Sign in to follow this  
buoy

3HR - Social Networking app UPDATE: It's just launched on MyPhone 1-Dec-2012!

Bug report: gps button kept jumping to the left of screen. Then back to centre randomly (android, SGS)

Antonio also said the status pre text buttons would be too small/hard to use whilst driving. I agree

wow... so many more posts since I last logged in (only a few hrs ago) thumbsup.gif glad to get all this feedback from you all.

ok, i'll work my way through the posts.

^ if you initially want to eat, then you see something in movies, you are in "preview" mode only - so you have to "change your mind" --- i hope that's the situation anyway.

Is there a way to have the preview mode the default view? If this thing takes off and you've got quite a few friends, you might see 4 votes on the 'watch a movie' icon, and 3 votes on the 'go shopping' icon, and maybe 2 votes on the 'have coffee' option. I might be open to what I want to do, so I might want to see who's doing what before casting my vote. If I was designing it, I would probably make it so that you click on the icon, and then press a button to 'do this' or 'vote' or whatever you want to call it.

Follow me yeah?

yeah, this is how it originally started. this behaviour was changed cos of a few things:

1. if you wanted to eat but wanted to "see" what other people are doing, then the "1" (or "you") follows whatever you press and its crazy to see numbers jumping all over the place.

2. each time you changed your mind in the older system, it created a new entry in the database.... so people just clicking through the various categories are actually doing database-writes... just in normal browsing with a few people we got 300+ entries in the wants table... :S if the app grows even remotely larger this will become a big bottleneck to the performance, disk space etc... so now, the behaviour is like this:

you pick something, and it STICKS! :) but you can "preview" what others are doing. this does many things. it

1. keeps your decision in one place... but allows you to look around. this also looks good because you can put your want down as eat or go see a movie but can still look at what others are doing *without* removing your want and confusing other viewers that are looking around also.

2. you can preview as much as you want, you aren't inserting new records into the database. excess data waste is at a minimum and everyone's happy - ie the app can grow very large and the server can still be relatively calm and not as disk-thrashy or overly large with useless data.

On another matter....

When you press 'Ive changed my mind', it doesn't seem to clear your vote till you click on another activity. Is that meant to be the way things work?

I guess the app assumes that you still want to do something and doesn't think to totally cancel your vote. Maybe have another button to cancel the vote?

Yes you're right. maybe there should be something for cancelling altogether. still........ it may not cause any harm just sitting there, but you do have a point.

ps. Now that firechild has made a suggestion to see a movie, does he have to do something else to confirm it so we can microtweet our status?

the timer needs to run out first. Then we move to the "do it page"

I assume this is to allow others time to join/vote

yeah. it originally would remove itself from the plan it page, but that prevented latecomers from joining in.... so it actually stays on the plan it page for a further 60 minutes so late comers can just join in. i've left it like that cos it seems to serve a purpose. there doesn't seem to be any other app like this so we have to make up these bs rules as we go along i guess :lol:

So from this last event, we've (well, firechild did and I agree) come up with the following needs/wants...

- Chat/Lounge where all attending people can chat. Microtweets should be kept purely for your current status/eta. If you want to talk shit between each other then you could do it in the lounge.

- A refresh button. I have also been thinking an automatic refresh across the whole app with 2 minute or so intervals.

all good ideas - thanks. yeah maybe an event chat or even a chat in the "lounge" is a good idea. that way you can chat with the people wanting to see a movie vs the people wanting to go shopping.

I have a management issue, though. you see, you may see 3 or 4 people in the lounge area, whereas someone else will login and they may see 10 people. now those 10 people may be 10 completely different people, or there could be a few people in common. so........... i'm not sure how to program a chat or whether the chat would make any sense. if you knew antonio and i didn't, for example, and you wrote: hey antonio, want to watch blah-blah-blah...??? and i'm reading the chat and i'm scratching my head.

also... what if the app grows and there are 500 people in the watch-a-movie chat room... who can each see about 5 people out of the 500. that would be a nightmare to work out on this end lol.

WHAT ABOUT *brainstorm* you can click on their names in the waiting room and it automatically takes you to instant messenger chat??? unsure.gif will that work?

