Sign in to follow this  
endlss

Trying to get fit again - Embarrassed about my strength

Hey everyone, hope i get some usefull advice here.

Basically i have a pretty serious shoulder injury from a few years of sport (severe multiple shoulder seperations) and have lost allmost all strength in my left shoulder ( i am right handed ) i struggle to carry grocery shopping if its slightly heavy if my shoulder is playing up, but as little as rolling over in bed to reach for my phone and my shoulder can dislocate.

Easy answer is surgery i know, but i have no health insurance and am on the waiting list (12 months +)

I do a heap of shoulder exercises recomended by doctors and through trial and error i can usually build up enough strength to continue my passion of riding BMX (i know i should stop but its just not mentally an option for me untill i have had surgery)

i only manage to ride about once a week and thats pretty well my only excercise (used to ride 3-4 times a week aswell as 8 years worth of kickboxing, Jui Jitsu, Karate, and MMA) all of which are far to serious for my shoulder to keep up.

I have started eating shit again (hard to eat healthy i work out of town and have a decent appetite, just easy to get takeaway where i am) I generally eat well and healthy at dinner time tho. And am too embarrassed to head to the gym and feel ill be judged if im only lifting piddly little weights (im a fair sized bloke, thinking around 96KG and 6'2) and knowing how fit i used to be and what i could do at the gym its easy for me to push to hard and hurt myself.

I just seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut, need some confidence boost and some guidence and yeah i think im just starting t

I'm the same...but sorta at the other end of the scale..

I'm 5'8", 66kg, and yeah obviously fairly scrawny...but my mid section just seems to be getting bigger..

And joining a Gym turned me away for a while, because the one which is closest to my house..is just full of bigger guys (i guess which is the norm for any gym), and yeah..guess it's lack of confidence to just do my own thing..

but have joined...so now to start the insanity!

Good luck with it all mate! U got a GF or anything? Anyone that can sorta push you to do it? Whole reason i joined the Gym was because my GF will be going there fairly regularly as well..so seems stupid for me not to go

Yeah i have a gorgeous missus, must have scored that before i got f**king lazy and started to fatten out. (im by no means fat but i have a gut on me now and fitness has dropped x1000)

she just wants me to be happy / doesnt push me hard enough, just says to do what will make me happy

Gym boys! Its for everyone. Even that big fella you see wasnt so big untill he started gym. So get into it get fit, healthy and confident.

Gym boys! Its for everyone. Even that big fella you see wasnt so big untill he started gym. So get into it get fit, healthy and confident.

Couldnt agree any more mate!!

and if they do judge you, then they are simply a tool for motorvation.....

Although im 195cm and now 110kgs, I am by no means a meathead beefcake, but more so just a sizable friendly face, I actually like to help motorvate others!!

So yeah dont worry about others, and just do your own thing, they are prob siting back wishing they could run 10kms non stop like YOU.... :thumbsup:

Thanks to guys who replied, to the other 190 people who viewed this, laughed to themselves then left without posting

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

You weren't even really aking a question for us to answer. If your too embarrassed about going to the gym then not much we can help you with there. You just need to suck it up, go there and do your shit and not worry about anyone else.

If you do enough reading in this forum, especially the article section, you should have enough information for you to get in there and be confident in what you're doing. The chances are, if you use the information provided, you will more than likely be one of a few people who actually know what they're doing.

The sooner you get in there and start doing it the better you'll get. I didnt know anything when i started going either. Its bad seeing beginners in there trying to push way more weight then they can handle because they dont want to look weak. I couldnt care less what anybody else is lifting anymore because at the end of the day it doesnt affect my goals. Start with small weight and perfect your form and you'll make much better progress. Stick to free weights rather then machines. As far as eating goes, if you are gonna work hard in the gym dont shortchange yourself by eating shit.

Thanks to guys who replied, to the other 190 people who viewed this, laughed to themselves then left without posting

Don't think anyone would have laughed and left, it's just inyour mind, and other people at the gym should be too busy lifting weights to be worried about why your doing :)

I don't think many people laughed and left, most of us just saw what the other guys had said and thought yep.. thats about right and then closed it. I highly doubt anyone at the gym is going to judge you. Everyone started somewhere and most are fairly chilled. If you go consistently you'll probably just get the nod from the other regulars and thats about it haha.

Man you have to get the thing out of your head that other people care what you do in the gym. Anyone that judges you while you are there is a f*ckwit. I used to care, but honestly couldnt care less any more. Ive only just started back up seriously since breaking my leg in 3 places two years ago, and im by no means big (173cm, 75kgs), but yeah just get in there and do what you have to do. Leave your ego at the door.

