Sign in to follow this  
boss

BodyShape!

Hi guys,

My Background:

I’m 22 years old, 183cm (6ft tall) and my weight is 72kg. I was an overweight teenager, my maximum weight than was 97 kg. In late 2007 I decided to do the Kokoda Track which I completed in 2008 (it took 6 days). I had 6 to 9 months of training and my weight was around 80-83kgs before I went. I’ve been around that weight up until 2- 3 months ago, it seems that still I’m losing weight (I’m 72kg). The reason why I’m losing weight is that I’ve changed my diet, I’m eating healthy fresh foods compared to a few months ago when I was eating unhealthy foods (take out, sweets, chocolate ect). For the past 1.5 to 2 years, I’ve been using the home gym nearly every day for around 1 hour (was originally 30mins), I’m doing cardio and I’ve started doing strength training as well. The reason why I do a lot of cardio is that I fear that I might put on the weight again.

One of the reasons why I go to the gym is to try to lose the fat around the abdominal and hip area (photos are below). I think I may be becoming too skinny, maybe I should do less cardio and more strength (weight) training?

Any advice?

I've added some photo's of what my body looks like.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

You cannot isolate where you lose weight from. You should do more weight training.

Unfortunately I can't see any of the pictures, but they won't change my opinion :)

Gareth is right. Do more weights/strength training.

You look malnourished, you need to build some muscle, which will help increase your Basal Metabolic Rate, which will help you burn that excess fat off. Presto. No more 'Skinny Fat'.

Yup, agreed, Id stay away from the cardio work your doing, maybe start off with 5-10min warm up doing some cardio, but then stick to the weights mate. Also dont be afraid to put weight back on, as long as its not fatty weight then all good, just remember muscle weighs more than fat!!

Thanks for your opinion's, I appreciate it.

I've got a few questions:

How much cardio do you think I should cut out? (reduce it to 2x 30min a week? or more/less? ) yeh I get the picture I'm doing far too much cardio at the moment and I should focus on doing weight training.

Should the cardio be on the same as the weight day (so doing the weight training) or on different days? (apart from using it to warm up for the weights)

All opinions welcome......

Monday - Squat 5x5, seated cable rows 6x10, db curls 3x10 (

Tuesday - Tabata Thrusters (

Wednesday - Bench Press 5x5, seated cable rows 6x10, db curls 3x10 (

Thursday - 10 x 20m Sprints (

Friday - Deadlift 5x5, seated cable rows 6x10, db curls 3x10 (

Saturday - Military Press 5x5, seated cable rows 6x10, db curls 3x10 (

Sunday - rest

It looks like a lot but really it's not, on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat you're doing one primary exercise with 2 assistance exercises, on Tues/Thurs you're doing 4mins and 30mins of cardio.

Eat 6 meals a day.

Eat 40-50g protein with every meal.

Take 5 fish oil capsules with every meal.

Try and have the majority of your carbs for breakfast or after training.

Sleep 8hrs at night.

Multivitamin with breakfast.

Vitamin c with the meal before training.

I'm the same, skinny with a little pot belly that I can't get rid of.

I'll try that routine that you've written up Ghosty. Hopefully it works!

Vitamin c with the meal before training.

atleast 2000-3000mg daily.

Thanks Ghosty:

It looks like a good plan, it looks much better than what I’ve been doing and it take less time.

I’ve got a few questions:

So the primary exercise is Squat for Monday, Bench Press for Wednesday, Deadlift for Friday and Military Press for Saturday. So these primary exercises work different muscle groups from what I’ve read, correct? So the assistance exercise is seated cable row and db curls?

Is there any reason why you’re doing that type of cardio training on Tuesday and Thursday. So it could be any type of cardio or did you pick that type of cardio for a reason?

Boss, it has to be that type of cardio, jus try it and you'll see ;). The idea is not to kill yourself on the cardio days so that you are unable to train the day after - you still want to be fresh to train the day after but obviously the cardio in short space of time has to be effective and or purposeful, that's where tabata and the multiple short sprints come in.

Correct about seated cable row and dumbbell curls. Seated cable rows are one of the best exercies to hit your whole back without taxing the CNS much which leaves you free to lift hard and heavy on your primary exercises 2 days later. This will also leave you with a well rounded physqiue as you're training everything in the correct proportion.

Get your diet right.

Minimum 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight per day, ideally 3-4. 5-6 smalls meals per day, veggies or salad in each meal, also some natural carbs like sweet potato, some pasta or something.

Train basic compound movements. Squat, Bench press, deadlift, rows, dips, chins.

Thanks a lot everyone...

Get your diet right.

Minimum 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight per day, ideally 3-4. 5-6 smalls meals per day, veggies or salad in each meal, also some natural carbs like sweet potato, some pasta or something.

Train basic compound movements. Squat, Bench press, deadlift, rows, dips, chins.

So if I had a weight of 80kg I would need 160 grams of protein per day? that seems alot..

With these small meals, are they meant to be all balance, so same size?

Could you please explain these terms rows, dips, chins (I've got a rough idea of what they may be)

Cheers..

Get your diet right.

So if I had a weight of 80kg I would need 160 grams of protein per day? that seems alot..

Could you please explain these terms rows, dips, chins (I've got a rough idea of what they may be)

Cheers..

160g/day would be minimum. It's pretty easy to eat at least 30-40g of protein per a meal - could be as simple as having a protein shake with every meal instead of a coke. So 6 x 40g = 240g protein :thumbsup:

you know at a beginning level i don't believe in over complicating things. I am not an expert but for the effort i put in i saw some good gains and i did nothing special. I just ate more and trained hard.

If i were you i would not get hung op on numbers and special routines. Start basic and make it last. I wish i could say i did. You have much to gain and will gain much easily. Start eating more and working with basic heavy lifts i think your progress will shock yourself.

Persistence is key, because anything that is something for long enough will be a catalyst for change.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.....

Cheers..

Basically you are going to want to split it in to 6 meals a day, generally larger meal post workout, smaller meals later at night etc...

If you want an understanding of rows, dips etc, excellent site for that is

exercise directory