---

for the refresh thing. that's also a good idea. may even chuck that one in... at the moment, everything is non-refreshing except for instant messenger. i don't know how sensitive people are to bandwidth charges. if you accidentally leave your smartphone on that page, it's going to sip your data and some people may not like that. this way, they can (as i have with my ipod touch) have safari always on the want page... but it does nothing unless i interact with it.

i've had my android phone accidentally on the instant messenger for an hour or so in the background.......... battery drains quite quickly :( and i noticed it eventually cos my phone got quite hot in my pocket. the app is quite bandwidth hungry to boot - it will sip 40k per minute... 2.4 megabytes an hour.......................... or thereabouts. for people on 50meg data plans that may piss them off you think? (especially if i get the wants page to auto-refresh)... and if they by chance leave their browser on that page overnight or for a few days.... bye bye dataplan allowance for the month.

-----------------------

Good news: The Google Maps and GPS integration has been finished.

This is how it works.

You enter in your GPS location in the do it section........ then, you can click on "View Google Maps" and it will show you your location (centered) then all your active friends who have also entered in GPS data are there. I've allowed for all existing GPS data. For those over 3hrs old, I've put in "3+ hours ago" for now............. but eventually they wont' show. Everyone's GPS location will be visible for a customisable time.... for example 60 minutes or 2 hours or 3 hours..... you will be able to set it in your settings. but for now, since there is hardly any gps data and i just want to see a map filled with pins to see if it brakes, everyone's gps data that is on your friends list will be pinned on that map.

so the next time you're meeting some people in the city at darling harbour or at a football match or you got lost at the circus or royal easter show....... im them to go on threehr and hit their gps positions up :thumbsup: might come in handy in those situations. or perhaps on a car cruise shades.gif hey.................. never know................

One more thing before signing off for tonight - re the security / password system:

I am thinking of introducing a 1-pass hashing algorithm like MD5 with a touch of salt... but then again if the site really does take off and security does become an issue (cough Sony *cough*) it'll obviously be pertinent to switch to OAuth 2 anyway. so... not worth the trouble for a test platform, right?

if it takes off, it's being rewritten in php/mysql (already in mysql :P ) but php more specifically... and jimmy's suggestion about phonegap may be helpful in getting at least a token wrapping up in app-store-land... but i've read through that documentation and the framework suggests html/css/javascript as a purely client-based "installed" application - not a web application.

3hr should really stay as a web application, but could have simply an app launcher which may be simply phonegap wrapping........... and perhaps later on some dedicated iphone / android apps but this is way way wayyy down the track if this thing even takes off.

aah well.......... *goes to bed* cheers.

yeah, this is how it originally started. this behaviour was changed cos of a few things:

1. if you wanted to eat but wanted to "see" what other people are doing, then the "1" (or "you") follows whatever you press and its crazy to see numbers jumping all over the place.

2. each time you changed your mind in the older system, it created a new entry in the database.... so people just clicking through the various categories are actually doing database-writes... just in normal browsing with a few people we got 300+ entries in the wants table... :S if the app grows even remotely larger this will become a big bottleneck to the performance, disk space etc... so now, the behaviour is like this:

you pick something, and it STICKS! :) but you can "preview" what others are doing. this does many things. it

1. keeps your decision in one place... but allows you to look around. this also looks good because you can put your want down as eat or go see a movie but can still look at what others are doing *without* removing your want and confusing other viewers that are looking around also.

2. you can preview as much as you want, you aren't inserting new records into the database. excess data waste is at a minimum and everyone's happy - ie the app can grow very large and the server can still be relatively calm and not as disk-thrashy or overly large with useless data.

I don't know if you understand what I was saying 100%... I get what you mean with the huge amount of database entries and agree that it wouldn't be feasible when the app gains momentum.

Just hear me out... If you entered the 'Plan it' section in a preview mode to begin with, then I couldn't see that it would be causing a problem with database entries as you're not selecting anything yet. Once you have checked through the various activities to see who is interested in doing what, then you can make your mark by pressing an 'interest' button or something along those lines which will then create an entry in the database. If done correctly, it would create even fewer database entries in the long run.

For example...