Get yourself an iPod. Helped me just concentrate on what i was doing, not what everyone around me was up to.

dont come on here expecting sympathy. everyone has their path to walk in life and most of the time its full of obstacles. the buck stops with you, its your own decision to live healthy, and happily or lazy and fat. its a plain choice. how much do you value your health. sure you have to do the hard yards.. but thats why weights are so good. they give you the mental edge to destroy anything that might become an obstacle in your life journey...

hell, even alwyn cosgrove reckons it helped him beat cancer. be a man, harden the f**k up and use the availability of foods to make yourself a true tribute to the concept known as man....

in third world countries, they die from a lack of ANY food.. and would do just about anything to live happy and strong...

you come on here, complaining you eat like shit and have no motivation... wow... at least you have that luxury..

get an ipod? wtf.. get a set of balls.

whats your choice?

You can just get over it and lift light weights... I lift light weights and I'm still getting results... I don't really notice anyone laughing at me but only an absolute bone head is going to judge you on what you lift so who gives a shit about them. If anyone were to ask you could just tell the truth and say you're injured and trying to rehabilitate. Failing that you could just get a few dumbells for home in the mean time?

First off, I reckon the best thing to do is running (: it's free, easy and you can do it anywhere. I agree though once you lose motivation to do something it's hard to get it back - this time last year I'd run 5km on top of everything I did (other trainings ect) but now I'll rarely run in my own time. But seriously if you don't train and don't get fit you'll regret it, if you do train and get fit you won't regret it. All through high school I've been placing well in state running (mid to long distance. 50/100km relays) and I've never regretted a thing. The only thing I do regretting is slowing down and now I cant be f**ked doing much anymore and thats my biggest regret.

Also there's nothing wrong with doing light weights. Doing lots of reps with light weights will make you tone and lose body fat. They also give you a lot of muscle injurance, and make your muscles more compact, as oppose to heavy weights with minimal reps which just give you short bursts of strength but nothing you can really maintain.

I might be slightly bias as I row and therefore I do a shit tone of fitness etc but anyone can get fit (: good luck, train hard

Don't worry about others at gym.

Do extreemly light weights so you don't hurt yourself. Go gym Mon-Fri.

However if you do want to get back into good shape you have no option but to go on a very strict "low carb diet".

Have 1800-2200 calories per day.

Have 5 meals a day.

1800-2200 calories \ 5 meals = This will tell you how much calories you will need per meal.

Start off with your 1st meal at 8:00am then eat every 3 hours.

Drink 3 litres of water a day.

No softdrink at all!

Pepsi Max or Coke Zero are OK.

Give it a shot, if you follow the diet properly you will loose your bodyfat!

hahaha

dont come on here expecting sympathy. everyone has their path to walk in life and most of the time its full of obstacles. the buck stops with you, its your own decision to live healthy, and happily or lazy and fat. its a plain choice. how much do you value your health. sure you have to do the hard yards.. but thats why weights are so good. they give you the mental edge to destroy anything that might become an obstacle in your life journey...

hell, even alwyn cosgrove reckons it helped him beat cancer. be a man, harden the f**k up and use the availability of foods to make yourself a true tribute to the concept known as man....

in third world countries, they die from a lack of ANY food.. and would do just about anything to live happy and strong...

you come on here, complaining you eat like shit and have no motivation... wow... at least you have that luxury..

whats your choice?

This, this and this.

I can't stand people that want to improve themselves but they have a negative mindset and constantly put walls up. Push yourself to the limit and break those f**king walls down.

Some great words from Bruce Lee to live by.

"I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine."

Basically, hit the gym and don't give a f**k about what anyone else might be thinking of you.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."

Pretty much self explanatory.

and

bruce-lee-quote.gif

ok, so diet it is.

I just joined back up at my old MMA gym and am going to be doing just cardio till i sort my shit out, then back into classes. Aiming to have a fight by early next year.

did some google and ive come up with this

Target Nutrients

Calories 1949 cals

Kilojoules 8185.8Kjs

Carbs 241g

Fat 59g

how does that look? no idea how the f**k they came up with that. used age current weight and height.

gonna try these meals for a month and see how i go

breakfast (toasted chicken and cheese sandwich)

White bread

2 slices: 180 calories

Chiken thigh

80 grams: 170 calories

Bega cheese

1 slice (21gm): 60 calories

total 410 calories

snack

Bananas

1 large: 100 calories

Apples

1 medium: 40 calories

140 callories

Lunch (ceaser chicken wrap)

Calories Fat Carbs Protein

363 7g 45g 42g

Tota 363 calories

300-400gram beef steak for dinner

230 calories

Maybe a after danner piece of fruit.....

another 10 calories.

