Sign in to follow this  
RoDavy

Boost Gauge installing problems S15

So I'm installing a Boost Gauge, and having a little problems finding out which line to put the 'T' piece into.

Here is a picture. is it that one. I'm beginning to think the pipe I need is on the other side of where that pipe goes into, up more

post-72500-13059568864394_thumb.jpg

I've removed that rubber pipe thing to get a good picture, the picture is from head on overlooking the car.

Am I right, or am I way off?

please excuse the non-technical language used.

Edited by RoDavy

I put the t-piece between the inlet manifold and the fuel pressure Reg.

post-72500-13059633286421_thumb.jpg

as in this picture, the hose is like 5cm long, I've read about people using the hose into the BOV, but (I regret saying this) I can't find the f'ing thing or any other hose.

or can I use this one, this hose goes to the black cylinder thing under the fuse box, and on a side note, is the thing under the fuse box the stock BOV?

post-72500-13059651854168_thumb.jpg

Really annoying.

Edited by RoDavy

Yeah the stock Bov is under the fuse box. The vucuum line that goes to your Bov should do the trick. Anything on the inlet side of your throttle body

DSC00853.jpg

or can I use this one, this hose goes to the black cylinder thing under the fuse box, and on a side note, is the thing under the fuse box the stock BOV?

You just answered your own question. You can use the vacuum hose that connects to your bov under the fuse box or any other vacuum hose from the intake side.

So, I connected to that hose in the last pic, its a thicker hose and goes into the BOV, it does give a reading like it should do, but I don't think the gauge is right now, cause its moving up to reflect the boost, but its doing it in the negative vacuum area, not at 0 and up in the boost part.

I've also go a manual boost controller, so would this installation need to be different because of that?

and I'm not completely useless, I'm much better at the electrical wiring/stereo install side of things.

Edited by RoDavy

On idle, the boost gauge should be in vacuum. Mine idles around -17. Once your on boost, the needle should be above 0 (atmospheric pressure) and peak on a reading depending on how much boost your car is running.

yeah, its not working properly, I give up. The gauge I bought from justjap, but they sent me the different one that the one I wanted anyway, so I'll send it back.

Soon as I get this sorted, I'm doing a write-up, with heaps of pictures, with a big red circle that says 'that one there --->'

I assuming when people say connect into the hose going into the BOV your talking about the small one connected to the top right???

This is not the way to do it. If the plastic T cracks or the line to the gauge develops a leak it will affect the fuel pressure, not good.

This is not the way to do it. If the plastic T cracks or the line to the gauge develops a leak it will affect the fuel pressure, not good.

Where did you hook your guage to dude.. im about to one in also and wanna know the best spot to tap into??

Im a bit confused. If you already have a OEM boost gauge on your s15. Is the swap to a after market gauge as easy as just replacing it? (plug n play)

Sorry to butt in on your archeological thread revival. :D

I have a JDM S15 spec R with stock A-pillar boost gauge. I'm assuming the boost pressure sensor for the gauge is the box attached to the drivers side strut tower. In my car the vacuum line from the pressure sensor is connected with a T-piece into the BOV actuator line (down next to the battery). However in the diagram below it appears to be connected to the cold pipe upstream of the throttle body. I'm wondering if my car is tweaked or that is standard for JDM. The only difference I can see is what the gauge will read when you lift off the throttle. Upstream of the TB the gauge will show a boost spike, but downstream it will show a return to vacuum. Maybe it was moved for personal preference. It's also a red silicon hose so it has been fiddled with in the past.

boost_vacuum_tconnect.jpg

as stated above i would NOT tee into your FPR (fuel Pressure Regulator) line

easiest thing to do is piss off all the EGR gear and carbon canister and use one of the now free lines on your manifold, just make sure u don't use the ones with the check valve (non return valve, one way valve, whatever u want to call it). I'd also remove ur wastegate control solenoid while your there

if your less dodgey plumb in as below (green is new line, red means remove, green line leadint to nowhere is boost gauge line)

untitled.JPG

Edited by 2FST4U.R33

^^ you probably want a pressure source for the waste gate actuator tho :lol:. Also a carbon canister is worth keeping if you can.