Sign in to follow this  
jupp

questions on wearing a weight belt

Just wanted to ask the question, as i keep getting mixed answers. Not lifting anything big when it comes to deadlifts or squats, but is there any weight that i should start to? or is it just a safe thing to do in the first place. Worried as have had back problems in the past (due to inflexibility) so don't really want to go there again by being an idiot, any help on the topic would be appreciated. Cheers.

perfect your form first then increase weight as long as your form doesnt suffer

if you're not lifting heavy and with proper form i don't see the need of a belt

Edited by Upright

agreed. no need for a belt. just make sure you got the technique right and remember it much more important that what weight you can lift.

Start with an empty bar and add 2.5kg every session.

It's called progressive resistance training.

Your body will grow stronger to adapt to the increasing stimuli.

If you don't start training with a belt, you won't need one. Read the line above to understand why.

yeh dont worry about a belt. the guys u see at the gym wearing them are posers. most of the guys at my gym wearing them have beer guts lol.

ha fair enough, cheers guys eased my mind. For sure forms the most important thing always try to keep mine spot on, been slowly working up the weights on these two exercises recently gonna keep them in all my future programs

Work on your from and strength to begin with. Once you start progressing and reach novice strength standard eg 140 squat, 100 bench and 200 dead then i would look at using a belt.

Buy a belt and learn how to use it properly, it will add kilos to your squat and dead when used correctly.

Usually people that are "anti-belt" have never used one before. I was one of these people. Now that i have a belt i would never lift heavy without one.

At the end of the day there is really no reason why someone shouldnt wear a belt, except for the typical "im more of a man because i lift without a belt" simple minded people.

those novice lifts are 1max rep right?

those novice lifts are 1max rep right?

Correctamundo.

Work on your from and strength to begin with. Once you start progressing and reach novice strength standard eg 140 squat, 100 bench and 200 dead then i would look at using a belt.

Buy a belt and learn how to use it properly, it will add kilos to your squat and dead when used correctly.

Usually people that are "anti-belt" have never used one before. I was one of these people. Now that i have a belt i would never lift heavy without one.

At the end of the day there is really no reason why someone shouldnt wear a belt, except for the typical "im more of a man because i lift without a belt" simple minded people.

cheers mate

i saw a guy wearing a belt while he was doing a seated military press. Is that normal?

i saw a guy wearing a belt while he was doing a seated military press. Is that normal?

To do a military press seated? no. lol.