IM only at 1500 calories... bad or good?

no softdrink is easy, and i allready drink at least 2 litres a day...

on the right track?

ok, so diet it is.

I just joined back up at my old MMA gym and am going to be doing just cardio till i sort my shit out, then back into classes. Aiming to have a fight by early next year.

did some google and ive come up with this

Target Nutrients

Calories 1949 cals

Kilojoules 8185.8Kjs

Carbs 241g

Fat 59g

how does that look? no idea how the f**k they came up with that. used age current weight and height.

gonna try these meals for a month and see how i go

breakfast (toasted chicken and cheese sandwich)

White bread

2 slices: 180 calories

Chiken thigh

80 grams: 170 calories

Bega cheese

1 slice (21gm): 60 calories

total 410 calories

snack

Bananas

1 large: 100 calories

Apples

1 medium: 40 calories

140 callories

Lunch (ceaser chicken wrap)

Calories Fat Carbs Protein

363 7g 45g 42g

Tota 363 calories

300-400gram beef steak for dinner

230 calories

Maybe a after danner piece of fruit.....

another 10 calories.

IM only at 1500 calories... bad or good?

no softdrink is easy, and i allready drink at least 2 litres a day...

on the right track?

I don't like that. Are you overweight and looking to lose weight? Even so, that still too few calories and way too many carbs. For someone your weight you should be looking at 2112cal if your goal is to lose weight, or 3168cal to maintain; with a macronurtient breakdown of 35%/50%/15% or 40%/40%/20% (Protein/Fat/Carbs).

With that diet you've posted being only 1500cal is too low. You will lose too much muscle especially as there is very little protein in it and too many carbs. If you're not worried about fat loss then there is no harm in keeping the carbs but just add more protein and fats.

I don't like that. Are you overweight and looking to lose weight? Even so, that still too few calories and way too many carbs. For someone your weight you should be looking at 2112cal if your goal is to lose weight, or 3168cal to maintain; with a macronurtient breakdown of 35%/50%/15% or 40%/40%/20% (Protein/Fat/Carbs).

With that diet you've posted being only 1500cal is too low. You will lose too much muscle especially as there is very little protein in it and too many carbs. If you're not worried about fat loss then there is no harm in keeping the carbs but just add more protein and fats.

fark, for breakfast and lunch im really limited to what i can get from a canteen in an industrial outback area.

what about sausage bacon and egg wraps?

i start work kinda early so its not easy for me to get up any earlier to cook my own food, i just order at start of each week and my breakfast is ready for me when i get to work.

I guess i only really want to lose maybe max 10kg, wouldnt be fussed if i didnt lose any. my weight hasnt really fluctuated but ive lost all my body tone and now have a bit of a fat stomach. i have almost always been this weight (about 92-95) but ive always looked alot leaner and fitter and i was alot fitter...

Who can recomend a better eating plan that suits my situation

(i dont eat oats, and dont tell me to f**king harden up and wake up earlier and do my own shopping/cooking ect)

Cook the night before when your preparing dinner saves on twice the cleaning aswell.

I cook all my stuff the day before pack it all up and then just reheat it during the day.

^^^ what he said. Cook the night before when you get home, or cool on a Sunday arvo for the week. Grab 6 chicken breasts, chuck em in the oven for 10-12 mins on 200 degrees and cook up some broccoli, cauli and pumpkin and bam, lunch for the week.

didnt even think of that....

oh yeah i dont eat any vegetables either.... the texture/taste makes me dry reach

You need to get into salad then chief.. Gotta have something to keep everything 'moving along' ;)

salad is no problem, chicken/lettuce/cheese.... and a little dressing?

salad is no problem, chicken/lettuce/cheese.... and a little dressing?

slicing cherry tomatoes in half is also easy, as well as slices of cucumber, and if you want to put a bit more effort in, then peel some carrots and add them!!

But yes....just a little dressing, NO MAYO!!

didnt even think of that....

oh yeah i dont eat any vegetables either.... the texture/taste makes me dry reach

If you cant even deal with eating vegetables then no wonder you're scared of the gym.

Sack up and do something about :thumbsup:

well gyms always have the jocks who think they are gods gift and really you just ignore them. If you don't you will become just like them focused on your self image.