Sign in to follow this  
K-man

how to enter a product key for XP?

I recently bought a used laptop of a guy from the net and after configuring it to accept windows updates, now the thing is telling me it may be counterfit copy of windows and when I click to resolve the issue it sends me to windows website to buy a new copy.

The thing is, this PC has a security sticker on it with a product key number and I want to enter than number so it will fix this but I cant find anywhere to do it. So my questions,

1, How can I enter the product number for windows XP (not 7 or vista, they are done different)?

2,Having windows constantly tell me its fake, does this setting slow down the speed of my OS? Everything feels slower recently?

Unless you want to reformat your computer you will have to do something along these lines

TRY THIS FIRST

Click on Start menu and then Run.

1. Type the following command and click OK.

%systemroot%system32oobemsoobe.exe /a

2. When the Windows Product Activation window appears, choose "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows" and then click Next.

3. Click Change Product Key, Type your new, valid Windows XP product key in the New key text boxes and then click Update.

4.You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your Windows XP

5. Press update and close window

6. Restart your PC

IF THAT DOESNT WORK TRY THIS

"If you want to Use that Legal Serial Key or Product Key without Reinstalling your present Windows XP, then here is a Nice Tutorial to change the XP Serial key without reinstalling:

1. Click on Start menu & Press on "Run".

2. In the text box in the Run window, type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor program.

3. Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > WindowsNT > Current Version > WPAEvents.

4. In the results that appear in the window on the right, locate OOBETimer.

5. Right-click on the OOBETimer entry and choose Modify from the resulting menu.

6. Change at least one digit in the Value data text box and click OK. This will deactivate Windows XP.

7. Close Registry Editor.

8. Again Click on Start menu and then Run.

9. Type the following command and click OK.

%systemroot%system32oobemsoobe.exe /a

10. When the Windows Product Activation window appears, choose "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows" and then click Next.

11. Click Change Product Key, Type your new, valid Windows XP product key in the New key text boxes and then click Update.

12. If you're taken back to the previous screen and prompted, choose Remind me later.

13. Restart your PC"

i found a small app aaaages ago that let me change my product key. i've got a feeling it was a slimmed down version of the above though...

all else fails though, you can enter it when you format your computer. that being said, it would probably be easier for you to just disable the Genuine Advantage rubbish. google will help you there :)

+1 on above. Don't know why i got the non genuine popup anyway :whistle: