Sign in to follow this  
esse999

What to do ?

Hey Guys

I have been Training for over a year now, and i have doubled my strength which i'm happy with, but I havn't really gained anything, no real gains size wise.

I am about 6 foot 5' and weigh 76 kgs and 17, i have been taking many protein shakes over the year and basically twice daily

I have been thinking of getting like a pure weight gainer shake, but i was told that the higher the carbs your gonna get fat, The shakes i have been drinking are only like 6g of carbs per serve and the ones im looking are about 200g per serve, im unsure :S

i just want lean muscle defintion. to look like i have actually been working out.

I have no real idea what to do nutrition wise. eat healthy which i do, no rubbish or anything.

I have a pretty good routine i do at the gym. 5 days a week

If someone could just tell me what im doing wrong or guide me in the right the direction of what to do would be great :)

Cheers.

You're not eating enough. Simple as that.

Post up what you eat and also post up this "pretty good routine" you're doing.

You're not eating enough. Simple as that.

Post up what you eat and also post up this "pretty good routine" you're doing.

Meals Would go something like

Breakfast 3-4 weetbix with copious amounts of milk

(School)

2 hours later two ham and salad sandwhiches

Microwave what last night tea was, usually a tupperware box of pasta

Again another 2 hours:

The rest of the pasta and what ever else is in my lunch box.. usual popper and shit

Afternoon: Protien shake after Gym

Dinner: Usually chicken or other meat orientated with noodles and salads.

Before bed: Protein Shake

WorkOut

Chest

- Flat Uni Bench

- Incline Bench

- Decline Bench

- Cable cross overs

- dumbell bench

- if i feel like DB flys

Back

- Seated Row

- CG pull downs

- lat Pulldowns

- Pullups

- Some other thing i forget now

- Reverse Flys

Legs

- Leg Press

- Hamstring Curls

- Forget but it does upper legs.

- squats

- Standing and seated Calve raises

Shoulders

- Arnold Press

- Seated shoulder Press/DB

- Front raise

- Side raise to lateral hold

- Forget sorry...

Arms

- Bicep curls DB

- Ezy Bar curls

- Preacher Curls

- Tricep Kickbacks

- Skull Crusher

- Tricped Extensions

- overhead ^^^

- Some other Bicep one on the cables

You're not eating enough and there isn't enough protein in your diet. You should be aiming for around 3g of protein per KG of body weight. Easiest way to know if you're eating enough is do you get hungry easily and do you enjoy eating? if so, you're not eating enough.

Also that program is rubbish. Scrap it. Do this from now on:

Squat 3 x 10

Bench press 3 x 8

Bent row 3 x 8

Military press 3 x 8

SLDL 3 x 8

BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

not meaning to hijack the thread but on the topic of eating

Is this enough for a 6 2' 80kg 20yo, started the gym 4 months ago

6am cereal with creatain

9.30am Can of tuna with a snack bar

11.30 another can of tuna with a snack bar

3pm sandwich

6pm dinner, mainly rice and chicken with creatian

9pm protein shake

10-11pm some times what ever is left from dinner

Cheers

not meaning to hijack the thread but on the topic of eating

Is this enough for a 6 2' 80kg 20yo, started the gym 4 months ago

6am cereal with creatain

9.30am Can of tuna with a snack bar

11.30 another can of tuna with a snack bar

3pm sandwich

6pm dinner, mainly rice and chicken with creatian

9pm protein shake

10-11pm some times what ever is left from dinner

Cheers

Refer to this:

You're not eating enough and there isn't enough protein in your diet. You should be aiming for around 3g of protein per KG of body weight. Easiest way to know if you're eating enough is do you get hungry easily and do you enjoy eating? if so, you're not eating enough.

Also that program is rubbish. Scrap it. Do this from now on:

Squat 3 x 10

Bench press 3 x 8

Bent row 3 x 8

Military press 3 x 8

SLDL 3 x 8

BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

But just by looking at you're diet i'd probably say no. Are you struggling to put on weight? At 80kg you should be looking at roughly 2640cal to maintain or 3520cal toulk.

What about eating ?

What do you reckon i should go out and get ? that has high protein. ?

Edited by esse999

What about eating ?

Meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, whey protein, milk also eat lots of oats (breakfast), fruit and vegetables

boil a dozen eggs and eat them all day, have a few extra glasses of milk throughout the day and you should be on the way.

What about eating ?

Throw out all your pasta and noodles it's just useless carbs, you want complex carbs from fruit and veg and eat plenty of what kairazy has said.

get on a calorie counting website and input what you eat in a day and see where you are at, then change from there. You'd want somewhere around a 40/40/20 breakdown protein/carbs/fat. and somewhere around a smidge over 3000 calories a day for someone your weight (I think, anyone want to correct me). You have to put in the effort to gain and even more effort to gain lean

Chicken breast is the staple of my diet baked with any number of seasonings to make it delish, also relatively cheap if you bulk buy

Also your routine, is all that done in one session???? or is that split into 5 days? either way it's crap

What about eating ?

Throw out all your pasta and noodles it's just useless carbs, you want complex carbs from fruit and veg and eat plenty of what kairazy has said.

get on a calorie counting website and input what you eat in a day and see where you are at, then change from there. You'd want somewhere around a 40/40/20 breakdown protein/carbs/fat. and somewhere around a smidge over 3000 calories a day for someone your weight (I think, anyone want to correct me). You have to put in the effort to gain and even more effort to gain lean

Chicken breast is the staple of my diet baked with any number of seasonings to make it delish, also relatively cheap if you bulk buy

Also your routine, is all that done in one session???? or is that split into 5 days? either way it's crap

its a 5 day split... i thought it was pretty good :S

Is there something like i can just got the pantry and get, instead of cooking a chicken breast whenever im hungry ?

Something quick and simple ?

Im guessing fruit ?

Also what is a good calorie counting website ?

Split routine is crap. Full body training is where it's at. If you still insist on split routine at least add in compound exercises as your main focus.

No. There's no protein in fruit. Drink more milk and have cans of tuna in your pantry. If you don't like tuna and are too lazy to cook some chicken breast then we can't help you.

What about eating ?

its a 5 day split... i thought it was pretty good :S

Is there something like i can just got the pantry and get, instead of cooking a chicken breast whenever im hungry ?

Something quick and simple ?

Im guessing fruit ?

You need protein of which fruit has none, kairazy already listed the best sources for you.

Food intake is all about preperation, I set aside an hour every 2-3 nights and prepare 2-3 days worth of food. It is a bit of effort but that all depends how much you really want to reach your goals. I leave home at 5am and get home at 6:30pm but always find time to do this

Thanks for the advice guys.

Why do whole body workout everyday ?

I thought it was better to split each part up ?

What makes you think doing split routine is better?

Your hitting one muscle group a day then letting it do its thing while you hit another ?

your suggesting whole body everyday same routine ?

What makes you think doing split routine is better?

Your hitting one muscle group a day then letting it do its thing while you hit another ?

your suggesting whole body everyday same routine ?

Yeah, i'm an advocate for whole body workouts for reasons below:

- With full body training you get to train each muscle with greater frequency as opposed to split routine where you only hit each muscle group once a week

- Your body is designed to work as a whole, not broken down into individual bodyparts

- I believe it gives your body better balance

- More functional strength

As a beginner you should be training whole body 3 times a week and you should be able to do the exact same workout for the next 12-18 months while seeing improvement. This will save you 2 days a week to recover or do other little assistance exercises or cardio if you want. Don't change your routine until you can bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg.

I do a split rutine started 4-5 months ago and put on ten kilos since the gym, I can tell my eating has changed soo much eating a shit load more and mostly healty food.

I didn't say split routine doesn't work. You can do virtually any program split or full body and get results as long as you put in effort and eat properly. It's just that full body training is better... i'm just saying.

I have done full body on and off for years and havnt made very good gains with it.

Have made my best gains last few months with a high intensity split rutine.

Most people don't do full body properly as they find it too taxing on the body so they never really do it with enough intensity. I put on over 20kg using it but not only did i get bigger but it also allowed me to squat 175kg, bench 160kg, deadlift 257.5kg and put 120kg overhead, something which i don't think i could have done using a split routine.

I still stand by my statement but each to their own.

Definitely not eating enough. Just as an example, im about 192cm and going from a very lean 77 to 85kg took me about 3500 calories per day