Sign in to follow this  
buoy

3HR - Social Networking app UPDATE: It's just launched on MyPhone 1-Dec-2012!

Lol. No prob. She still has tears over william and katherine's wedding.

question about the chat thing?

why can't the unknown people join in as well... (like a forum)

i mean, your all going to meet up anyways right?

Yeah I guess they can... unsure.gif maybe thats something that should be put in there. lol.

or even, maybe everyone should be able to see everyone in the do it section, since you're all going to the same place. *goes off to look at code on a saturday night*

EDIT: It's done! Check it out! :yes: (not the chat, but you can now see everyone going in the do it section... even people you don't know or aren't friends with..........yet).

look, i don't know... i'm just offering feedback

i have no idea if my suggestions are valid, useful or possible

When I am viewing who wants to eat (although any activity would be the same in this case) it tells me that 3 friends want to eat. Technically I'm one of those people though. Roy, firechild, and myself. So it should say 2 friends want to eat.

^ doh! thanks for pointing that out. that's prob why I originally had it as "people" instead of "friends". lol. 3 people want to eat sounds more appropriate. I changed it yesterday to "friends" cos it sounded better.

........ mellow.gif ok i'll change it back. i mean i'm changing it to say 2 friends if you're in it. i haven't really "tested" this properly but i just put it in. it might break somewhere... who knows lol.

update: just finished putting in MD5 hashing + salted passwords. just making sure everything's running properly before I pull the plug on the old authentication method.

:huh: Now it has an incorrect count...

photo.PNG

And that event that I made for China Town... No one seemed to care to join me (devvo :(), but it also never moved to the do it section. Maybe that's because no one wanted to do it? But it's still coming up on the plan it screen even though it's passed the event time of 3pm, as you can see.... I hope that makes sense.

^ yeah... it's broken :lol: i did a quick fix and it's giving a wrong count if you're previewing. i'll try and fix it right now. i got to put in a more specific set of rules before it subtracts one from the tally.

On closer inspection, you want to eat, yet you do not appear in the list. Probably because your choice was made more than 3hrs ago and I have somewhere in the code that kicks you off the active list... but it's sunday and my brain is dead so i'm just throwing that one to the wind. BUT that is the reason why the count isn't accurate. you want to eat, you should be on the list, you aren't, so it subtracted one (which should have been you) from the list. aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway....

and yeah, if nobody joins your event, it doesn't make it to the do section :lol: i even have some code that would send you an email. something like "Bad news: Your event failed miserably..." or something less dramatic than that, but during one of the first discussion meetings that was dropped hard. People don't like being given bad news so we just, you know whistle.gif sweep that event under the carpet and just not talk about it. kinda like US foreign policy..... keep quiet about the failures and everyone stays happy.

edit: i changed the wording back to "people". it's just easier and keeps the count consistent.

Some of the first passwords in MD5 are trickling into the database. they look pretty impressive. I have no idea what the actual password is but it is looking ok.

here is one example:

Password md5 hash:

821410bbbcae3347f56b76d3bda06f43

Password Salt:

aba7c7f5b573e65b9c106a64ce992058

... beats the hell out of seeing "pencil" in the password field, or even worse..... "pass123". dry.gif lol.

People don't like being given bad news so we just, you know whistle.gif sweep that event under the carpet and just not talk about it.

The main reason that there is no dislike button on facebook. Will never happen. It doesn't bring a positive attitude to the table.

"pass123". dry.gif lol.

....come on, who wants to own up to that one? :lol:

guys......... those of you that were having trouble using firefox, please give it another shot now.

i think it should work. hopefully on opera browser too.

Just did a few things to harden it the f**k up.

SQL-injection mitigation... and then, no more MD5 hashing.

SHA256 :yes:

shades.gif

sha256yeah.png

Hey there. I'm just finishing off this hello world app in android. got the sdk. got eclipse. installed everything. got the emulator running - even got the code to compile! Drugs_0541.gif but now the penultimate step........ how do you RUN the thing on the emulator?!?!!?

it says it's moved the compiled code over to the virtual device... then what? i'm still seeing the default screen (the screnshot just has the web browser open, but it wouldn't budge from the home screen before that).

am i doing something wrong?

edit: found it in the packages list. it was actually running..... it just wasn't doing anything. so i still have to figure out how to make it "do" something... namely, display a webpage.

android-stuck.png

Outlook express!

I thought you were cool buoy

:(

I am cool. I use thunderbird- just not on that machine which is actually not my machine. It's a workers machine.

Anyone?!?!

Disclaimer: I'm still hacking at my first app, but been at it for a few weeks. This may be correct or completely wrong! :lol:

What does Logcat say in Eclipse? You don't have logging enabled in your app, but logcat should still at least log the fact that your application attempted to load. If you want proper debugging, add this to your main activity:

package threehr.com;

import android.app.Activity;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.util.Log;

@StateMachine
public class hellowebviewdemo extends Activity
{

/** Called with the activity is first created. */
   @Override
   public void onCreate(Bundle icicle)
   {
       super.onCreate(icicle);

Log.v(TAG, "onCreate: E");
       setContentView(R.layout.main);
       Log.v(TAG, "onCreate: X");
   }

private static final String TAG = "test";
}

From what I can tell, you've got nothing invoking the webview command. I'm guessing it would need to be wrapped in onCreate if you want it to invoke as soon as the activity is launched (?)

