Sign in to follow this  
RX705

Carbon Wrapping

So I was looking around on ebay and saw this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-27M-X-30M-Carbon-Fiber-Wrap-Roll-Car-Detailing-/180550052738?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a099f2b82#ht_3432wt_906

and I remember being good at contacting my school books, so surely its the same sort of princple, just on a bigger scale. Has anyone Carbon wrapped their car? Experiences?? Tips?

Haha funny you say that! I have a car that comes into my work regularly for servicing, it's a chinese guy in a white Toyota echo and seems like a bit of a car enthusiast and has his bonnet carbon wrapped and omg it looks s**t. You can see all the joins and air bubbles. Something so big like a bonnet etc you eould need a sheet of carbon wrap a bit wider than 1.27m for it to look real (no joins)! Obviously he's not so good at doing it but something a bit smaller like mirrors or intercooler piping wouldn't be so hard to wrap!

Haha funny you say that! I have a car that comes into my work regularly for servicing, it's a chinese guy in a white Toyota echo and seems like a bit of a car enthusiast and has his bonnet carbon wrapped and omg it looks s**t. You can see all the joins and air bubbles. Something so big like a bonnet etc you eould need a sheet of carbon wrap a bit wider than 1.27m for it to look real (no joins)! Obviously he's not so good at doing it but something a bit smaller like mirrors or intercooler piping wouldn't be so hard to wrap!

that guy use to go to my school :lol:

does he have little drift cars on his dash?

He sure does.  he's got an orange s15 and something else on the dash lol!

Haha I've seen this car a few times. My first thought was that he actually used contact school book cover stuff

Way harder than you think, especially if you want the pattern to line up.

it would look good, but as neil_se said it will b preety hard

easier said then done.

when i was at Tokyo auto salon this year i watched the guys at the 3M booth do a bonnet and it looked mint but they where pro's doin it

when i was at Tokyo auto salon this year i watched the guys at the 3M booth do a bonnet and it looked mint but they where pro's doin it

Note: "pros"

Neil (two posts up) done his s14 only black but looks mental!

www.carx.com.au

Kevin does full car wrapping. Matte black is very popular and it looks mint.

my cuz made his own radiator heat shield and put that carbon wrapping over it.. lookd pretty good.. the material he used was lighter than carbon so even better!

yeah well, surprisingly was more technical than first thought. Forget doing it if you have no patience.

I did it last month to the centre console & door power window switches of my 180, as the bland plastic was piss boring to look at. Was a good cheap project & am happy enough with results. It ain't carbon fibre & would only trick the dumbest ppl, but it is a nice finish that reflects light & has a bit of texture to it.

takes time to get right, I used a heat gun but a hair dryer is supposed to work too. the material is amazing as if u stuff it, bubbles etc, light heat will remove it easy & u can try again and again. i intended to try it first on interior & then if successful go and apply to roof. forget doing large sections yourself, go to a window tint place, & they could use the same technique to apply. I gave up on the idea as I dont trust it to last in the sun (even though 3M claim 7 years outdoor use..) bullshit.

some work i did. it's very easy with a heat gun as it can stretch around curves etc. you can even clear coat over it once done to make it shine.

247463_10150201775212344_659412343_7360938_6815952_n.jpg

252508_10150201775542344_659412343_7360947_3281896_n.jpg

224201_10150183153612344_659412343_7191372_3996970_n.jpg

^ fair recon i might give it a shot! Interior looks so dull but thos pics have inspired me!! Haha where'd you get it from?

Sign shops will do it, window tinting uses a different heat forming technique and skills (shrinking rather than stretching).

Has anyone had success on doing this process over the door fabric material where the handle is?? Would look really good with a coat of clear on top

my cuz made his own radiator heat shield and put that carbon wrapping over it.. lookd pretty good.. the material he used was lighter than carbon so even better!

thumbsup.gif

Has anyone had success on doing this process over the door fabric material where the handle is?? Would look really good with a coat of clear on top

just get full carbon door skins, they arent that much

Has anyone hear wrapped an entire car?

Blue to black (just the front bar left).

IMG_0264.jpg

c8a82f57.jpg

If you do it get the 3M Di-Noc, i have used it to wrap the integra type r front lip when i put it on my S15 and a few interior bits. Its fairly easy to use and sticks well, the first time i used it was a bit hard but you soon get the hang of it and there are plenty of instruction videos on youtube.

apparently you could aslo clear coat the vinyl too

I'm intending to wrap my car shortly. So far as I can tell as long as you prep the surface correctly (i.e clean and free of grease dirt etc) and take your time it shouldn't be too hard and it seems like fairly forgiving stuff.

I've wrapped heaps of things in it.

Full 350z wrap & Vito van too.

Few tricks to it, but I can only recommend using quality materials not your eBay junk.