Sign in to follow this  
mitch bucannon

Some of my Fabrication Pics

! wonder what other benefits moving the injectors closer has created. kinda like direct injection! :D

! wonder what other benefits moving the injectors closer has created. kinda like direct injection! :D

its not just closer its at a better angle

I.D injectors have a wide spray pattern which is why they work better when being sprayed at the right angle

u notice the difference at slower intake air speeds

Well sorry for the lack of updates guys, i haven't really been that motivated lately. It sorta comes in waves. I'm doing some stuff on my car again so motivation is back.thumbsup.gif

My internet is slow at the moment, so i won't upload too many until it clicks over again.

I wasn't doing much stuff on cars for a while there, just random jobs around the factory.

I made a new welding bench. Love it!

Picture 003.jpgPicture 002.jpg

Got a new welding helmet. Which is ridiculously awesome, even if my hair still gets stuck in the headband.

Picture 001.jpg

I made some workshop trolley's. Forgot to get a pic of them finished.

Picture 018.jpg

I had to make a custom intake manifold. Which required a custom plenum flange, believe it or not. I knew what i wanted, so my boss said go draw it on the CAD software and he'll machine it for me! Stoked! I've mucked around a bit on Solidworks and Mastercam, so when it came to using this, it wasn't as hard as i first imagined.

Picture 015.jpgPicture 012.jpgPicture 013.jpg

Thats it for now

Thank you for all the kind words guys!! I'll try to keep up to date.

Regarding the injector position, i've never heard of anyone else with this problem. When i looked at the injectors on a flowbench, I couldn't believe I was the only one having dramas. It does have a central "beam" of spray, or whatever, but also has a wide spray surrounding this beam. Looking at that, then looking at the inlet manifold, made it pretty clear. Considering my tuner is really anal, and he knew it wouldn't be a big deal to do, that's probably why he mentioned it. End result is, car runs alot smoother.

Hey guys , been pretty busy lately trying to knock this supra over. It's almost there, just the exhaust to go I think. wacko.gif

I had to mount the Tial 60mm wastegate, plumb it back, and make a 4" dump pipe. The turbine housing has a 5" outlet, so i made a cone to bring it down to 4".

Picture 051.jpg Picture 055.jpg

Picture 057.jpgPicture 059.jpg

Picture 061.jpgPicture 063.jpg

Picture 065.jpgPicture 067.jpg

Picture 069.jpgPicture 071.jpg

Also finished off the radiator. I used Ford fans. There's no way this thing will ever overheat!

Picture 020.jpgPicture 022.jpg

Knocked up a 6" intake pipe and airbox

Picture 024.jpg Picture 026.jpg

Picture 028.jpgPicture 030.jpg

Picture 032.jpg

Also made a real quick intercooler, and some 3.5" piping.

Picture 034.jpgPicture 036.jpg

Picture 038.jpgPicture 042.jpg

Enjoy, Mitch

that car has been there for ages every time i swing past its there

good to see some progress done on it

dam i wish u would resize your pictures they take for ever to load with my crappy wireless interweb

when you say you made the rad and i/c, do you mean you have cores premade and you just design the end tanks or are you making the cores yourself too?? :Drugs:

:humpleg: :humpleg: :humpleg:

Wow, great work! Beautiful Fab work...

Just one question though... Your swirl pots on the radiators, why do you run them backwards? Isn't the coolant supposed to enter the top and exit at the bottom?

Not trying to be smart, just want to see if there is a reason...

nengun-3503-02-billion-swirl_pot_header_tank.png

this is one of my favorite threads on the site

i love looking at different fabrication

and your work is the best i have ever seen

you are a true craftsman

when you say you made the rad and i/c, do you mean you have cores premade and you just design the end tanks or are you making the cores yourself too?? Drugs_0541.gif

humpy.gifhumpy.gifhumpy.gif

No, we don't have the facilities to manufacture cores. I wish we did though...... :sex:

Wow, great work! Beautiful Fab work...

Just one question though... Your swirl pots on the radiators, why do you run them backwards? Isn't the coolant supposed to enter the top and exit at the bottom?

Not trying to be smart, just want to see if there is a reason...

nengun-3503-02-billion-swirl_pot_header_tank.png

Taark,

Having the inlet at the top, and the outlet on the bottom is the preferred option and is how we do it where possible (Like the CRX on page 2).

Problem is, most of the time the radiator inlet is too high to allow us to do that. The only way to do it would be to have the radiator outlet hose go down hill to

the bottom of the pot, which would leave a huge air pocket in the radiator when you fill the system. To overcome that, you would need an extra bleed on the radiator tank.

Adding more bleeds when not necessary is more detrimental in our opinion than having a less than perfect swirl pot.

Fact is that even "backwards", they do an excellent job of keeping any air out of the system.