I select 'Eat', but then have a browse in different activities. I check the movies, no one I particularly want to catch up with is watching a movie. I check who wants a coffee. Tom and Dick are having a coffee and I've been meaning to catch up with them. I press 'I've changed my mind' and press 'Have Coffee'.

At the moment, it's doing this (if I understand it correctly)

- 'Plan it' pressed

- 'Eat' activity pressed. Database entry created

- 'Watch Movie' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being active)

- 'Have Coffee' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being active)

- 'I've changed my mind' is pressed. Database entry created

- 'Have coffee' is pressed. Database entry created

Now, here's my understanding on how it would work if preview mode was by default upon entering the 'Plan it' section. (remember, this kind of thing isn't my forte, so I may be wrong)

- 'Plan it' pressed

- 'Eat' activity is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being default)

- 'Watch movie' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being default)

- 'Have coffee' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being default)

- 'Have coffee' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being default)

- 'Interested' is pressed. Database entry created

If it all works how I think it does, that is 1 database entry compared to 3 for the same outcome. Is that how you understood my explanation?

ps. Now that firechild has made a suggestion to see a movie, does he have to do something else to confirm it so we can microtweet our status?

yeah. it originally would remove itself from the plan it page, but that prevented latecomers from joining in.... so it actually stays on the plan it page for a further 60 minutes so late comers can just join in. i've left it like that cos it seems to serve a purpose. there doesn't seem to be any other app like this so we have to make up these bs rules as we go along i guess :lol:

Would it be possible to put a timer showing the time remaining till it moves to 'do it' or till it removes itself from the plan it page? You've got to remember what you said earlier...people with smart phones are dumb...and they definitely pass on their dumb thoughts in the reviews. Sometimes it might be better to include something to shut them up rather than let them rant about something that doesn't matter.

Roy, the event you created... it won't accept my vote despite me being emailed about it,

I can click on yours, click submit, it does it but does not count the vote and goes back to as if i haven't decided on anything yet.

all good ideas - thanks. yeah maybe an event chat or even a chat in the "lounge" is a good idea. that way you can chat with the people wanting to see a movie vs the people wanting to go shopping.

I have a management issue, though. you see, you may see 3 or 4 people in the lounge area, whereas someone else will login and they may see 10 people. now those 10 people may be 10 completely different people, or there could be a few people in common. so........... i'm not sure how to program a chat or whether the chat would make any sense. if you knew antonio and i didn't, for example, and you wrote: hey antonio, want to watch blah-blah-blah...??? and i'm reading the chat and i'm scratching my head.

also... what if the app grows and there are 500 people in the watch-a-movie chat room... who can each see about 5 people out of the 500. that would be a nightmare to work out on this end lol.

This wouldn't happen if the chat room/lounge was exclusive to the activity that has moved to the 'do it' page.

I whipped up a mock-up in photoshop (unemployment brings a lot of spare time)

The activity screen would have a button to enter the lounge. Also a counter to show any new messages in the lounge.

Enter Lounge.jpg

The lounge would consist of only those who are attending the activity.

lounge chat.jpg

Could be a handy feature to have.

WHAT ABOUT *brainstorm* you can click on their names in the waiting room and it automatically takes you to instant messenger chat??? unsure.gif will that work?

Isn't that a feature already? I was chatting to firechild last night via this. When you click on their name in the activity screen, it takes you to chat. (it's where I got the template to do the mock-up chat above)

for the refresh thing. that's also a good idea. may even chuck that one in... at the moment, everything is non-refreshing except for instant messenger. i don't know how sensitive people are to bandwidth charges. if you accidentally leave your smartphone on that page, it's going to sip your data and some people may not like that. this way, they can (as i have with my ipod touch) have safari always on the want page... but it does nothing unless i interact with it.

I guess we shouldn't take our 1/2GB data packs for granted and remember that some people really do have 50mb limits :) lol.

So just the instant messenger is auto-refresh at this point in time? Maybe just create a refresh button for the other pages. I noticed that if I pressed refresh on the safari browser, it wanted to resubmit a form.

Roy, the event you created... it won't accept my vote despite me being emailed about it,

I can click on yours, click submit, it does it but does not count the vote and goes back to as if i haven't decided on anything yet.

I'm having the same problem.

