Sign in to follow this  
ISL33P

My fabrication pics

Well I thought I would give this a go.

This is some of the work I get up to on weekends....I will try and post up as many pics as possible including progress pics, not just the finished product so you guys and gals can see what goes into the work I do.

I will start of with the build of a 4G63 plenum I done a few years ago completely from scratch and then I will post up some pics of some recent finished products.

Hope you enjoy them :thumb:

Cheers,

Ariel

what started off as this...

20102007383.jpg

....became this on my milling machine, all done by hand

20102007387.jpg

then I cut and bent some sheet and got some custom designed bellmouths

20102007388.jpg

which then becames this with a little massaging

20102007389.jpg

20102007394.jpg

then a bit of aluminium sheetmetal which was pressed and engraved

20102007395.jpg

....and one of these throttle bodies

20102007396.jpg

became this...

4G637.jpg

That's my "Making of a Custom Intake Manifld and plenum".

It was from back in the day whenI used to outsource all my welding.

More pics to follow....

did u ever end up getting in contact with my CNC machinist? i remember talking to u about it over PM's in the skylines australia forum

looking good Ariel

FWD complete custom CA18 manifold

Image022.jpg

Isuzu 4EZ1

05072008552.jpg

my SR20VE plenum with Mazworks runners and flange

Picture020.jpg

UK SR20 customer. Big plenum big, throttle body....and all for a circuit car making ...... (check out the dyno sheet)

my20engine202nd20build20ready20for2.jpg

untitled.jpg

NA SR16VE in circuit Datsun 1200 coupe

15022010492.jpg

15022010503.jpg

complete custom CA18 manifold which was having the two ports per cylinder blended into 1....for a drift car which will be running on METHANOL :shades:

120820101194.jpg

120820101193.jpg

then another custom CA18 manifold retaining 8 ports, but now running 8 injectors as opposed to the original 4

110720101040.jpg

110720101044.jpg

4cylinder Mazda chasing 1200hp

27022011133.jpg

06032011168.jpg

06032011161.jpg (my favourite shot)

and last but not least, some close up examples of my welding

27032011011.jpg

27032011009-1.jpg

06062010997.jpg

27032011020.jpg

06062010992-1.jpg

Yeah I did get in contact but never went ahead with anything. I do too much one-off work to buy or have them made in bulk which is only when it's worth it. It takes me on average 4 hours to measure, draw and machine a flange from a piece of flat bar which isn't too bad.

Plus I like the idea of it being all made by ME lol

cheers Mitch...I still have a long way to go and am always looking for the next thing to help me improve. I am going to try a new gas mixture on my next bottle to clean the welds up a little more. Fingers crossed :S

Not that many would care or like what car this is going in....but this is my project...twin turbo VH45 with (of course) custom intake and exhaust manifolds and a whole lot more making its way into the engine bay

Picture004-1.jpg

Yeah I did get in contact but never went ahead with anything. I do too much one-off work to buy or have them made in bulk which is only when it's worth it. It takes me on average 4 hours to measure, draw and machine a flange from a piece of flat bar which isn't too bad.

oh k... i only really use him for one of pieces but i normally use LASER WIZARD in St Mary's for all my flanges

Plus I like the idea of it being all made by ME lol

screw that shit im a lazy ass the less work i have to do the better :lol: i even find it hard getting up every morning let alone working

I am going to try a new gas mixture on my next bottle to clean the welds up a little more. Fingers crossed :S

this sounds interesting

your spot on....I love the finish it comes out with

Yeah, just some different gas mixtures I am playing with ....more for appearance than anything else

Wow those welds are stunning.

Im feeling really amateur now :(

Good insperation tho I love your work.

Todd.

Dude that is fantastic.

How much would it cost for me to get you to do a S15 intake plennum?

Haha Isuzu 4EZ1?! nice. i used to have a 4ZC1-T (piazza turbo) in my Gemini back in the day!rolleyes.gif until i blew the head gasket and sold itsad.gif

Thanks ALL-W3T

Damo - I sent you a PM

This weekends little adventure is a complete custom manifold for a turbo'd Suzuki GTI, G13B....let the games begin

Cheers. Problem is there is so much room for improvement.

Cheers. Problem is there is so much room for improvement.

I don't see that as a problem. You obviously do this because you like it. So, if you knew everything there is to know, and did everything perfect in every way, whats left?

Thats why i love what i do, because it almost impossible to know everything and be the best at everything! Always learning.thumbsup.gif

your tight aye....but hey, the fun is in the challenge of trying to get there all while in the back of your head you know you wont hahaha

Do you work out the flow characteristics in these plenums? This goes for mitch too. Out of interest not criticism.

There is quite allot of physics behind a 'pressurised' non-symetrical plenum and i just wondered what you guys think? If you did do this is would be a very strong sales pitch which could be comparable to nismo plenums etc.

This can be worked out pre-fab and then tested via flowbench etc. What process do you guys use? I just noticed there is allot of people that offer custom plenums etc and it would be comforting that people aren't just making something that looks about right. Exact same goes for exhaust manifolds.

I am glad you asked, I can speak for myself, not Hypertune, but I am sure our ways are quite different.

All my plenums are a combination of experience (8+ years of building them) and flow/dyno testing.

Each plenum is so individual.....the 3 most important factors are budget, engine bay space and horsepower/torque requirements. Each of those will have an effect on the other.

After all that, my aim is to produce the most even and free flowing plenum possible within those 3 factors...sounds easy but not when you start getting into it.

Very inspiring work. i got me an ac/dc tig welder so i can f**k around with al! but i still havent got the chance to! all in good time! only did it ONCE! at trade school last year

Where do you get them throttle body's from

Or do you sell them do they come in a range of sizes

They come in 80mm and 100mm

Purchased on their own there are $450 & $550 respectively. Comes with TPS and TPS plug

How much would you charge to make another plenum exact same as the ca18 drift one with the ports blended to one I'm interested in buying one in the next month or so for my big hp ca build

How much would you charge to make another plenum exact same as the ca18 drift one with the ports blended to one I'm interested in buying one in the next month or so for my big hp ca build

pm on its way

Impressive stuff, been looking at your work on SAU and only just realized theres a fab thread here.

Real nice work, just starting myself to muck around on works ac/dc tig giving ally a crack. Baby steps and practice.

Again sweet work.

Thanks for that...good luck with the tig, just takes time and a lot of patience and keep at it.

Thanks for that. Hopefully over the next few days I will find the cable to upload the photos from my camera of the catch can and surge tanks I built on Sunday....I had lost my touch for a while, but I think it might be making another appearance hahahahahaha

Sick of custom plenums......well there is more coming LOL but for the time being, here are a couple of a surge tank and breather I made recently.

P5080123.jpg

P5080120.jpg

P5080104.jpg

P5080102.jpg