Either way, I'd try adding an extra step. Add a button and stick the webview in there. That'll at least tell you whether or not the Activity is successfully launching. After that, you can replace the button with a timer so it happens automatically (like a splash page).

EDIT: Also, is the correct activity listed as the start in Androidmanifest.xml

<activity android:name=".hellowebviewdemo"
                 android:label="@string/app_name">
           <intent-filter>
               <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
               <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
           </intent-filter>
       </activity>

Have you installed an Android platform into your SDK yet? Also it can take a few minutes to emulate.

update: you can now login via facebook.

:thumbsup: cheers.

Oh, I just remembered that you'd need to request internet access in your androidmanifest.xml file.

<uses-permission
       android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />

Just found out it'll take a lot more than webview to make the app work "inside" a wrapper. I can enable javascript and capture the onclick event to re-issue it within the webview window, but webview doesn't process iframes and there are several iframes that do some equivalent ajax shit which, well, just doesn't cut the mustard.

So................. might as well just write an android app that calls the web browser as soon as it starts up. 10 liner. So I abandoned the android app for now. I'll just organise payment for an iphone and android app to "launch" the web browser. nothing more.

But in the future, some further detailed integration can be done with a few activities views in android and whatever the equivalent is in iphone sdk. the database is working. the logic code is there and i can create an xml parser or json output api to allow the phone native apps to communicate and do their shit.

But that's later. For now, I'm just glad the app is in an initial finished state and is being used by actual people now *phew*.

:thumbsup: yes!!! above and beyond what I thought the app would eventually be.

LOL, very similar to mine. It was gonna be a simple browser for an SQLite database I built, with a homescreen activity, a list for each section (1 activity) and a results page to display the contects. Then I learned that a lot of database transactions can hurt the battery and I should always go with XML whenever possible. Yay!

So I've got dozens of activities and arrays for the menu system. At the moment I have one activity per listview (with an array assigned to each list), but I've had the brain fart that I could have the array name as a variable (intent) sent by the previous activity. I'm going to experiment with that today and see if I can shrink the bloat.

,,, as you can tell, I am a complete noob at coding, still! :lol:

all i know is activity, intent, content provider... and i forgot the last one unsure.gif and that was from the introductory primer. so you are way wayyyyy ahead of me lol.

UPDATE: Hi guys - just wanted to let you know what's going on with the 3HR app:

the core - thanks to you guys - has been tested and looks pretty robust. That's stayed relatively the same.

The changes have been to the UI. got rid of horiz scrolling on android, made it compatible with a host of devices. even runs on my n95 :yes: lol. other tweaks - got it some iOS style icons so you can "add" it to your home screen like a web app. using the full canvas now so everything goes to the edge of the screen. using some scroll tricks to push the address bar off the screen at each refresh. screens now "resize" themselves to whatever res your device may be - so it stretches for full screen PC browsers and for tablet devices like the ipad and ipad2.

the "website" for it has a few beauty shots of 3hr running on ipod, ipad, iphone devices. looks the good i say... and have started to get some interest from the good ol web-o-sphere with some blogs looking to review the web app etc, etc. good times... unfortunately had to shelve the android/ios plans for now. it's a full web app at the moment and that is apparently what should be done first (as in best practices :) ) so i was serendipitously on the right track. once the web app is useful and robust, native apps for specific devices could be explored. when i read that i tended to agree lol!

ipod-screenshot-1.jpg

Well done! Now to just find some friends who will use it.. haha

Well, here's some news:

The Web App :

- Can now be added as an "icon" on your iDevice and is also comatible with Android 2.3 and up.

- Is now available in Google Chrome's Web App Store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oampciigmmkihfinpffikbdmjfikepil?hl=en-US :yes: ohh yes.

- Has been recently reviewed by WebApp-somethingorrather... they gave it a 9.8/10 :thumbsup: which is pretty good for an app that can still do with a lot of improving.

- The supporting site ( www.threehr.com ) now has facebook connect, facebook like and activity update streams which are (1. 5 hours behind the actual stream... so you don't get stalkers rocking up to your stuff lol) and aggregate statistics.

The Investors:

Meeting with vestors... have agreed to fund a video spot explaining the app (for youtube) and an advertisement with actors to showcase the "use case" of the app.

Liaising with some universities to launch it in the university paper and offering incentives for university people to use it (for eg study groups at the local bar) where we provide discount vouchers... ie they use the app to organise a 10-person study group, they get 10% off their purchase at the bar, etc,et c.

Guess that's all for now. Cheers. unsure.gif

Damn awesome news! Great rating and good to hear about the talks with uni. I'm starting to get email notifications again about events from you buoy...are these still test events or the real thing? I'm assuming they're actual events which is why I'm ignoring them lol