Seems to be fine for the event that I created though.. Got a couple of you voting for it successfully.

hey all - haven't looked at this message thread till now - work stuff. anyway...

I don't know if you understand what I was saying 100%... I get what you mean with the huge amount of database entries and agree that it wouldn't be feasible when the app gains momentum.

Just hear me out... If you entered the 'Plan it' section in a preview mode to begin with, then I couldn't see that it would be causing a problem with database entries as you're not selecting anything yet. Once you have checked through the various activities to see who is interested in doing what, then you can make your mark by pressing an 'interest' button or something along those lines which will then create an entry in the database. If done correctly, it would create even fewer database entries in the long run.

For example...

I select 'Eat', but then have a browse in different activities. I check the movies, no one I particularly want to catch up with is watching a movie. I check who wants a coffee. Tom and Dick are having a coffee and I've been meaning to catch up with them. I press 'I've changed my mind' and press 'Have Coffee'.

At the moment, it's doing this (if I understand it correctly)

- 'Plan it' pressed

- 'Eat' activity pressed. Database entry created

- 'Watch Movie' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being active)

- 'Have Coffee' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being active)

- 'I've changed my mind' is pressed. Database entry created

- 'Have coffee' is pressed. Database entry created

Now, here's my understanding on how it would work if preview mode was by default upon entering the 'Plan it' section. (remember, this kind of thing isn't my forte, so I may be wrong)

- 'Plan it' pressed

- 'Eat' activity is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being default)

- 'Watch movie' is pressed. No database entry (due to preview mode being default)

- 'Interested' is pressed. Database entry created

If it all works how I think it does, that is 1 database entry compared to 3 for the same outcome. Is that how you understood my explanation?

Ah yeah I see what you mean. Many people have suggested this recently. This has one problem: Nobody selected anything ever. It's the dancefloor problem. Nobody wants to get on the dancefloor if there isn't anyone on the dancefloor already.

So, to get people "on" the dancefloor you either make it compulsory or you simply make the entire area the dance floor. So what I did was force people to do something - anything. That way you won't run in to the problem of 5 people looking and nobody doing anything. i wasn't getting the yellow numbers above the blue boxes *shrugs* they just werent sticking. this way i see combos happening with as little as 5 friends in a friends group. before, it was 1 or 2 or 0.

but yeah, this feature can be disabled and can work the way you have described... it just makes it less able to build momentum. perhaps if the app takes off and you have people clamouring to do shit on it, we can disable that feature no worries :) but for the moment we need all the people making half-choices we can (saying you want to eat, but not saying where or when or what... well i'm calling that a half-choice. you've half chosen what you want lol).

the half choices are compulsory to make it work with a small group of people. but if at a later stage this isn't necessary then, yeah, we will drop it. :thumbsup:

this was last night? yeah... i backed out. i went to see furious 5 fast or whatever it's called... and a friend of mine already put down 8pm instead of mine which was originally set to 9:30pm in the city... so i just cancelled mine by re-casting my vote to his... so you may have gotten my email alert, but i got rid of the actual suggestion :lol: sorry. was that it?

google map window rocks!

it's accurate... let me know when we can see other people on it too!

Would it be possible to put a timer showing the time remaining till it moves to 'do it' or till it removes itself from the plan it page? You've got to remember what you said earlier...people with smart phones are dumb...and they definitely pass on their dumb thoughts in the reviews. Sometimes it might be better to include something to shut them up rather than let them rant about something that doesn't matter.

yeah perhaps i can change the box colour or something? to say that "this event is now in progress" so they know ... unsure.gif and perhaps lots of hints and tips scattered around the site for common things like Tip: Can't vote in this category? Click _here_ to recast your choice. (and here is the same link as "Wait... I've changed my mind" etc, etc... just to make it easier and more intuitive.

This wouldn't happen if the chat room/lounge was exclusive to the activity that has moved to the 'do it' page.

I whipped up a mock-up in photoshop (unemployment brings a lot of spare time)

The activity screen would have a button to enter the lounge. Also a counter to show any new messages in the lounge.

Enter Lounge.jpg

The lounge would consist of only those who are attending the activity.

lounge chat.jpg

Could be a handy feature to have.