So to sum it up, we try to make the radiator swirl pot a high point for both the engine and the radiator, with both going up hill. That makes sure it bleeds well even static.

If we can do it like that and have the radiator pipe at the bottom, we do. If we can't, radiator pipe just goes as low as possible and we don't sweat it. Works perfect, every time.

Clear as mud?

this is one of my favorite threads on the site

i love looking at different fabrication

and your work is the best i have ever seen

you are a true craftsman

Wow, thanks Kdog! :thumbsup:

when you say you made the rad and i/c, do you mean you have cores premade and you just design the end tanks or are you making the cores yourself too?? Drugs_0541.gif

humpy.gifhumpy.gifhumpy.gif

Sorry man I missed your post. No, all I do is specify the dimensions and type of core, then fabricate the end tanks, mounting system and fan/shroud setup.

What brand cores do you use for your rad and intercoolers?

For radiators, and some oil coolers, I use PWR. I have used a couple of Adrad radiator cores in the past. For Intercoolers, it depends on the car, budget and purpose. These can include, Garrett, Bell, and also other cores that are made overseas (not Asia)

Edited by mitch bucannon

Just a small update tonight....

These are a couple of things I was working on last week.

Picture 080.jpg

Picture 077.jpg

Also had Pistol Petes 180 at work. Here's the dump pipe I had to modify to fit the new turbo setup. Also did a few other bits and pieces, but didn't get any pics sorry, although he might of, if you want to check his build thread.

Picture 086.jpg

Enjoy guys

what kind of place do u work at man? this is exactly what i want to get into! just dont know what it would be called :S

what kind of place do u work at man? this is exactly what i want to get into! just dont know what it would be called confused.gif

Pages 1 and 4 my friend. I'm employed as an Engineering Fabricator.

what kind of place do u work at man? this is exactly what i want to get into! just dont know what it would be called confused.gif

Pages 1 and 4 my friend. I'm employed as an Engineering Fabricator.

i knew i missed something :P i need to get more sleep i think lol

I know this has been said before but it needs to be said again

Your work is TOP notch second to none

Welds are so beautiful esp that dump pipe u just posted

Well it's certainly been a while since i've been on here!

Nothing exciting to report...

Here's a few pics of what's been happening lately.

Had to re-pipe this twin turbo VE commodore. It had silicone reducers to silicone expanders to mild steel hacked bends to AFM.....

Customer was blown away. Looks and performs a million times better!

IMG_1066.JPGIMG_1068.JPG

Some of you may have seen my custom power steering pump bracket on my 180 I did in previous pages. One of my customers had seen it when I was designing it, anyway after he had some problems with his RB26 spitting belts he asked if I could design him one like mine.

Photos arn't in order sorry.

Much like mine, I made a aluminium template to roughly sit it where I wanted and to test adjustability with a dummy belt I made. When I was happy, I drew this..

IMG_1130.PNG

Made some drawings, sent them off to laser wizard, which was a nice change from cutting it all with a grinder like I did with mine, and bbq'd it together....

IMG_1169.JPGIMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1173.JPGIMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1177.JPGIMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1226.JPGIMG_1225.JPG

The end result is a belt that's virtually impossible to spit off, and a s***load more room up top....

IMG_1228.JPG

Also, you may notice the chopper wheel on the back of the balancer. I did this ages ago, but basically machined the chopper wheel to slip over the back of the balancer and weld it on. Then made a billet adaptor to hold a pick up sensor off the front of the sump.

The manager wanted to give his uncle a xmas pressie so we made him this....

Brought back good memories of working with timber, should do it more often

IMG_1179.JPG

A good customer of ours has a titanium exhaust for his evo 10. The pipe cracked pretty much all the way round coming out of the muffler, so under the knife she went.....

Mines the fillet weld

IMG_1222.JPG

I just bought one of these...

IMG_1145.JPGspacenavigator1.jpg

It's a space navigator made by 3D connexion. Primarily used for 3D modelling. Allows you to position the part in anyway you want with one hand, while using the other hand to operate the mouse. Wicked toy!

That's it folks, enjoy.

Mitch

Hey champ are you able to make more of the powersteering brackets like the one you did? I had constant problems like your mate, mein kept throwing belts all the time aswell and annoying as shit. If you can please pm me a price it would be greatly appreciated.

Picture 061.jpg

Enjoy, Mitch

just wondering with the dump pipe is that just butt welded with filler rod? or do you do anything to reinforce it at the join like flare the pipe and recess one into the other?

and also love your work

Well the turbine housing outlet flange has a recess for the tube to slip into, so a fillet weld is used for that. With the pipe on pipe, it's just butt welded together with filler rod.

Thank you kind sir!

Great work there, im currently in my 2nd year of my sheetmetal apprenticship, its mainly food equipment and benchtops and stuff but id love to be doing this kind of stuff someday