seemingly' normal speed at the start of the tunnel and pop out 11-12 seconds later AVERAGING 160, I think theyre lucky its only being pushed at 143. (my guess would be top speed of close to 200 for the lead car). Apparently they have the footage from the cameras in the tunnels too so the drivers are pretty stuffed on the whole speed thing.

At first i thought it was a bit of a media beat up (well... it still is) but after i saw the vid its pretty obvious they were racing and had to overtake another motorist during the race. I agree 100% we need a drag strip or something in the state so people can get it out of their systems but on a public road, overtaking inoccent road users at that speed isnt cool. Just a shame the morons do it in imports

it stipulates up to.. hence, 143 is the highest possible speed they can confidently allege beyond reasonable doubt said motorists were speeding. although it is a guidance, it is not strict procedure i believe to prove beyond reasonable doubt regarding the motorists actions like in the supreme court. it is clear enough video footage that will allow the allegation to stand. they do not have to prove anything else to the magistrate except they were the drivers at the time which isnt particularly hard. you also have to remember the issue will be adjudicated before a magistrate, and not a jury.

err look closer, he does actually have his seatbelt on..

beat me to it. first time i watched it i saw it and was asking myself" wtf is wrong with others eyes"

end of the day they did it, got caught ,are getting raped . story over. Deserved

this isnt a case of" i accidently went over speedlimit down hill" so no fixed camera would fix it. they would just be elsewhere.

lower fines will ENCOURAGE speeding as the richer end of society wont give a flying F%^k about a $80 fine here or there .

Just be an AWARE , RESPECTFUL and SENSIBLE driver and you wont get fines and the roads will be safer and easier.

(PS: no i dont do drugs or alcohol as the above statement hints at )

It really depends on the Cop who deals with you, I myself did 45km+ over the speed limit ( yes its very stupid and now i gotta pay for my stupidty) I got impounded and said i shall recieve a summons in a few week. half a year later $1500 down and p's for 3 years + no turbo untill full licence

sucks to be you :P

I got done for 46kph over the limit while on my P2s, they let me drive for 24 hours, got a $700ish fine, and when I got my license back, somehow I have my full license xD

yeah, it was stupid, I was pissed off about having to move house because I got kicked out by my Auntie for buying a cat....

I got done for 46kph over the limit while on my P2s, they let me drive for 24 hours, got a $700ish fine, and when I got my license back, somehow I have my full license xD

yeah, it was stupid, I was pissed off about having to move house because I got kicked out by my Auntie for buying a cat....

got to love that, im still waiting for my fulls. Everytime i get within a month of being able to get it, i do something stupid :(

Edited by ecr-033

err look closer, he does actually have his seatbelt on..

beat me to it. first time i watched it i saw it and was asking myself" wtf is wrong with others eyes"

end of the day they did it, got caught ,are getting raped . story over. Deserved

this isnt a case of" i accidently went over speedlimit down hill" so no fixed camera would fix it. they would just be elsewhere.

lower fines will ENCOURAGE speeding as the richer end of society wont give a flying F%^k about a $80 fine here or there .

Just be an AWARE , RESPECTFUL and SENSIBLE driver and you wont get fines and the roads will be safer and easier.

(PS: no i dont do drugs or alcohol as the above statement hints at )

Actually, for wealthier people in our society there's really not much difference for them if its $80 or $800 anyway

So they got these guys huh? RJ is true patriot for the car enthusiast, Some serious passion in those posts!

I would have kicked you out for getting a cat too.

Large cats are dangerous but a little pussy never hurt anyone

I am one of the people that learnt a lesson from getting a speeding fine. In my 5 years of driving I had never received any fine (apart from the odd parking fine, but thats a little different - speaking of, they have gone up to $40 from $20 as of 1st July), I got done just out of KiKi, after driving for 10 hours. I was not happy about handing over my hard earned money to pay the $250 odd fine, BUT I learnt my lesson.