That's brilliant! And the number in the bottom left corner (ID) could be what I use to string it all together :thumbsup: pretty good work there. May have to look into this, might only take a few lines of code to get working actually.

Isn't that a feature already? I was chatting to firechild last night via this. When you click on their name in the activity screen, it takes you to chat. (it's where I got the template to do the mock-up chat above)

In the Plan It area where it says you got X number of people wanting to Eat/Meet Up etc, those names don't do anything when you click on them......................... yet :thumbsup:

Ahh ok I understand why you're going down the road of compulsory interest, now that you explained it with the dancefloor scenario.

Firechild... You can see others on the map. I can see you and if I zoom out, I can see Antonio and buoy

It's nice having your social events just spring up in front of you :) i can see myself getting used to just doing multiple choice for everything from picnics to movies............ but one thing this thing isn't going to help you with..........

choices.jpg

choices! that is still a dilemma! :lol: tonight, am i going to watch the royal wedding with the missus or go watch thor :angry: OR DO BOTH THINGS!

gps works sweet!

however.... i can see people who where not involved in that specific event...

To avoid clutter, it should in my opinion avoid that... esp when 500+ ppl are on it

This app has a lot of potential. I think the main thing is getting it streamlined and easy to use for the first timers. If it seems at all confusing at the slightest, it may mean the difference between make and break. Really hope it goes well for you!

gps works sweet!

however.... i can see people who where not involved in that specific event...

To avoid clutter, it should in my opinion avoid that... esp when 500+ ppl are on it

That shouldnt be too hard if you can use that ID tag, right? Like you mentioned with the lounge..

I've been thinking about the name..the whole three hour thing. Have you thought of making it something along the lines of a 12 hour app? A lot more events are planned up to 12 hours away than in under 3 hours. Just a thought :)

I wanted 3hr.com but it was taken... and we really wanted a .com - we got 3hr.com.au but that's pretty much useless :lol:

i dunno why/how we ended up specifically with the number 3, perhaps it's a quarter of a clockface... and it's if you have some time to kill its just enough time to get your shit together and be at some event at short notice..... so..... meh.

you could still plan events up to 24hrs in advance. that's how long it can keep the do it section active before it shuts down microtweeting... so you could say at 8am, something happening at 8pm - but they'd have a 3hr countdown.

to be honest, theres lots and lots and lots of variables - as you've pointed out - that can be tweaked and changed and theres so much that can be made "better" - it's just a question of continued brainstorming, trial/error... asking for feedback, betatesting.... and thanks for betatesting btw. you guys have been the greatest beta testers :thumbsup: shit i hadn't even thought of has come from this thread.

I see I see...fair point!

So the activities stay active for 24 hours you say? I'm waiting for our moon visit to go away as we only stayed there for a few hours and then had to leave to go to work. Maybe you could include a start/finish time when creating the activity so then it can disappear from the 'Todays activity' list when it reaches the finish time. It might make things look a little more organised.

it would... i have the "history" set to 7 days and i can easily set it to something simple like 2 days... to clear the clutter. in fact, this could be something in the user's preferences. how far back do you want to see what you did? :) thats a good idea actually.

it would... i have the "history" set to 7 days and i can easily set it to something simple like 2 days... to clear the clutter. in fact, this could be something in the user's preferences. how far back do you want to see what you did? :) thats a good idea actually.

You couldn't add a user-definable time value in the creation of the event?

i showed this to a friend today (hope you don't mind)

he is a SEO and google specialist... he immediatley mentioned a feature that would be cool

if you could have people around the user "hot" or "Cold" to show their location in relation to yours.

Then you could easily see who was around you that might be interested in doing an event...

for example,

Roy wants to watch a movie

Fire_Child wants to watch a movie too and is within 15k

Antonio is on a buisness trip to *insert random town* and sees the event (or votes) are marked blue showing it's too far for him to attend.

Or,

Fire_Child sees 3 people are close to my location

Fire_Child invites close by people to join him for coffee

Not sure if i'm explaning it properly?

hahaha, in that italian one i did..

it's telling me 4 people are attending, but i only see 3

the rest of the events i've attended are accurate.

Definetly a fan of the GPS.. altho i think that needs a form of security behind it..

