Sign in to follow this  
GFUNK

15a welder on 10a socket?

As said before power circuits in houses are gonna 2.5mm twin and earth. So they'll take 20A fine. Just make sure your not loading up the circuit at the same time.

And cambers your welder did not f**k up because you plugged it into a 10A outlet.

The only difference with 15amp circut is that it's dedicated to only one power outlet, wheras 10amp may have many running of it. I simply have a 15amp ext lead with a filed down end. I just don't run anything else in the house when i'm using it.

since my shed is on its own single phase switch board, is it ok to run the houses power as per normal whilst using it?

also is it ok to run the shed's roof lights lights on whilst using the 15A?

this is assuming i run a 10A - 15A converting lead

You will have a min of 4mm mains going to the first socket in your shed, from your house's meter board, where it then breaks out to 1.5mm for lights and 2.5mm for power, due to the mains being bigger then 2.5mm it will be fine to weld and have your lights on..

So yes... lol

As said before power circuits in houses are gonna 2.5mm twin and earth. So they'll take 20A fine. Just make sure your not loading up the circuit at the same time.

And cambers your welder did not f**k up because you plugged it into a 10A outlet.

Do explain why then?

It burned out 2 of my MIG's, plus when I use my ARC welder, the breaker goes off as soon as I use it, if its not the power, what else could it be?

Earth leakage somewhere? Maybe I haven't earthed the welders properly?

It doesn't happen now, the wires were all changed because we built another garage.

The only difference with 15amp circut is that it's dedicated to only one power outlet, wheras 10amp may have many running of it. I simply have a 15amp ext lead with a filed down end. I just don't run anything else in the house when i'm using it.

since my shed is on its own single phase switch board, is it ok to run the houses power as per normal whilst using it?

If you have a sub board in the shed it might be worth getting a dedicated 15A socket installed, what size is the current circuit breaker and how many power points in the shed? if its a 20A and you have less than 4 outlets you can add a 15A socket to that circuit.

I could help you out with this if your in melb, would not be expensive.

Do explain why then?

It burned out 2 of my MIG's, plus when I use my ARC welder, the breaker goes off as soon as I use it, if its not the power, what else could it be?

Earth leakage somewhere? Maybe I haven't earthed the welders properly?

It doesn't happen now, the wires were all changed because we built another garage.

Perhaps you had a low supply voltage problem causing excess current to be drawn? broken or high impedance neutral could do this.

15am plug have a bigger earth pin for a reason, that reason is fault current how Do you know the wiring isnt 1.5mm not 2.5mm?

15am plug have a bigger earth pin for a reason, that reason is fault current how Do you know the wiring isnt 1.5mm not 2.5mm?

Power circuits must be 2.5mm minimum.

has nothing to do with fault current, its just a "key" to prevent usage with a 10A socket.

I know they must be.. But there not always 2.5 I know this cos Iam a sparky..

I'm a sparky, some of the replies in this thread make my head head hurt.

As you wont be using it 24/7 as your only borrowing it, you'll be fine mate, otherwise id suggest looking at a dedicated 15a circuit if you were going to be using it constantly depending on the difficulty involved in installation. Just try not to load the circuit with other appliances as it may trip breakers/smoke fuses otherwise

and to the guy saying 4mm to your first outlet and then breaking into 1.5/1mm and 2.5mm for a mixed power and lighting circuit, noooot how it happens broo, you have to protect for the maximum current capacity of the smallest cable witin the circuit and therefore you would be using 4mm on a 10A breaker because of the 1.5mm used in the lighting circuit

edit: wait just re read that and saw you said it will hit your switchy first, sorry mate my mistake

I know they must be.. But there not always 2.5 I know this cos Iam a sparky..

So we are talking about a non compliant installation? of course this can happen which just reinforces the fact that you should consult a sparky before grinding your plug down and shoving it into a 10A socket!

If you have a sub board in the shed it might be worth getting a dedicated 15A socket installed, what size is the current circuit breaker and how many power points in the shed? if its a 20A and you have less than 4 outlets you can add a 15A socket to that circuit.

I could help you out with this if your in melb, would not be expensive.

cheers man, it was just an eoi but i'll keep you in mind when i get a proper mig (: atm i just have a pos gasless 10a mig