Sign in to follow this  
Cherry Popper

leg routine

so i've been going to the gym now for just over a year, stuck religiously to the skinny guy routine, and the past 5 months i've had a strain in my left tricep, down into my elbow and upper forearm, which pretty much has made any pressing exercise/dips hurt. I have taken weeks off at a time, gone to the physio, had scans, but nothing seems to show up, went back to training only for it to hurt again, so i have decided to take a month or two off from doing any upper body work.

Now squatting has been the core of my workouts over the past year, but i'm just wondering if since i'll only be working legs, what the best approach is i can take. Should i just stick to sets of squats? or incorporate any other leg workout? i currently squat 150kg give or take given the state of my diet, and only doing them a few times a week and nothing else may get a bit boring.

Also has anyone experienced a similar injury? I can do deadlifts, bent rows, curls fine, but since this problem just isn't going away i'm deciding to cut upper body work out completely.

I've torn my shoulder and can't do anything but squat at the moment so I don't know why you'd want to avoid upper body workouts altogether when you can still do all those exercises.

If you still insist on cutting it out then you can always do squat variations; e.g. box squats, squats to pins, heavy partials, 20 reppers, jump squats etc. You can also do 'good mornings' to hit the glutes and hammies.

OP for someone who squats 150kg, this is such a newby post.

I'm calling you out. You dont squat 150kg.

bertstare.jpeg

Deej.

Holy shit, get your tinfoil hats its Deej Drugs_0541.gif

I do agree and found the reference to diet affecting the max squat to be a bit odd...

Note: I cannot squat 150Kg...

bertstare.jpeg

Deej.

You do make a good point but in the end it doesn't really matter how much he squats, he just wants to know what else he could do.

theres a lot of research out there about chronic injuries more to do with mindset than any actual physical injury. things like whiplash, if the patient thinks they are going to recover in a few days then chances are they will, whereas the people who think they need to isolate the area and do no exercise and take a week or two off work often end up with chronic pain with no physical explanations.

You can never squat enough.

If you can do them, SLDL's as well.

Till the cows come home.

bertstare.jpeg

Deej.

You make it out like 150 isn't novice squat?

If you can squat 150kg to proper depth, your more than likely squatting more than 90% of people at any commercial gym. It's not a huge squat but your doing alright and you should know have enough knowledge to answer the OP's question.

considering that i've taken up to a month off at a time, getting weekly physio, while still doing lifts that dont hurt my left arm, only for the pain to come back again makes sense to me to consider cutting out all upper body lifts that may have an indirect effect on my recovery. All im asking for is some advice.

And in regards to the reference to my diet affecting my max squat, i'm not sure about you but squatting on a day where your diet isn't in check compared to one where you consume proper meals before workout, kinda has a large effect on my squat. If you squat solidly for over a year from when you begin you should be able to reach 150kg from everything i've learnt so i'm glad to see i'm on track.

In the end i'll just stick to squatting and variations of it. Cheers for the help so far!

squat - heavy 5's

front squat - heavy 3's

good mornings - 6-8's not too heavy, feel the pull in your hammies.

All you need.