As i didnt login to the App at all today that i can remember but it shows my last location, Shouldnt the location only publish when the user wants it to? Otherwise, if there is a security flaw along the chain everybodys exact locations will be revealed especially if you can find the '3hours ago' to be around the normal time people who be at home from work etc etc..

Maybe a GPS co-ordinate will only show if you are in a current 'Active' event with them people, lowering the chances of people seeing what they shouldn't.. And once that event does expire if you do go into GPS you would only see yourself.. Also possibly to reduce security further if you arent even in an Event/Or your actively not needing to use the GPS it will not update.. So if somebody does get behind everything the Database itself wont show people who have the App but don't constantly use it but there phone keeps 'Auto Updating' there location without them even knowing.

Google was recently sued because of this, "The lawsuit was filed yesterday in U.S. District Court in Detroit on behalf of plaintiffs Julie Brown and Kayla Molaski, who are seeking class action status for the suit. Their lawyer, Steven Budaj, argues in the complaint that the tracking of Android owners' location "puts users at serious risk of privacy invasions, including stalking.""

Even google said the users have the ability to turn it on/off, but you know how people are they will Sue for anything if they think its a preach of something something hamburgers cheese pretzels.

/time for bed!

Last night I managed to put a few things in for GPS in the settings section. There is now a GPS timeout which will only show your location for x amount of time. Another security feature (unlike Apple's iPhone debacle) is that your previous GPS location is overwritten each time - so the app doesn't have a "history" of where you've been.

There is also a gps zoom function which will open maps at a certain zoom-level. pedestrian for close-ups (if you're trying to find people on foot - in a park, at a festival, etc), suburban - so a quick few mins by car - metropolitan - they are in your city within, say, half an hour by car, etc.

The GPS location only works when you click the GPS locate button. It works 1 time and then that's it. It will not auto-refresh. I've left it like that because 1. it could end up draining your battery, and 2. at this point in time there is just no need...... unless you want to use the app as a person tracking network. :lol:

Now, if you are friends with everyone in your friends list (assuming unsure.gif) you wouldn't mind if they knew where you were. But that's of course where I'm assuming the friends list is going to be small and personal and not grow into a 1000-strong megalist with everyone from work friends to old friends you grew up with and friends you've bumped into only once but friended so you could send that photo or tag, etc,etc................ assuming, of course, that it's going to remain as in the real world - the people you are comfortable with knowing where they are and where you are when you click the gps button.

If the maps list remains as it is - everyone that is 1. your friend, and 2. an active friend on both your end and their end, and 3. hit the GPS button within the specified timeout decided by the user at that location............ will have their GPS location come up on your map.

I can make a modified map (per event) so you could view only the people you are going to an event with......... so you could have the best of both worlds.

but i think that would ultimately not be as useful as the see-everyone map.......... what if there were 2 parties going on at the same time? on the map you'll see 2 groups of your friends huddled in 2 locations. what if the locations weren't that far apart? may prompt you to create a meet up inbetween or 1 at the other?

with all your friends using it often, you could click on your maps at 1am and see where all of your friends are spending their saturday night. some will be around a starbucks, some will be at a maccas, others will be around the city, at a pub......... so immediately this will open up more "options" to you to meet up. you could use the maps overview to see that - ohh - 6 of your friends are at the beach. why not turn that into an event? etc, etc... [ this is also assuming they are clicking on their GPS location too... lol ]

but ultimately, if you don't want a particular person to see where you are (maybe you've had a fight with your gf or something). just open your friends list and deactivate her, so you see a big red X instead of a tick. she can't see you on the gps. can't see your suggestions. can't see where you are going. all they can do is message you... but you don't have to read it. lol.

actually....... i just realised this : it's the same problem in the do it page... i just created an event for dinner tonight. it's just me, my wife and fire_child22 decided to join in for fun.

he must have joined in at the last second cos when i received the email confirming the success, it said there were 3 people. BUT she couldn't see him. she knew 3 people were going to that event but since she wasn't on his friends list and vice versa, they couldn't see each other. this would be the same problem in the chat...... so............ yeah. bummer. lol.

sorry buoy... thought we where still testing stuff :Angel:

tell your wife she looks beautiful tonight :ph34r: