Sign in to follow this  
Alex Sciacca

Do you really need swaybars in a dedicated drift car?

just thought id bring this up as im am getting close to finishing my s14 and not to sure if i should use swaybars.

i no a few people that are not using swaybars but most of you guys are.

for the guys that are not using swaybars please explain why and is it a better option.

I AM ONLY DEDICATING THIS TOPIC TO THE FULLY BUILT, DRIFT ONLY, RACE CARS!!

so please tell me what you no

cheers

I'm trying to decide the same thing so will be watching closely.

If you are running stiff springs i would not run them. As you don't make full use of the independent suspension. I will not be using them in my project. But i am a noob so.....

didnt have one in the front of mine.. and only a GTR sway bar up the back. BC coilovers with uprated springs (10s and 8s from memory)

suited me fine.

best thing to do i spose in your case is put them in see how they feel, ad try some laps with the links disconnected. if you like it. ditch the sway bars.

I see it as, if you run your car low and stiff suspension then no swaybars would help the suspension run more independently. Could be completely off the mark but that's what I see it as.

i run no rear sway bar.

8/6 springs with BC ER's. i found that straight away it gave me so much more control when at large angle. meaning backwards entries were more repeatable then before.

i have also been hearing to ditch the rear and keep the front, is that the go or ditch them all together?

Thought I might add my two cents on this, with my missus car, we put in the front sway bar and drove it and then put in the rear a few days later, drove it last night and noticed now more than ever ( car is an NA CA with an open diff, yeh I know ewwww) but noticed from the one wheel that was spinning it was breaking traction easier, so the car is letting more weight off the outer rear wheel, so I think it could be beneficial not running one, as has been said above to help the suspension follow the road better, and possibly making it more predictable

I see it as, if you run your car low and stiff suspension then no swaybars would help the suspension run more independently. Could be completely off the mark but that's what I see it as.

looks like a recipe for a slow car TBH body roll would be very high

But if your running it low and stiff springs I don't see it having much body roll.

because the roll centre will be a foot underground. will be gaining positive camber on the front on compression too.

Mmmm I dunno I guess I'll leave them in and play around on the track.

try raising the car so that the lower control arms are lower on the outside compared to the inside. then try dumped and tell me what is better....

I know what's gonna be better. But who wants a car that's "high".

don't knock it till you have tried it. or just continue living in your own world where low and stiff = better

I'm not living in any world. I'm just putting points forward. I like how my daily is set up now. But the track car will have power so will want more grip.

I found the car was instantly beter with out the front sway bar.

I think they are another grip racing theory that needs to be rethought for drifting. When the front wheels are turned so far in drifting (45deg+) I think the sway bar starts to fight the steering. With castor the leading wheel comes down and pushes the suspension on that side up which puts pressure through the sway bar to the other side. I found this realy efected braking with big angle (60-90deg to the road). With out the bar I had alot more control over braking.

I would also asume this would be worse depending on wheel scrub radius so Im at the moment trying to reduce mine as much as possible

I found the car was instantly beter with out the front sway bar.

I think they are another grip racing theory that needs to be rethought for drifting. When the front wheels are turned so far in drifting (45deg+) I think the sway bar starts to fight the steering. With castor the leading wheel comes down and pushes the suspension on that side up which puts pressure through the sway bar to the other side. I found this realy efected braking with big angle (60-90deg to the road). With out the bar I had alot more control over braking.

I would also asume this would be worse depending on wheel scrub radius so Im at the moment trying to reduce mine as much as possible

have you just removed the front? what about the rear?

at the moment the rear is still on the car but I plan to take a link off it at the next track day I go to. Taking off the front part way through a track day was amazing. Like night and day the way the front changed. Im going to do the rear at the the track so I can tell back to back since it can be months between drives.

You only need to take a link off one side so even if you only have stock bars on the car you can disable them quickly between sesions to see how you prefer it.

i'll try disconnecting a front link next time im out... kinda worried the extra roll might make tyre contact guard on lock tho.

i think due to the nature of drifting there is no 100% correct answer to swaybars being needed or not. it will vary from person to person depending on car and driving style. some people will be happier with a car that has a little body roll just as a lot of people seem to be happier with a car that is so low that the suspension geometry is way out of wack.

Ive driven with a few different combos, s13 with front but no rear felt good and was predictable with just Kei office 8/6's no other suspension mods, Ran an s14 with no sway bars, Np knuckles and alot of other suspension upgrades this thing was exceptional very easy and lazy to drive even with big angles, Another s13 i have driven recently has whiteline front and rear sway bars with knuckles and a solid bushings in the rear, this was extremely sensitive to drive and so much fun, point and shoot style of driving but was a fair bit harder to drift than the previous 2 setups.All in all i dont think there is gains made either way from running them or not, just what kinda style of driving you want when drifting

I always laugh at people who use stiff springs to reduce bodyroll.

Springs only hold the car up off the ground.

Check out the Japs haha some of them run into the 12/14kg Springs!

Altho completely different style of driving to anything anybody here in AUS, so its not the best comparison lol.